Polk Forum Tapeheads -- how about a dedicated thread for analog tape reproducers?

Options

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    No LZ reels here. Still just making my own recordings of various artists.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Here's a photo of my Crown tapedeck
    Cheers, Ken
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Super nice Ken.
    FYI, I passed on the Otari I looked at this weekend as it did not work quite as well as the seller had me believe. Skunked again.... :'(
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Just looked at the Crown pic again. That thing looks brand new.....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi oldrocker, sorry about the Otari, I hope you find a better one.
    Yes, the Crown is in really good shape and the cabinet was made by the guy who made them for Crown before he retired. Solid machine from America's heartland!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The Crown decks were amazing -- "Built missionary tough" (seriously)!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_International#History
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    So, with the coming of the new LZ re-re-re-re-releases, I was hunting around to see what people thought of them. I ran across, the statement
    "hires reel to reel rips of II & IV are quite good" and wondered if any of you
    have them?

My brother owns III which sounds good. Not stellar, but good. Sorry, if I have heard II & IV (don't remember for sure), it's been too long for me to remember.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • oldrocker
    Options
    To the RTR experts. Will a Teak E-3 Head Demagnetizer work ok to use on the heads of my Akai 280D SS as I'm sure it is need of this procedure.
    Thanks all.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Hello,
    To be honest with you, I don't believe the Teac unit will be strong enough to demagnetize anything but the weakest of magnetic fields. This is the only one that will do any good:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RB-Annis-Han-D-Mag-Tape-Head-Tape-Path-Demagnetizer-Model-S-115-NEW-/191420522603
    Regards, Ken
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Thanks Mr. Ken for the advise. Its always appreciated. I'm sure this 280 is in need. Maybe someday, I'll brave the question of what RTR I should be considering. :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heh -- as if we'd have any opinions about that!
  • oldrocker
    Options
    That's why I have not asked yet. Too much of a champagne taste and a skunk beer budget.. :s Then again, spring and summer are around the corner which means time to focus on outdoor projects and climb out of the rabbit hole for awhile :#
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Stellavox, Nagra, Studer/ReVox, Otari, TASCAM ;- )

EDIT: Heck, I forgot Tandberg, Scully, and Crown; how could I do that? :-P
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Being a newbie, have not heard of those brands. Will read up on them.
    A Crown like Ken has sure would look and probably sound good here sitting on my shelf... B)

Thanks for the list Mr. Hardy....
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I would donate body parts to get a nice Crown stereo deck in good working order.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Mr. Hardy,
    I know I'm supposed to getting out of the rabbit hole but the Otari MX5050 I looked at a while back and passed on is still available. The guy is dropping his price, "must need the money". The outside was rough, the hub adapters were gone and although it did work half way ok, which has to be due to it just probably needing some cleaning and fine tuning. I've not seen many reviews. Have you ever heard one? Also as per hifi engine comments/reviews, the xlr cable plugins were wired/designed backwards than normal xlr inputs and requires a special xlr cable??? That part is confusing for me and I will read up on that again. Just not sure if anyone here has one or heard one play.

Thanks
    David
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a couple of them -- they are very good decks, but many (mine included!) belonged to radio stations & small studios and, consequently, were "rode hard and put away wet".
    The Otari is (with reservations, of sorts) on the short list of suggested machines for "The Tape Project" http://tapeproject.com/machines/

Check the heads for wear -- banged up cosmetics are no big deal, but the heads are critical. Also check the rubber components. On the bright side, they were built for heavy/pro use; they're quite rugged.

Not sure about the XLRs -- I (ahem) to date have used the headphone jack for unbalanced output :-P
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Thanks Mr. Hardy,
    You know this already but ALWAYS appreciated!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Here's my Revox PR99 tape deck
    Cheers, Kenlhj15zq0jvlw.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ooooooh...

If you ever feel like adopting an upper-middle-aged son, Ken... shoot me a PM! ;- )
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Get in line Mr. Hardy cause I do windows. Can even mow the lawn with straight lines, I thank you... :#

Sweet Revox Ken. Did you do the blue side panels?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, thought I had a line on a Teac but was shot down over the target. :/

I picked up a Dukane Micromatic film projector with a cassette player
    in the back... from the trash heep ...
    No idea what to do with it :*
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I'd suggest, respectfully, putting it back to rest.

The tape transport might be a Wollensak (depending on how old it is) -- post a photo if you get bored or motivated enough :- )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks, the PR99 is a professional version of the B77, which in turn is an updated version of the venerable A77. The PR99 is mostly found as a half track deck that operates at 7.5ips and 15ips, although it could be ordered in lots of different variations. It has balanced inputs and outputs, although most audiophiles prefer to get their output signal from the "monitor" outputs.
    They come with a metal enclosure that is pretty utilitarian so I had it powder coated the blue you see. Another good thing about it is that there is an extremely detailed, three ring binder with foldout schematic drawings service manual that is excellent. This is a beautiful introduction to understanding everything that goes into making a tape recorder work.
    Part of the allure of owning a tape recorder is being able to "look under the hood" and seeing how they work. The same things that appeal to motorcycle and vintage VW owners. The "zen" of understanding something at a very basic level and being able to change a spark plug or adjust the timing and see the results. In order to do this you need a roadmap to guide you and this is where the Revox service manuals are tops. There's also a service guide written by Jack Clark that is excellent.
    Now there are small companies that have started up to support the Revox enthusiasts, offering custom motor run caps, bearing replacement kits, audio path replacement cap kits, etc.
    Cheers, Ken
  • oldrocker
    Options
    A good "roadmap" is the good to have along with the people in this place. I've been learning "attempting" to learn on my GX 4000 D. I've pulled her apart about 5 times now and every time, I'm amazed at how these things work and the engineering that went into them.

I did have a small victory as I took apart the entire supply and take up reel assembly, put it back together and it plays great. The rewind speed seems a bit faster. At least it continues to work and I didn't mess anything up...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    will do MHardy. Was hoping you would post!
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I'd suggest, respectfully, putting it back to rest.

The tape transport might be a Wollensak (depending on how old it is) -- post a photo if you get bored or motivated enough :- )

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    in the mean time, saved from the scape heap...
    jaxcfob0kovl.jpg
    gonna need a manual.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Here is the Dukane
    super micromatic cassette Duhickies4mpux5htapl.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cleaned up the tascam. FF and REW work fine. Play not so much.za7iraxiqyug.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Of course the drive belt is gone. I find these a PITA to replace.
    The inside is TEAC which I forgot about...
    es97n73nvayr.jpg