Polk Forum Tapeheads -- how about a dedicated thread for analog tape reproducers?

Options

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    I would like to add a TEAC to my stuff, I know of a TEAC A 2300 SX, is this worth pursuing from a performance point?

What reviews I could find aren't great nor awfully bad for an entry level deck. Stated it works and is very clean looking.

Thanks All..
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    TEACs of that era were quite solid & dependable. That's about all I can say.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    I've have heard they are dependable, have an associate that's a big Teac fan. Keeps going on and on about them although he does not have one at the moment.

Think I might pass on this one, just not the "visual" I'm looking for.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Solid performers. Just like the old Akai's. I have 2 Teacs & Pioneer RT909 & have owned Akai & Sony's Pioneers. There all good if their working :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    I never had r2r, but I did have a nice Akai auto reverse cassette.
    I used to put all my albums on tape immediately. I used to
    have 3-400 of them all Maxell high bias stuff. I used 90 minute ones,
    so an album would fit on each side.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    Options
    ^^^^ i still record on cassette & r2r & find it a fun hobbie. I look for new blank cassettes at local Goodwills & Salvation Armys when i can. They come out pretty good
    Randy/Maine
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    ^^^^ i still record on cassette & r2r & find it a fun hobbie. I look for new blank cassettes at local Goodwills & Salvation Armys when i can. They come out pretty good

IF you are looking for some blank cassettes, I have some I could let go for a decent price. Probably more than Goodwill, but cheaper than the bay. By the way did you ever get a chance to listen to that Kennedy assassination tape I sent you on R2R?
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    xvggblnyuh1g.jpg
    Does this count?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2015
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    xvggblnyuh1g.jpg
    Does this count?

Are those yours? I would have killed to have had one of the larger ones in my Apt. in Grad School in the early '80s!

cnh

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • oldrocker
    Options
    I had a few like those way back in the day. Should have kept them as some sell for a few bucks these days...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    half credit for the boom boxes ;- )
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Uh oh, been running my 280 D SS for a short while and as a song was playing it just stopped, then went to rewind by itself. I do not need this tonight :s Its been running perfect since I got it.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    hmm... sounds like, perhaps, a tension (tape tension, not your tension!) issue -- might even be tape-specific...
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Thats what I thought. Even though the tapes I've made these new recordings on are, unopened/sealed tapes, they were many years old when I bought this thing. I have noticed "from a visual" the tapes after being played don't seem to be quite rewound back up even. That "made no sense"
    You know how a the outer edges of a tape is nice and flush when its wound around the reel, the sides are even and smooth, well after playing and an occasional FF/REW they sometimes appear not consistently winded backup on the reel. I'll get a picture..
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Sadly you can't see it to well. But the metal reel always has that "not wound" perfect look of the tape. The plastic reel to the right is always consistent. Sorry for the bad pics..qym0fb87l9rk.jpg
  • oldrocker
    Options
  • oldrocker
    Options
    That's a little better. The tape is just not winding as good as it could. Although, it has not went into rewind by itself again so far.
  • boston1450
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    boston1450 wrote: »

IF you are looking for some blank cassettes, I have some I could let go for a decent price. Probably more than Goodwill, but cheaper than the bay. By the way did you ever get a chance to listen to that Kennedy assassination tape I sent you on R2R?
    I listened to all of them :smile: the Teac r2r gets used often.....i have tons of blank new cassettes. Thank you for the offer. I have been picking them up for years. I have cassettes from the 70's i bough back in the day when cd wasnt around. Packrat as the Mrs's says. Im a tape junky
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Sadly you can't see it to well. But the metal reel always has that "not wound" perfect look of the tape. The plastic reel to the right is always consistent. Sorry for the bad pics..qym0fb87l9rk.jpg
    Is it slightly bent? Maybe someone sat something on it. The metal ones can easily be bent & not noticable to the eye. With the metal one-place it on & FF it & try looking to see if its straight & sitting on it properly. Just a though
    Randy/Maine
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Spot on, I switched to a plastic reel and no problems. The metal appears to be off ever so slightly..Phew, back to normal now... :D
  • boston1450
    Options
    Easy fix. Phew..... Awhile back I stopped by a local Goodwill one day to look at LP's & what are those-haul a$$ n grabbed 5-6 10inch metal take up reels. All for 1.99. Oh yeah. All seem to be ok. But i could be in the same situation when i do use them.
    Randy/Maine
  • oldrocker
    Options
    I am happy. I hope the one's you picked up are all '"straight & perfect." I do prefer the look of the metal ones spinning.

The last stop I made at a similar place, I picked up a Kenwood KA 208 for $3.99. The screws and various parts are worth it. On another note "Harvey" the rabbit deep in that hole seems to have thrown a lasso on me over this RTR thing..
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You (all) probably know this already -- but the fast wind modes on a reel to reel deck don't pack the tape very evenly -- at all -- on the reel. Consequently, the (ahem) "best practice" (I hate that term... but it fits here!) is to 'slow wind' (i.e., to "play") a tape onto its reel when you're finished listening to it and are preparing to put it away for storage. There are practical (as opposed to aesthetic) reasons for this, too -- a poorly packed reel of tape runs the risk of cyclic noise on playback after storage due to (for example) regions of self-erasure on the tape where it was (shall we say) too tightly wound.

... or something like that :-P

Guess we all need a second deck for "tape packing"... ;- )
  • boston1450
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks Mark-Ken-others. Mark i didnt know that. As you know im new to r2r also. I learn alot by the info & tips i read wherever. Im sure we all Appreciate any/all advice
    Randy/Maine
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In fact many tapes are stored "tail out" meaning that once the tape has played from left to right the tape is left in the played position. To play the tape it is first rewound from right to left and then played. This is done so that the print through (caused by one magnetic layer causing a slight magnetizing of the nearby layers) would be a following echo rather than a "pre-echo" which is more noticeable. On tape that are stored this way I place a small paper dot (they can be found a stationery stores) on the upper right hand corner of the inside of the tape box. This tells me I have to place the tape on the right platter instead of the left and rewind it first.
    This practice also insures a very smooth even "pancake" since it is slowly wound during play.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Yes THANKS guys. Great info. So glad this thread was started!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I have high hopes for this thread ;- )

Mr. Swauger is an outstanding "taper" resource; Ken, thanks for your contributions!
  • erniejade
    Options
    Sorry to come back late on this. Yes. They are mine. I had a lot more but since I got married a couple of years ago I am down to 35 of them... and I also had 7 jukeboxes. Im down to 4. 9lavp6j8n9ff.jpg
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I have a friend in MA who collects jukeboxes -- but his are of the ancient variety, playing 10" 78 rpm records and equipped with push-pull 2A3 amplifiers :- )
  • erniejade
    Options
    I do have a 1955 Seeburg J. and a 1963 160 that are tube unit The 2 bottom left have 8-track on them. @mhardy6647 does that get me more then 1/2 credit LOL. :D