newbie with amping questions

13»

Comments

• Ok there's too many options on interconnects, I don't know what to get. Hell I don't even know what connectors I need on the interconnects.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited December 2014
    Matt
    Did you get a AVR with full set of preouts? and did you get a 2 channel amp or 3 channel amp? you would need 2 or 3 analog interconnects /RCA's and you would have to know the length yourself. and you need 1 HDMI cable for bluray to AVR and then 1 HDMI to projector or TV (not sure how far away that connection would be?) if your projector has HDMI connections.
    As for brands and what best depends on your budget.

then you would run your IC's from the AVR's preouts for front left/right & center to your amp. and then your AVR could power you 2 surrounds or more if that is your setup.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Nice AVR! I agree with what Skip said, just remember you will only need 5 IC cables to hook up you amp to your Receiver and not 5 pairs.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,460
    Nice receiver and amp combo,

Call Doug @ Douglas Connections and wire them up with some 12AWG furex speaker wire. I would also look int maybe a pair of RTi6 for rear speakers to make it a good 7.1 setup.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • i have already bought some 12 awg kimber kable for the speaker cables. what ends do i need for the IC cables
  • mrloren
    ohh kimber very nice IC cables should be RCA from receiver to amp
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    You bought Kimber speaker cables, you can't use that to connect the receiver to the amp. Buy already made rca interconnects, Kimber hero's, Signal cable analog 2's, Douglas connections, just to name a few.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    Your receivers RCA out to the AMPS RCA in you need RCA cables. Radio Shack ones will work for now till you have coin to spend on some good ones. You can shop around garage sales (like I did) to find some good used cables. or call Doug http://douglasconnection.com/main.sc
  • rc51matt
    rc51matt Posts: 39
    edited December 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    You bought Kimber speaker cables, you can't use that to connect the receiver to the amp. Buy already made rca interconnects, Kimber hero's, Signal cable analog 2's, Douglas connections, just to name a few.

I understand that but interconnects have multiple types of termination ends like rca or the XLR
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    rc51matt wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

I understand that but interconnects have multiple types of termination ends like rca or the XLR

Rca ends is what you want, the XLR is for balanced connections which means both the receiver and amp would need balanced inputs and outputs, which I don't believe your gear does.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I knew the amp did but wasn't sure about the receiver, but it came in and only has rca connections
  • Hell I'll get all the components and cables in before the floor gets finished. Can't wait to get all the new furniture and stereo in .
  • Finally got it running, still have to work on the settings. I'll admit the highs are a bit high. But the reproduction is great. That sub definitely can not keep up with the mains.