newbie with amping questions

Hello I'm new to higher end stereos and i have bought 4 polk rti12 speakers and a polk csi5 center and dswpro660wi sub. This is for my living room that is a octagon room that is 32 ft across with 12.5 ft tall walls and is 17 ft in the center. I've gathered that I need a receiver and a amp but don't know what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• rc51matt
    rc51matt Posts: 39
    edited December 2014
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    edited December 2014
    Hello rc and welcome to the club,

That's a beautiful room,quite large and well done by the way, but the rti12,s should have no problems handling it.

So knowing you need a AVR and an Amp suggest you've done some reading and you're right having both will go a long way in the enjoyment of listening to music and watching movies.

Deciding what AVR you want depends on how much you want to spend and how many features you want. Most of the top brand names newer models carry pretty well all the features you could want or need but if you go used check before you buy to insure it has the features you required. But whatever you choose it needs to have
    Pre-outs so you can hook up your amp.

As for the amp same as the AVR how much do you want to spend but the rule of thumb I've learned is to read first and then decide. BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MUCH POWER.

Other's who know way more then me will chime in good luck with the hunt.

Cheers
    Roger
  • I would imagine that room is very lively. I would look for an Avr with an advanced auto eq, perhaps one from Anthem, the MRX line. Not knowing your budget it is difficult to make a recommendation. There are many amps to choose from, but look for brands such as parasound, and b&k. Outlaw is nice if your looking for a new amp that offers a great value.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    edited December 2014
    What's opposite the fireplace? Walls of glass?

btw, Welcome to CP!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    That's a huge room.
    May need 11.4 system. ;)

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    Huge room indeed....looks maybe octagon shaped ? High ceilings.....wood floors, the echo in there is going to be tough to over come.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • The good news is you can send eight kids to the corner. >:)
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    The good news is you can send eight kids to the corner. >:)

Lol that is funny right there.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • It is a octagon, the wall across has a set of low e glass french doors as does three other walls. Only two walls are solid and the other is a foyer and another opens to the kitchen. Yes it echos quite a bit. I'm trying not to spend 5000 for the rest of the system.
  • Really I've read a bit and am still lost. I use to do car stereos and built some decent systems but this is a different animal. Suggestions on what I should use would be most helpful. Then I'll try and find the best price for said equipment and then try and figure out how to hook it up and try and adjust it to the room forever. Not my Forte btw. Anyone here near huntsville alabama. Lol

Thanks for the comments on how it looks. I did it all myself, just waiting on the guts to come sand and put gloss finish on the red oak and wenge flooring
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    edited December 2014
    Hello RC,

Well I can suggest an Yamaha RX-A 2040 just picked one up a few weeks ago and love it and they will drive those speakers. Down the road you can add an amp. I've owned several Brands but I'm very happy with this brand it has a lot of great features.

Read up on it and you can probably get it for $1400.00 down south.

Cheers
    Roger
    Post edited by polk500 on
  • tonyb
    You planning on doing a full blown HT rig or just a music rig ? Either way, your going to need some sort of room treatments, even a huge throw rug will make a big difference.

Receivers...you need one with 5.1 preouts, Marantz, Yamaha Advantage series, Pioneer elite SC series comes to mind. Then you need an amp to push all the speakers, a 5 channel amp. Look for a used B&K or Parasound 5 channel 200 watts per channel + on the amp. Both mate well with the speakers.

Then you'll need cables....that's a lot of coin for decent cables in those long runs. You might want to consider buying bulk wire and putting on connectors yourself, or use just bare wire. Don't go cheap cables either, get some decent cables in bulk, Signal cable....PNF, MIT, Analysis plus, Morrow, Transparent, etc, stay away from the monoprice junk....or Monster cable for that matter. You'll need, aside from speaker cables, 5 Interconnect rca cables, also available at the brands I just mentioned and more. Google them all up or visit sites like Audiogon, Hi-fi Shark and buy used whenever possible. Cables can be had for half retail used....sometimes less even.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21 wrote: »
    The good news is you can send eight kids to the corner. >:)

Lol that is funny right there.
    +1......... :D
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • tonyb wrote: »
    You planning on doing a full blown HT rig or just a music rig ? Either way, your going to need some sort of room treatments, even a huge throw rug will make a big difference.

Receivers...you need one with 5.1 preouts, Marantz, Yamaha Advantage series, Pioneer elite SC series comes to mind. Then you need an amp to push all the speakers, a 5 channel amp. Look for a used B&K or Parasound 5 channel 200 watts per channel + on the amp. Both mate well with the speakers.

Then you'll need cables....that's a lot of coin for decent cables in those long runs. You might want to consider buying bulk wire and putting on connectors yourself, or use just bare wire. Don't go cheap cables either, get some decent cables in bulk, Signal cable....PNF, MIT, Analysis plus, Morrow, Transparent, etc, stay away from the monoprice junk....or Monster cable for that matter. You'll need, aside from speaker cables, 5 Interconnect rca cables, also available at the brands I just mentioned and more. Google them all up or visit sites like Audiogon, Hi-fi Shark and buy used whenever possible. Cables can be had for half retail used....sometimes less even.

Canare 4s11 for example?
    No surround...yet
  • tonyb
    Don't think the Canare would be a good match for the RTI12's brightness, it's a decent cable and all, but has some glare on the top end that will be pronounced on these speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • It's going to be home theater and music. The wall above the fireplace gets projected. Unfortunately I can't put any rugs door I negate the $16,000 I have in that flooring by hiding it and I just can't hide it. I guess it doesn't help the ceiling is tongue and groove also.lnd5gvgtzlbr.jpg
  • tonyb
    edited December 2014
    Well, if you can't do anything with the room, then I'm afraid to tell you your in for some ear piercing sounds....especially with those RTI 12'S....and some boomy bass from the subwoofer.

Personally I would have picked a warmer sounding speaker for that room, and a better sub. Not trying to be your "Grinch" here, but for the speaks you have, in that room, I see no other outcome without a ton of sound treatments on the walls/and or floors which the wife will probably poo-poo that idea.

The only thing left is to match up those speaks and gear with the warmest sounding cables and gear you can find. Kimber cable is pretty warm sounding and reasonable. Gear....stick with Marantz or Harmon Kardon.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • What wife, like I said I had no idea what I needed. Just bought all these months .
    I can't change the room I have or the speakers I have so please just help me pick the best to power what I have or I'm just going to guses and it may or may not work
  • No other room is any better and all much smaller except the man cave Wich has a concrete floor and is a triangle. Don't mind the mess. Everything I own is in here and it's the only livable room till the floors are donef5f2uah44ezq.jpg
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Don't think the Canare would be a good match for the RTI12's brightness, it's a decent cable and all, but has some glare on the top end that will be pronounced on these speakers.
    Would not be a good cable for RTi A5 either?
    No surround...yet
  • BTW, what an interesting "problem" to have. :)
  • tonyb
    French_guy wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Would not be a good cable for RTi A5 either?

Depends on how lively your room is. The Op definitely has the most lively room I've seen in a long time.

Can't figure out why the pro amps though, they are going to showcase the brightness on the top end. Oh well, to each his own. The room in my opinion will sound all sizzle and boom like those cars coming down the street at 2 A.M.

The mancave room is actually much better for sound.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Like I said I have no clue on what I'm doing. I'm looking at number's because that's what I know. That's why I need your suggestions
  • I think the only thing I have right on that list are the wires and the projector
  • Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    rc51matt wrote: »
    Like I said I have no clue on what I'm doing. I'm looking at number's because that's what I know. That's why I need your suggestions

We are trying pal, but home audio is way different than car audio. We gave some suggestions already. Home audio is more so about tailoring the sound to your liking by matching gear and speakers who's characteristics compliment each other.

Kinda like following a recipe. If one ingredient is off or forgotten, can change the whole outcome. That said, the pro amps won't compliment the speakers, they'll bring attention to that hot top end of the speaks. Parasound or B&k amps work extremely well with those speaks.

Marantz or HK receivers would have been a better choice, but the Onkyo is more neutral sounding, we were looking for warmer because of the room, lack of treatments, and speakers. Which cannot be changed so you said.

You still need 5 interconnect rca cables to hook up the receiver to the amp. Good ones can cost 100 bucks on up each. Which is why most of us hunt down used at half retail, sometimes less. With those speaks and pro amps, you need the warmest sounding cables available, and no budget cable is going to sound good with pro amps. Some suggestions for warmer sounding cables are Kimber Hero's, Analysis plus copper ovals...or higher, Mit shotgun S3's or their AVT line might do.

Budget wise.....Signal cable analog 2's, or our own Douglas connections. He's a member here but makes solid rca cables that won't emphasize that hot top end of the speaks....and is reasonably priced to boot.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I've been trying to take your suggestions, like I picked out the speaker wire you said to
  • Thank you Jeremy, that's exactly the kind of information I need. But with that amp will 200 be enough for those speakers. Because honestly I get confused when I start looking at them all. It's like a blur