newbie with amping questions

Comments

• Yes, 200w is plenty, but that amp is also underrated. It actually produces closer to 235w at .003%
    http://www.soundandvision.com/content/outlaw-audio-7500-5-channel-power-amplifier-measurements

A thorough review can be read here:
    http://www.soundandvision.com/content/outlaw-audio-7500-5-channel-power-amplifier
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    That room is pretty...very nice workmanship...whatever equipment you choose,you are going to find that you will have significant acoustic problems...reflection of sound waves...speaker placement probs...did you design that room specifically for audio/video?
  • That's not carpet it's concrete and it has a set up already. The living room was built like this already I just made it prettier after the fire. It's not really a theater room just my living room where we all gather to watch football games and ufc fights. This is what it was after the fire.xgnq2jxc07mb.jpeg
  • You can see where the projection screen was in the fire pic
  • rc51matt
    rc51matt Posts: 39
    edited December 2014
    Also do I just need a pre amp or just a receiver. Isn't the difference that a receiver has amps still in it say for speakers for other rooms or outside speakers and the pre amp just decodes the signal and sends it to the amp
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2014
    You don't need a dedicated preamp, although that will work, but you will head at least a receiver with preamp outputs or "pre-outs"

But yes that is the difference, a dedicated preamp typically offers higher sound quality than a receiver, but not always.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • so one doesnt replace the other?
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    If you don't want to change the speakers, then you need to control them with the right amplification that can warm them up and tame the harsh highs they are capable of.

I am very happy with my Pioneer Elite SC-67. I can't speak for how well the room correction utility will work in your situation but it's worth a try. You can get a 70's series for between $1k and $2k depending on your budget and requirements. The ICE amps will drive your speakers nicely but you might consider getting a Parasound or Sunfire power amp in addition instead of the crowns.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    rc51matt wrote: »
    so one doesnt replace the other?

Depends on the situation. They have HT pre amps that do muti-channel decoding and movie format decoding but they are usually of higher quality and cost more money. Depends on what you want to spend. They can range from 2g's to 5 g's easily. Like everything in life, there's a price that comes with quality.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • yeah, were already at or above my $5,000 budget

• so far im going with jeremy's suggestions on amp and receiver and the Kimber Kable KWIK 16 In-Wall 12-Gauge Speaker Cable's and Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-pair, By Sewell Direct
  • not 100% sure on cables yet since theres so many options. but i know i need 5 sets
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    rc51matt wrote: »
    yeah, were already at or above my $5,000 budget

Well, you don't want to spend 5 g's and have it sound like horse poo right ? It may still however, we are just trying to help you overcome some obstacles as best we can. Only so much you can do given the facts of the room, speakers, lack of room treatments. If you have to spend a tad bit more to overcome some obstacles, seems worth it to me, then again it isn't my money. LOL
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • as you can see from the pictures my house burnt and i lost everything. so i have to budget my final check to finish the house and actually put some furniture in the living room. wich isnt cheap either being it takes alot to make that room not seem empty
  • rc51matt
    rc51matt Posts: 39
    edited December 2014
    honestly i already feel like i have junk speakers and may as well leave them sitting in the boxes and just go buy another crappy system in a box
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2014
    Matt, the past is the past. You can't really do much about it...unless you have a time machine...and if that is the case, I need a ride back to 1975 so I can make an investment in a fledgling little company named Micro-soft. o:)

Unfortunately, you leaped before you looked. We all do from time to time and we learn from it when the landing is less positive than we hoped for.

Your speakers are far from junk. But they are far from ideal given the environment you have to work with.

That being said, the goal shouldn't be to get frustrated with what has already happened but to lift your head back up and look forward and what you can do to make the best possible result.

To that end, looking at the Outlaw amp/Marantz receiver combo is a good start in a positive direction. It is a warm receiver coupled with a neutral sounding amp. A good combination to soften the top end of your speakers.

With the cables, Kimber is a good direction as well.

The room is the toughest part of the equation. The floor and ceiling are out as you, rightfully so, don't want to cover over the beautiful woodwork.
    But there are other types of room treatments that you can consider. And there are a lot of those that you can do on a considerably cheap budget.

DIY absorption panels. A 3-4 inch thick frame filled with an acoustical damped material like rockwool and covered with artwork printed on an acoustically transparent fabric. This makes for a good looking product that will help with your acoustic issues and look good in the process.
    This thread gives some great examples of what I am referring to:
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1316623-diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap.html

You can also burn out your brain checking out this thread for more "on wall" acoustical treatment ideas...
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/255432-acoustical-treatments-master-thread.html

Soft surfaces though is the key with your room. Your room has so many reflective surfaces that it is going to be tough no matter how you look at it but you should do everything you can to lighten the amount of EQ that they system will need to enact to get it as close to right as possible.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Ok i have three large canvas paintings that goes in there and ill look into putting that behind it and my main couch is half a circle that goes around the medallion and that should soak it up some too.
  • Ok if we have the amp/receiver picked out and the wire what exact rca's should I use. So many options have been thrown out there. I don't know what to choose
  • I'll be honest when I bought the speakers I had no idea what it took to power them and then when they came in i started looking at receivers and quickly **** myself when I realized how much power these can take and how little receivers do. Just always ran polk in all my cars and loved them so I stuck with them and I always wished I had the home versions. Now i do and it's driving me nuts. And I'm afraid of clipping and harming the system. Because we all know at some point I'll have a house or pool party and have a few to many drinks and turn it up to loud and the cops will show up. Luckily the house is spray foam insulated and will quite it some. BTW there's 6 inches of foam behind that wooden ceiling.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Whatever model amp you go with...make sure it is high current...with enough RMS Watts a side to give you decent headroom....you won't have a clipping problem going that route....
  • Hi
    Awaiting delivery of the LSIM 707s
    My receiver is the Onkyo TX-NR838
    Any suggestions as to which amp is recommended? I have the 706 center and 702s
    As surrounds
    Also have 2 HSU-15H subs
  • There are lots of good options. Suggestions are easier if we have a budget to work with.
  • I would look in the 400 to 800 range

I assume I would need either a 2 or 3 channel?

Thx
  • In that case your best value would be to look for a used parasound or b&k with 200w per channel or better. Otherwise look at the Emotiva Xpa-2 or xpa3 if you are looking to buy new. There isn't many Emotiva fans here, but they are a good value if new is your preference.
  • Thank you
    I will look into those options!
  • Looking at the XPA-2 Vs XPA-3
    My split is 50/50 Music and HT

What would work best?

Thx
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    camaro440 wrote: »
    Looking at the XPA-2 Vs XPA-3

What would work best?

Thx

Cam440, it would probably work best to start a new thread with your questions. It's considered very poor form to thread jack a fellow member.

• teekay0007 wrote: »
    camaro440 wrote: »
    Looking at the XPA-2 Vs XPA-3

What would work best?

Thx

Cam440, it would probably work best to start a new thread with your questions. It's considered very poor form to thread jack a fellow member.

Like I wasn't lost enough as it is
  • ordered my reciever, amp, speaker wire, projector and connectors. just need to pick out the best rca's for my application and find them used. wherever that is