Sony HAP-Z1ES‎ music streamer/DAC review

13»

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Being a new audiophile or since joining this forum I am still discovering tracks and gear so I still consider myself a novice. There aint that much ultra HD resolution tracks that are to my liking either. I still love alot electronic music and its hard to get hold of so my lil sonys all empty.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 7,207
    halenhoang wrote: »
    It all comes down to personal preferences, it is not a knock on anything or anyone. Ultimately, it is not about a badge that is placed on a product, really. I just noticed a trend of what sounds good is based on statistics, 24 bit, 32 bit, etc. How about we just sit, listen and enjoy.

No worries here.

All my life I have strived to have a fuller understanding of whatever I am dealing with. Shooting, hunting, my job, computers, photography, racing, audio, getting along with the wife....lol. Some say it ruins the fun, to me I always got better at what I was doing and enjoyed it more.

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo IIISE Pro ES9038 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 14,642
    Emlyn wrote: »
    erniejade wrote: »
    Elmyn from what I have been reading the sony also has a 20k limit. The other thing I wish it would do is be able to take a "normal pc " formatted drive and hook it to the back for uploading.

I loaded 25K tracks on mine and found any tracks above the 20K database limit "confused" the player. Speed of track access seemed to be fine with that many files loaded into it, but it would not show the right cover art for tracks loaded after the 20K boundary was reached. Some of the tracks were also randomly spread in different folders than where they belonged after the 20K limit. I backed out several thousand files I was unlikely to ever listen to. Bear in mind though, that all of my tracks are in WAV format, including a lot of high resolution PCM tracks from HDtracks. At around 19K files, I'm still only using around 750GB. I did load a 2TB onto it through the USB port and it worked fine, but I just haven't needed to use its extra capacity so disconnected it.

I guess the solution to get around the 20K limit is to buy two!

I wonder if the issue is not the number of tracks, but HD space used. If the files were in FLAC would it still be 20k, or now 40k?

Either way, it sounds like a firmware bug, which should be easily fixed.
    Lumin X1 file player; Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    Only negative I can think of right now is that there is a very slight audible hum coming from the area where the hard drive is located. Not audible beyond a few feet though.

Hello Emlyn,

I have recently ordered a HAPZ1ES and recognized the mentioned hum myself.
    So I've returned the first unit and got another one in exchange - still again with the same hum. The spare device has a different MAC address, however still very close to the MAC address of the previous unit.
    Now my question: Have you meanwhile discovered the root cause for the hum? Or got rid of it - even with support from Sony?

Thanks,
    Andreas

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 3,154
    The slight hum from the hard drive is the result of their decision to use a disc based drive. I am aware some users have put a solid state drive in instead. The hum on mine is not audible from sitting distance, so it doesn't bother me enough to do something to change the drive.
    1. Polk L800 + L900, L400, LSiM-703 x4; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz AV8805A processor; Parasound A31; Outlaw 7000X; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Director 4.7; MIT S2 cables
    2. Magnepan 1.7i or JM Lab 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 SE+ preamp and Parasound JC5 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Marantz SA8004 SACD; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P500; MIT S1 Cables
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,790
    Skip's advice is right on. Only an SSD will get rid of the noise.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer with Morrow Audios USB cable to DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II; AQ Sky XLRs, McIntosh MC 220 Tube Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave Transport, Innuos Streamer with Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 16,259
    I had one here for a while and didn't notice any hum. Then again I was in my rack with the door closed and I sit 14 feet away from it.
    The SSD drive no matter Hum or not is the way to go. SSD drives are amazing.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.