convert wma to flac?

i know there's probably a bit of discussion on this, but busy and dont have time to sort it out. what is the consensus on a good, simple way to do this? free is better but not opposed to a paid service. sorry for my being absent and noncontributing lately, between vacation, school, and preparing for deployment, not much ability to be on much. that an what i have for music is 4 cd's, a laptop with a handful of wma lossless(and lots of compressed of various type), and a windows phone full of mp4, a cheapo bluetooth speaker or 2, and a pair of klipsh and a pair of senheisser earbuds. just got an hp tablet though, and it wont recognize most of my music as it is various qualities of wma. so, looking to put any and all of it that is lossless into flac, to move to my tablet. thanks in advance for any help guys, have a good weekend.
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA

Comments

• eor
    eor Posts: 28
    Audacity is free, multi-platform, and will convert files to flac at up to 192k/24bit. To open WMA you have to download an additional driver (Edit/Preferences/Libraries). Open the target file then File/Export and choose flac.

Might be able to do it in batch mode, but I haven't tried.
  • Thanks
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited September 2014
    nm
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I use dbPowerAmp for all my ripping and converting needs, not free but has lots of features and produces the best results I've heard.
  • will try db, audacity wont open wma
  • i guess i downloaded the wrong plugins for it, tryinf the FFMPEG, i dont understand what most of this junk is though,
  • ok, so i downloaded and installed, LADSPA, FFMPEG, and LAME plugins, and still cant open or import WMA to audacity
  • i1j1eo9t89z4.png
  • eor
    eor Posts: 28
    All I did was download the FFMPEG library, install it, then go into Edit/Preferences/Libraries and Locate it. After that I was able to open the WMAs I had.
    l034hpbvh2n1.jpg

Or use dbpoweramp. Or MediaMonkey.
  • It says they're located, but still won't open them, I downloaded an app to play WMA from an SD card for now
  • The easiest program I've used, is Easy CD-DA Extractor. It can convert almost any audio file type to another file type, and can rip, convert and create a playlist from any CD with a few clicks. Not cheap, but does exactly what you want it to do
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Thanks, I'll keep it in mind