Emo XSP1 Gen2 Vs Parasound P5

Options
12346»

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I haven't owned a piece of gear since a 70s receiver that has tone controls, and that includes multiple AVRs. To be honest, I never think about them, nor miss them.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Tone controls are evil.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• macromark
    macromark Posts: 6
    edited January 2016
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Welcome to the Polk Audio Forum. Let us know how you like the Emotiva XSP-1.
    So far, so good. I hooked the unit up on Monday and kept it running until last night to "burn it in"... even though Emotiva doesn't mention this anywhere on their site or in their documentation. There are a couple threads about this in the "Emotiva Lounge", and most folks suggest the "burn in" is really for your brain to get used to the new sound... not to benefit the electronics in any way. I guess that's a matter for another thread.

Initially, I was concerned about the gain/noise in the phono stage, as that was the show-stopper for the P5. With that unit, I had to max the volume to get a comfortable listening level and the background hiss was very noticeable. Fortunately, the XSP clears that hurdle really well. There's more than enough gain in the phono stage to handle my 23R with no noticeable background hiss - in fact, if I leave the volume setting alone and switch between inputs (including phono), all are dead quiet!

While I'm on the subject, the XSP volume control takes a little getting used to since it's not limited to 360 degree operation. It can take quite a bit of "cranking" to get it significantly louder or software. Of course, that allows for some very precise changes, especially with the LED display. I'm guessing this works really well with the handheld remote and it probably why it was designed this way. No, I haven't put batteries in the remote yet!

The 23R documentation doesn't include a suggested load impedance value so I had to adjust this by ear. On the P5, my cart sounded best at 47k ohms. 47k is not available on the XSP and 1k (the max setting) sounds best to my ears.

Initially (Monday), my records sounded a bit "flat"... compressed and lacking body. Not a good start! Tuesday's session was better, but of course, I was also listening to different albums. On Wednesday, I pulled out a few better quality pressings (Supertramp's "Crime of the Centure" from MoFi, Dave Grusin's "Discovered Again" from Sheffield Labs and a really clean copy of Bowie's "Scary Monsters.." I know.. what's that doing in the list? :smile: ) Everything sounded great! That was a fun session. Looking forward to hearing more...
    F1nut wrote: »
    Tone controls are evil.
    Only is they're used for evil! I don't mind tone controls if they're well designed and they can be disabled. Both of these preamps have them and in both cases, they can be disabled with a switch. That's the setting I use. The XSP tone adjustments are limited to +/- 3db (not sure of the center frequency) but the effect is pretty subtle. So, even if you felt compelled to use them, you couldn't do a lot of damage.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Back in the day a friend had a pre without tone controls... He always said they were unnecessary . My tube integrated has no tone controls... If you don't like the tone then roll some tubes.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've used the tone controls on some "badly recorded" media...
    but you are right, subtle. 6 db total swing.
    "a digitally-controlled analog resistor ladder network with 0.5dB per step resolution for volume, the XSP-1 Gen 2 maintains signal integrity and near perfect channel matching - even at very low listening levels."
    As I mentioned, I leave the tone contols on but flat usually.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Congrats and enjoy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    So did you end up with the P5 or the Emo?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

Because of a TT cart mis-match, I think he settled with the Emo.
  • macromark
    macromark Posts: 6
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

Because of a TT cart mis-match, I think he settled with the Emo.
    Correct. My goal was to improve on what I had by just swapping out the pre-amp. The P5 is a really nice piece of gear and the company is very responsive. If it matched my cart well, that would have been the end of it for me.

The Emo is aesthetically not as nice (my opinion)... but the higher gain and much lower noise floor work better with my cart. I'm happy with the sound.

Next project for me: I'm about to send my vintage amp out for reconditioning. Anyone ever heard of an Acoustat TNT-120? :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Nice amp there and yeah, I'd say it's time for a refresh. Think Frank Van Alstine had a hand on that somewhere along the line. They make some darn nice speakers too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Couldn't you have just used a SUT?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • macromark
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nice amp there and yeah, I'd say it's time for a refresh. Think Frank Van Alstine had a hand on that somewhere along the line. They make some darn nice speakers too.
    The TNT-200 was designed by Jim Strickland. The TNT-120 is a smaller version of that. Roy Esposito was a tech at Acoustat and reportedly was involved in the 120 design. He is the guy that will be doing the work on the unit next week.

Yes, the speakers are great too but they are LARGE. I have a pair of model IIIs that have been in storage for a long time since they really don't fit my living space.