Emo XSP1 Gen2 Vs Parasound P5

Options

Comments

• Drake5
    Drake5 Posts: 15
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Amazing what the cable can do!! Folks we have another believer!!!

@erniejade funny you mention this as I am now in full cable replace mode. After the revelation that an interconnect makes a difference I was itching for the speaker cable replacement and is now demoing a clearday shotgun. Fantastic sounding solid silver core cable, music is so natural and transparent and not in your face, really no fatigue. I might spring for the doubleshotgun as my final cable selection. I think I'm settled after this as I don't see a need for other upgrades... for now...
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I have been running a P3 for a couple of years. Just purchased the P5 about 2 months ago. Both of them are great pre's with my Parasound amp but the P5 has more depth and digs way deeper.

My biggest complaint with the P3 was the digital volume control. I prefer the analog control on the P5 much more.

Overall they are both nice for the price.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks this is very helpful.
    tratliff wrote: »
    I have been running a P3 for a couple of years. Just purchased the P5 about 2 months ago. Both of them are great pre's with my Parasound amp but the P5 has more depth and digs way deeper.

My biggest complaint with the P3 was the digital volume control. I prefer the analog control on the P5 much more.

Overall they are both nice for the price.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    "more depth and digs way deeper" yep 10000% with ya. Suprising at this price point. In a couple of years, this unit will the beyond a bargin on the used market.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nc42acc
    nc42acc Posts: 3
    edited July 2015
    Options
    First I want to thank erniejade for his time and effort on this post. He is the reason I bit the bullet and bought an XSP-1 gen 2. One hour into having the Emotiva in the system and I can say it is very impressive. If it gets better as it burns in it will best my P5. My system includes the following. MacBook Pro, Line Magnetic LM 502ca DAC, Parasound P5, Parasound A21, Joseph Audio Pulsars, SVS SB13
  • erniejade
    Options
    The pulsar is my fave bookshelf type speakers! @ around 200 hours the brightness will tame down on the emo. Like I said before, that emo did not suck. It was quite good actually.

Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nc42acc
    Options
    Thanks erniejade. Evening of music listening to the Emo bloom. So far it is much more "holographic" than the p5. My preference leans to the analytical so it is looking like a great match.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    From the times I've heard them I wouldn't call the Pulsar analytical, but they were hooked up to some high end kits, one being Manley.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nc42acc
    Options
    F1nut you are correct the Pulsars are very open and neutral. I can hear what erniejade called a slight thinness in the Emotiva. To me I call it more analytical, definitely more resolving in the imaging than the P5.
  • macromark
    macromark Posts: 6
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sorry... I know this is an old thread but since it's exactly the question I've been mulling over the past couple weeks, thought I would share a little.

Last week (12/11), I sent an email entitled "Emotiva XSP-1 vs Parasound P5?" to both Parasound and Emotiva sales. Within 15 minutes, I received an email back from Phil Jackson of Parasound... telling me he'd look into it and get back to me later in the day. At the end of the day, I received an email from the company president (Richard Schram) with a bit more info. There was no reply from Emotiva. A few days later (12/14), I emailed Emotiva again and did get a reply this time, but without much information. A couple days and few more emails later, I purchased a Parasound P5 preamp and that arrived on Tuesday of this week.

I had been warned by Phil not to listen too critically until I'd had given the unit some time to break in (about 100 hours). Still, I couldn't wait that long to at least give it a try, so I hooked it all up and slipped on my headphones and cranked the volume up... and up... and up... In fact, I had to max the volume to get a "normal" listening level with my gear (phono cart > preamp > 12 ft interconnects > M-Audio 2496 PC soundcard > Grado SR80s). At that volume, the noise floor was pretty noticeable.

After a couple calls to tech support, I spoke with Tony and he concluded that my cartridge (Dynavector Ruby) just didn't have enough output (0.2mv) to feed the phono stage. Note that the MC gain spec is not published for the P5. Tony suggested it was 53 or 54 db. So... not a good fit. If I didn't care about the cartridge, I'd just get something with higher output and keep going with the P5 since I really do like the unit (and the company). However, the Ruby doesn't have a lot of time logged on it, even though it's more than 30 years old now... I like the way it sounds and it's a good match for my Linn tonearm.

So... The P5 is boxed up with an RA# and waiting for FedEx pick up as I write this and I've put my order in for the XSP-1. The MC gain is published as 60 db so I'm hopeful it will be a better match. Anyway, I'll find out next week and post back (if anyone cares).
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    macromark wrote: »
    Note that the MC gain spec is not published for the P5. Tony suggested it was 53 or 54 db. So... not a good fit.

An SUT or Step Up Transformer is the answer for low output cartridges with low dB gain stages. I've had some nice tube and SS 60-70dB MC phono stages and prefer using an SUT with lower dB gain stages. You can get more dynamics and a quieter background with a good SUT/MM stage versus using a high output MC stage.

Currently using a reasonably priced Park's Audio Budgie SUT. No affiliation other than being a paying customer. One can also diy...
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Sounds like a heck of a plan SCR! Honestly, you'd probably be happier with the Parasound.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I, for one would like to know what you think.
    The XSP-1 is a pretty large phono pre. (so I'm not sure what you are after)
    I have Aural Harmony-Cryo Gold Alloy Sonnet II XLR's in to the pre
    and Signal Copper out. (bought here from Mr. Morrison aka psovlsk)
    Much better than the Sonnets interconnecting to the amp. The point is
    the cables will matter in your eval.

I use the XSP-1 with the tone controls on, but flat.
    Play around a bit before passing final judgement.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sorry... I know this is an old thread but since it's exactly the question I've been mulling over the past couple weeks, thought I would share a little.

Last week (12/11), I sent an email entitled "Emotiva XSP-1 vs Parasound P5?" to both Parasound and Emotiva sales. Within 15 minutes, I received an email back from Phil Jackson of Parasound... telling me he'd look into it and get back to me later in the day. At the end of the day, I received an email from the company president (Richard Schram) with a bit more info. There was no reply from Emotiva. A few days later (12/14), I emailed Emotiva again and did get a reply this time, but without much information. A couple days and few more emails later, I purchased a Parasound P5 preamp and that arrived on Tuesday of this week.

I had been warned by Phil not to listen too critically until I'd had given the unit some time to break in (about 100 hours). Still, I couldn't wait that long to at least give it a try, so I hooked it all up and slipped on my headphones and cranked the volume up... and up... and up... In fact, I had to max the volume to get a "normal" listening level with my gear (phono cart > preamp > 12 ft interconnects > M-Audio 2496 PC soundcard > Grado SR80s). At that volume, the noise floor was pretty noticeable.

After a couple calls to tech support, I spoke with Tony and he concluded that my cartridge (Dynavector Ruby) just didn't have enough output (0.2mv) to feed the phono stage. Note that the MC gain spec is not published for the P5. Tony suggested it was 53 or 54 db. So... not a good fit. If I didn't care about the cartridge, I'd just get something with higher output and keep going with the P5 since I really do like the unit (and the company). However, the Ruby doesn't have a lot of time logged on it, even though it's more than 30 years old now... I like the way it sounds and it's a good match for my Linn tonearm.

So... The P5 is boxed up with an RA# and waiting for FedEx pick up as I write this and I've put my order in for the XSP-1. The MC gain is published as 60 db so I'm hopeful it will be a better match. Anyway, I'll find out next week and post back (if anyone cares).

The P5 is one heck of a pre...

You might be better off keeping it and adding the step up that was suggested, or a separate phono pre to your flavor and attaching it to the P5 via one of the many inputs.

You can't beat the value of the P5, especially once you add in the amazing service that Parasound gives out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Maybe @dskip can hook you up with something if you are just looking for a
    headphone pre? the ifi phono micro has 66db of gain.

the above recommended $1600.00 of expense opens up huge number of
    possibilities...

"In fact, I had to max the volume to get a "normal" listening level with my gear (phono cart > preamp > 12 ft interconnects > M-Audio 2496 PC soundcard > Grado SR80s). "
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had been warned by Phil not to listen too critically until I'd had given the unit some time to break in (about 100 hours). Still, I couldn't wait that long to at least give it a try, so I hooked it all up and slipped on my headphones and cranked the volume up... and After a couple calls to tech support, I spoke with Tony and he concluded that my cartridge (Dynavector Ruby) just didn't have enough output (0.2mv) to feed the phono stage. Note that the MC gain spec is not published for the P5. Tony suggested it was 53 or 54 db. So... not a good fit. If I didn't care about the cartridge, I'd just get something with higher output and keep going with the P5 since I really do like the unit (and the company). However, the Ruby doesn't have a lot of time logged on it, even though it's more than 30 years old now... I like the way it sounds and it's a good match for my Linn tonearm.

Sorry, but that is the silliest reason I have read in a long time for returning a fine piece of gear. Do you really think a 30 year old cartridge can even come close to today's cartridges?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I had been warned by Phil not to listen too critically until I'd had given the unit some time to break in (about 100 hours). Still, I couldn't wait that long to at least give it a try, so I hooked it all up and slipped on my headphones and cranked the volume up... and After a couple calls to tech support, I spoke with Tony and he concluded that my cartridge (Dynavector Ruby) just didn't have enough output (0.2mv) to feed the phono stage. Note that the MC gain spec is not published for the P5. Tony suggested it was 53 or 54 db. So... not a good fit. If I didn't care about the cartridge, I'd just get something with higher output and keep going with the P5 since I really do like the unit (and the company). However, the Ruby doesn't have a lot of time logged on it, even though it's more than 30 years old now... I like the way it sounds and it's a good match for my Linn tonearm.

Sorry, but that is the silliest reason I have read in a long time for returning a fine piece of gear. Do you really think a 30 year old cartridge can even come close to today's cartridges?

Agreed! My Pass Labs was not really up to snuff for vinyl until I mated it with the Dynavector. It was a huge step up over the Sumiko BPS EvoIII. That cartridge is likely toast just due to age, and is no way responsible for the preamp not doing what you expect. Get a better cartridge and keep the Parasound, but that's just my two cents.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Have to agree with the above gents. A 30 year old cartridge....seriously ? No phono pre in the world can overcome that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Does the OP think that that cart will sound better with a different pre or phono pre?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Does the OP think that that cart will sound better with a different pre or phono pre?

With either option he would be wrong.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

erniejade's the Op...the returner is a classic thread crapper.

I stand corrected as I know Ernie knows better.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    ^^^ditto

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^thretto
    Didn't notice the 1 post count.
  • erniejade
    Options
    I honestly couldnt say. I use an external phono preamp. I did try out the internal for about 15 minutes ( basically an lp side) and thought it sounded good but then hooked up my jolida d9 was a more to my liking. Phono pre matching can sometimes be tricky especially if you have a low level mc. SCompRacer to me has the right idea especially for a low level mc. Find a pre that you like the sound out of and use a sut.

Although, If your mainly listening via headphones, I would find a good headphone pre that has an aux or a second input and a sut or phono pre and go that route. I think you would have better sound quality with a headphone amp/pre. There's a lot out there from ss or tube. A lot also have built in dac's.
  • macromark
    Options
    Wow, not much love here. Sorry to be a "thread crapper"... just took a chance someone might be genuinely interested. FWIW, the Dynavector Karat DV17 is basically the same design as mine but with a slightly smaller diamond cantilever (instead of ruby). The DV17 is still in production.

Yes, I could have kept the P5 and added a step up transformer. Yes, I could also have just tossed out the cart. Just trying to keep my costs down.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Just trying to keep my costs down.

Never a good idea at the expense of better sound.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    Options
    macromark, in your first post, you mentioned you plugged in your headphones, are you mainly using headphones? If so please read what I wrote. What I suggesred would even be cheaper ro help keep costs down.

• macromark
    macromark Posts: 6
    edited December 2015
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Welcome to the Polk Audio Forum. Let us know how you like the Emotiva XSP-1.
    Thanks! the unit is slated to arrive this coming Monday.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Just trying to keep my costs down.

Never a good idea at the expense of better sound.
    In principal, I agree! In practice, kids and other expenses keep me from going off the rails too far.
    erniejade wrote: »
    macromark, in your first post, you mentioned you plugged in your headphones, are you mainly using headphones? If so please read what I wrote. What I suggesred would even be cheaper ro help keep costs down.
    Thanks for the suggestions. The preamp will live in my tiny office for the time being with the rig I described in my first post. However, I do plan to move most of this down to the living room eventually and for that, I'll transition over to speakers.
    Post edited by macromark on
  • transchris
    Options
    I've had my xsp1 for 1 month and like all my other 7 pieces of emotiva gear,it is exceptional in all regards...it's powered by an xpa2 gen1,and my source is an erc3 gen2..speakers ,,,martin logan sl3's. ..I am more than happy with emotiva...my new xpa5 gen2 just arrived today for my ht...btw...I wouldn't own a preamp without tone controls...that includes emotiva! !!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Pass Labs is not for you then, I guess. I would not have a pre WITH them. Luckily, your path on the audio journey will be a short one.