IEC Inlet Questions

Options
13»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    There is a law of diminishing returns. This point is often missed by many.
    There is a limit and as long as the power supply is built to provide the necessary clean power to the equipment it is to power, that is all it has to do. Going beyond that increases cost and perhaps weight without increasing measurable performance.

At any rate, I applaud Hermitism for his retrofit of the AVR to accept the IEC inlet.

I can see your point on your first statement, it is likely that putting a $300 power cord on a basic HTIB will probably not yield the positive effects one would hope for.

However, as has often been demonstrated (and more importantly, experienced),
    improvement is in the ears of the beholder, and has very little to do with measureable
    performance...

And FWIW, I have added IEC connections to a lot of the gear I own (that did not already have it), as well as aftermarket power cords, both with positive sonic benefits.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    After much research here and there I decided to buy the Furutech Audio Grade FI-06 gold plated pure copper IEC inlets. The FI-09's 50mm screw hole spacing is just too wide for my applications.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Negative

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Negative
    You ordered it over the phone and talked to Jeff, didn't you?

• F1nut
    Options
    Negative

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Negative
    You ordered it over the phone and talked to Jeff, didn't you?

He's JESSE! They sensed a disturbance in the force and called him....

After much research here and there I decided to buy the Furutech Audio Grade FI-06 gold plated pure copper IEC inlets. The FI-09's 50mm screw hole spacing is just too wide for my applications.

These are NOT the IECs your looking for....

I'm slap happy... Sleepy time.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    ^ Nerd alert ^
  • helipilotdoug
    Options
    The FI-06 is a great performer and really good bang for the buck. You'll be pleased Jesse. Call me when you are looking for something like this. You might be glad you did ;)
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • F1nut
    Options
    Will do, Doug.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Super fast delivery from Canada. Shipped on the 3rd, arrived on the 8th. I just finished installing both of them on 2 different pieces. Impressive build quality with some real heft and a positive lock on the power cord........me like. B)

I'll report on the sound when I get some listening time on them.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Oh the horror Jess, how can build quality and metallurgy have any effect on the sound. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, I've got about 50 hours on the new IEC in the office rig, so time for a few comments. The UPC-200 in the office was retro-fitted with PS Audio Power Port Premier (Gold) outlets many months ago, which netted an improvement, so upgrading the IEC was logical. Installing the Furutech Audio Grade FI-06 (Gold) was about as straight forward as it gets.

Upon first listen I noticed the sound had become somewhat dull....hmmm. I set the SACD/CD player on repeat and let it play for the last 2 days most of which I haven't been around due to work. So, tonight I got a chance to do some critical listening. The sound is no longer dull, in fact it sounds better than ever. There was a touch of glare previously that is now gone, tactile bass has increased and there is a slight increase in clarity. Conclusion, the noise floor has dropped and F1 is a happy camper. I also installed brand new Power Port Premier outlets and the Furutech FI-06 IEC in the UPC-200 connected to my main rig, but I haven't had any time to listen to it since doing so, but I would expect similar results.

I will be replacing the stock IEC's on the office and main rig gear in the very near future.

The pic with the light gray outlets is the original main rig UPC-200, the other two are different views after the retro-fit. It's true, all that glitters is gold. B)

vwrhi7i0b8nh.jpg

o65ukpfc877k.jpg

715g2waqwc2b.jpg

President of Club Polk

• zumbini
    zumbini Posts: 654
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @F1nut : Glad you are happy with your purchases but your results (and flowery prose) remind me of studies I participated in in the mid-70's. Can you spell "expectation bias"?
    Main System
    Carver Gear: C-11 (refit & modded, w/balanced outs), M-500 (refit), M-500t(x2) (refit), M-1.0t (refit & upgraded), SD/A 490t, TX-11b
    Other Electronics: Behringer CX3400, Behringer FBQ3102, Furman PS-8R-II, Nikko NPS-1, Teac C-3RX, Technics SL-D303
    Speakers: Legacy Audio Custom Super Satellites (new drivers & bi-ampable XOs), Legacy Audio Custom Subwoofers

Carver Office System: C-2 (refit & modded, w/balanced outs), DTL-50, M-200t, TX-2, Musical Fidelity X-10D, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/4 DA-10 satellites)

Workshop System: Carver MXR-130 receiver, Carver DTL-50 CDP, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/2 DA-10 satellites)

Son's System: Carver CT-7, Carver DTL-200MK2, Carver M-1.5t (refit), Hitachi PS-38 (TT), Polk SDA-SRS 1.2tl, Klipsch KG2.5, PSB Century Subsonic 2i powered sub

Not In Use or Need Repair: Denon DCM-35 (CDC), Teac X10R (RTR), Technics SL-1200MK1 (TT), Yamaha CDX-820 (CDP)
  • F1nut
    Options
    I've had very nice looking, high dollar stuff that my ears didn't like, so expectation bias plays absolutely no role.

Speaking of spelling, would you like to buy a vowel?

President of Club Polk