What Are You Listening To?

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,843
    edited May 2015
    kvawm3zefhj1.jpg

Is there a way of getting an executive summary of the best of these?
    The high points? I can't listen to them all :)

rednedtugent,

As I noted in another thread, my wife gave me "Yo-Yo Ma: 30 Years Outside the Box" for my recent birthday.

This wonderful present consisting of 90 CDs happened to arrive during the period in which I was accumulating the 250 hours of break-in time necessary for the new crossovers Trey built for my SRS 1.2s to "TL" them.

I have been listening to them now for over 100 hours and am now listening to CD 46.

The early CDs sounded "nice," but not what I was hoping for. As time accumulated on the crossovers, the sound began to open up remarkably.

Even the Chopin Piano Trio, to which I am now listening and that was recorded in 1994, has a full rich, extraordinarily engaging sound. I had not listened to this CD before the most recent mods, but I can say that I cannot discern from the sound that it is a "vintage," remastered (in 2009) recording.

The individual instruments are clear. Their timbres are realistic. The transients of the piano runs are distinct and fast. Overall, the sound quality is superb -- the best I have heard.

Perhaps, the most succinct statement I can make is that the rendition of these CDs is now consummately engaging. For example: When I put this CD in, I was on my way tot he garage to change the oil and coolant in my tractor. However, once I started listening, I could not get up and leave. The music gripped me and held me.

I love Chopin, by and large. With respect to the music in this remarkable collection that is most worth listening to, I would advise: Look for composers or pieces that you personally like or are interested in experiencing, and take a listen. The performers are uniformly excellent (no surprise there) and with a good system the recording are very good to superb.

So far, my favorites have been:

CDs 8 & 9: Bach | The Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites
    CD 14: Japanese Melodies
    CD 24: Dvorak | Piano Trios
    CD 30: Anything Goes: Stephane Grappelli and Yo-Yo Ma Play (Mostly) Cole Porter
    CD 36: Hush [Bobby McFerrin and Yo-Yo Ma]
    CDs 38 & 39: Brahms | String Sextets | Theme and Variations for Piano
    CD 42: Faure | Piano Quartets
    CD 45: Beethoven and Schumann | Piano Quartets
    CD 46: Chopin | Piano Trio | Polonaise brillante | Cello Sonata

You will note the trend is to appreciate the later CDs (they are more or less in chronological order of the original recordings) more than the earlier ones.

I suspect that this has something to do with the breaking in of the crossovers as well as with the quality of the recordings, and even, perhaps, with the characteristics of Yo-Yo Ma's performance. With respect to the latter, I would say that over the years his performances strike me as more "relaxed" and emotive, while still retaining the technical excellence of his craft. [I first heard him live in the mid 1980s.]

It is pretentious of me even to deign to judge his playing, but I would say that he has evolved over the years covered int he first 46 CDs from superb technical mastery of his instrument to equally superb creativity in his musicality.

One last comment: At about 165 hours of break-in time, the speakers and crossovers took a quantum leap in sound quality. I was listening to "Bang Bang," a track on the recent 2 Cellos's CD "In2ition," when I was suddenly (and I mean "suddenly") shocked by how the sound became open, incredibly real, and present. It was truly and "ah hah" moment in my listening experience.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Awesome Moose! B) I cut and paste the list!
    Chopin always goes over big around here :)

Listening to Roxy HDCD
    pa482dk8c3j9.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    Chopin Japan redbook
    14 waltzes
    Maria Joao Pires, Klavier Steinway
  • [Deleted User]
    dollar vinyl Japanese Heavy Metal
    htxsp02o6x5r.jpg
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,716
    7h8DeP.jpg

Fever Tree ~ For Sale........white label promo
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • [Deleted User]
    Nice!
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    7h8DeP.jpg

Fever Tree ~ For Sale........white label promo

DJ Copy:
    8mlap361z8w5.jpg

• pumpkinman
    Hey Red here's my other great find from my trip today

6n4vdt.jpg

Chicken Shack ~ Accept Chicken Shack
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    I take it Christine Perfect isn't on this one?
    :*

6n4vdt.jpg

• pumpkinman
    I take it Christine Perfect isn't on this one?
    :*

6n4vdt.jpg

Here's the line-up for this album

Stan Webb – guitar, vocals
    Paul Raymond – keyboards, vocals
    Andy Sylvester – bass guitar
    Dave Bidwell – drums
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    Cool P-Man.
    Wife is out of it and went to bed. Going Ambient. :#

Evening Star Fripp & Eno on vinyl
    q121imb0ncno.jpg
  • pumpkinman
    OAY2Oh.jpg

Robyn Hitchcock And The Egyptians ~ Globe Of Frogs
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    szValo.jpg

R.E.M. ~ Chronic Town
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• Moose68Bash
    onmyzvg2dq29.jpg

CD 48 in "Yo-Yo Ma: 30 Years Outside the Box."

Great selection of excerpts from many of Beethoven's most important compositions.

All star "cast" of musicians playing in this soundtrack -- Ma, Ax, Kremer, Fleming, etc., with Solti conducting the London Symphony Orchestra.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• pumpkinman
    edited May 2015
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Just about to hop into my truck to go fetch some KFC for dinner, gonna crank up some George Thorogood, some Get a haircut... cranked. Figure the sealant holding in my new rear window should be cured enough for that.

Love his cover of Gone Dead Train on the Haircut album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It_vyKrbafY

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Oops, forgot to post what I was playing.

We forgive you, but don't let it happen again. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,101
    q6fk1xin9se8.jpg

Taking over where Rick left off, Queen Jazz very good but think I will keep the BB King tribute going.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Moose68Bash
    6efxng5n5wws.jpg

Cd 49 of 90 -- and listening! :)

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    What up gents ?
    Stoned Side Of The Mule. vinyl
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Christine Perfect!
    gehgsxqogp9x.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    This one I have! Dollar CD pickup. :D
    onmyzvg2dq29.jpg

CD 48 in "Yo-Yo Ma: 30 Years Outside the Box."

Great selection of excerpts from many of Beethoven's most important compositions.

All star "cast" of musicians playing in this soundtrack -- Ma, Ax, Kremer, Fleming, etc., with Solti conducting the London Symphony Orchestra.

• Moose68Bash
    For a buck?

Great bargain.

I guess the movie doesn't get great reviews. I had never heard of it before I pulled this CD out of the box.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    Herman's Hermits - Retrospective SACD

xhs16n92r02t.jpg
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,101
    iqmp6rxodp4z.jpg

J Geils Band-The Morning After

After staying up way late drinking and listening to tunes I figure this one was appropriate.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Moose68Bash
    q5ssxq5e6yhh.jpg

CD 52

This is music is not "my cup of tea." However, it is an interesting experience.

• [Deleted User]
    Dollar vinyl (1970) second pressing?
    t8htwxxhtwus.jpg
    "Gatefold cover. Cover comes from the original issue and has the spine catalog number covered up and replaced by a wraparound sticker. The first catalog number appears on the sticker and on the center labels. The second catalog number comes from the back of the sleeve."
  • [Deleted User]
    Dollar vinyl 80's Prog/Pop
    vnmnv9r7dqqc.jpg
    805.jpg 127.4K