Five Speaker Jumper Comparisons For The SDA SRS 1.2TL

12346»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,315
    edited April 2014
    headrott wrote: »
    Haha! Shows you the last time I drank some Kool-Aid! I mispelled the name! :smile:

I also have the Steely Dan T-shirt. :cheesygrin:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• villian
    villian Posts: 412
    edited April 2014
    DSkip wrote: »
    ...yet you argue the fact that jumper cables make a difference when they carry an analog signal.

Where did I ever say that?

DSkip wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused on your stance here? You say that they make a difference, but actually HEARING the difference is absurdity?

Perceiving the difference, not hearing it.

Kinda like when someone eggs your car. Technically it's damaged (There are microscopic scratches all over the paint finish) but who is really able to see and distinguish that damage after washing off the egg?
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)
  • BKphoto
    BKphoto Posts: 409
    edited April 2014
    at least you are consistent...

you knew a lot about photography the other day...

now this...
    Marantz 1152 DC- Denon DP 1200, Soundsmith Carmen MKII- ADS L980 - Blue Jeans IC's
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2014
    bkphoto wrote: »
    at least you are consistent...

You knew a lot about photography the other day...

Now this...

^^^this^^^
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,315
    edited April 2014
    villian wrote: »
    Kinda like when someone eggs your car.

You've had your car egged......LOL

Says a lot about you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2014
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    edited April 2014
    If you can prove to me that 0's and 1's sound differently via different cables, then please do.
    It doesn't work like that here. The proof lies on you to prove that they don't. The vast majority of us here already know the facts, time for you to school yourself. Be forewarned, you might actually learn something.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited April 2014
    Blue Fox, I originally thought I was going for the same thing. After having the most horrendous Sharp HTIB I finally got what I thought was a decent H/T system.Thought because it failed miserably at playing music at the quality I thought a new 90watt Yamaha would deliver. Movies were great, the opening scene of Valkerie for example when the Mustang comes in for the attack and the akak goes off and then the machines the room shook. When it came to music, it was a major diappointment where at a high volume (not earth shaking by any means) the avr clipped and went into protecto mode. I was lucky it came back and even luckier that the avr had pre/outs and as soon as could afford it I got the stand alone Adcom which made all the difference. Point being I did have a bad experience using my h/t avr for music. Are there better avr than my RX-V665 of course but it should have performed better than what it did.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited April 2014
    Have you ever accidentally pressed the button during the hearing tests?

I rest my case.

I never disputed that humans make mistakes. What is your point?

PS - Control of the brain is easier said then done. The key is "Subconscious" bias, and the last time I checked NO human is fully in control of their subconscious.

I disagree that listening biases are subconscious. Where is your documented proof of this?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited April 2014
    Holy Crap! I figured this would be over by now. This is just sad at this point.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited April 2014
    Nothing wrong with a little entertainment value every now and then.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited April 2014
    I like good entertainment but when a movie gets much longer than 3 hours it starts getting uninteresting too.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • tonyb
    edited April 2014
    The classics never get old my friend. We have some threads from years ago we still dig up every now and then for the simple entertainment. What can we say, we're simple animals.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2014
    It does seem like any thread that gets active about any sort of cable talk always attracts people who've been a member of the forum for a month, have 50 posts, and insist that anything to do with cables is placebo, and expect you to prove something to them.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • SciFiTom
    SciFiTom Posts: 58
    edited April 2014
    IMHO, it takes a pretty good system to hear a difference in cables. Perhaps, it is more evident to someone who has invested in JC-1s, and made his Polks a labor of love. That said, in my youth I was able to discern 1dB differences easily, and was involved in album mix-downs. Today tinnitus, and age cause a distressing inability to tell the difference in many sound qualities, so I have not spent vast sums to acquire great amps and cables. More power to anyone who can hear the subtle differences. Enjoy it while you can.

Tom
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 419
    edited April 2014
    I can hear a 1dB change. It's not much but it's detectable. I think the definition of a dB is the smallest volume change an average person can detect.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Four Polk TSi-200's
    Four Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2014
    It's not just differences in sound level between cables, there can also be differences in imaging and sound stage dimensions.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited April 2014
    And, I'll add tone(s) to that as well.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2014
    OldmanSRS wrote: »
    I can hear a 1dB change. It's not much but it's detectable. I think the definition of a dB is the smallest volume change an average person can detect.
    Decibel is only a measurement of energy, there are also other identifiable differences that can place within the same dB. Some of those items are phase, distortion, and although it's debatable, group delay.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tonyb
    edited April 2014
    SciFiTom wrote: »
    IMHO, it takes a pretty good system to hear a difference in cables.
    Tom

Eh...yes and no Tom. Maybe a more "revealing" system is the proper terminology...and that need not cost a lot of coin. Differences in cables can be subtle...but also profound, even if your ears are old like mine. So I wouldn't poo-poo the idea of trying different stuff.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 419
    edited April 2014
    Face wrote: »
    Decibel is only a measurement of energy

It's not only that. In relationship to hearing it equates in terms of sound volume to the the smallest volume change an average listener can detect.

I think we need a new argument on this thread :)
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Four Polk TSi-200's
    Four Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,266
    edited April 2014
    OldmanSRS wrote: »
    I think we need a new argument on this thread :)
    I don't! I think we have argued enough. Whoa!! - that's an opinion and on here giving an opinion is an argument. Looks like I just started a new argument with you. :)
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2014
    TennMan wrote: »
    I don't! I think we have argued enough. Whoa!! - that's an opinion and on here giving an opinion is an argument. Looks like I just started a new argument with you. :)

Only when you state an opinion as a fact, and then say people are delusional (placebo effect) if they do not agree with your opinion.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2014
    Well that's just like your opinion, man.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    edited April 2014
    It's not just differences in sound level between cables, there can also be differences in imaging and sound stage dimensions.

In my audio travels, I have met many who don't even know what that really means or what is possible. They still think that sound eminating from a left and a right speaker is imaging. Makes me chuckle. If they only knew...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,249
    edited May 2014
    I have never heard or seen a difference in audio or video performance with any digital cable I've tried, whether it was optical, coax, or HDMI. The last digital cable comparison I did was in 2009:

Tweaking-Home-Theater-Pt.-3-The-Pioneer-Elite-BDP-09FD-Blu-ray-Player.

I compared HDMI cables made by Acoustic Research ($20), Rocketfish ($85), and Monster Cable ($130). There was no performance difference among them. I subsequently compared the $20 Acoustic Research HDMI cables to $8 Monoprice HDMI cables, didn't see or hear a difference between them, then returned the AR cables.

It took me forever to find this. I remembered you saying that you didn't hear any difference in HDMI cables. There is no doubt that you have a more trained ear than me. I was using a Monster Ultra 800 HDMI between my Blu-ray player and my SC-05. Then I upgraded it to an AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI, late last year. When I hooked it up it seemed to have a brighter sound than what I was hearing before. A brighter sound was not what I was hoping for, but now I don't seem to notice it anymore. Is there a burn-in process with HDMI cables like there is with speaker cables? Could that account for the brightness I thought I was hearing when I first started using the new cable or was I just imagining a difference? Or did I just get used to it over time? Or am I just looney?
  • villian
    villian Posts: 412
    edited May 2014
    Hermitism wrote: »
    It took me forever to find this. I remembered you saying that you didn't hear any difference in HDMI cables. There is no doubt that you have a more trained ear than me. I was using a Monster Ultra 800 HDMI between my Blu-ray player and my SC-05. Then I upgraded it to an AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI, late last year. When I hooked it up it seemed to have a brighter sound than what I was hearing before. A brighter sound was not what I was hoping for, but now I don't seem to notice it anymore. Is there a burn-in process with HDMI cables like there is with speaker cables? Could that account for the brightness I thought I was hearing when I first started using the new cable or was I just imagining a difference? Or did I just get used to it over time? Or am I just looney?

I think there's a burn in time. My image appeared brighter for at least the first 3 months after I swapped cables. Eventually it settled down, I think. Hard to really tell the difference sometimes, but I'm pretty sure it made a decent difference.
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)