Recommendations for usb audio cables

Dawgfish
Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
edited May 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm just getting into usb audio streaming music from my laptop and/or tablet into a MHDT Paradisea + tube dac and into a tube based system. For what it is it sounds surprisingly good, but I'm currently using a $5 usb cable and I'm sure I could do much better. What are y'alls recommendations for a good usb cable for say $300 or under? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Dawgfish on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2014
    Audioquest carbon or Kimber B Bus Cu
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2014
    I started out with a $15 Belkin gold and recently got the Audioquest Carbon - Huge upgrade in all areas. I'm using an MHDT Stockholm dac.
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    Thanks to those who have replied! I've also been reading great things about the Cardas Clear USB. If anyone has experience with this cable your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2014
    I have tried many and the best I have found for the money is the pangea silver core usb, amazing cable and sound just about as the platinum starlight usb's
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    ^^Thanks PFB!^^ Thats another one I've read great things and have been wondering about.
  • villian
    villian Posts: 412
    edited April 2014
    Someone is going to have to fill me in as to why you need a high quality USB audio cable. It's digital data being sent right? What's it matter then? Apart from actual distance the data is being sent..
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2014
    Going to throw out the Starlight USB cables. Isolate the power from the signal.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2014
    I use the Pangea USB-AG silver also, think it was $99. very happy with it. almost bought AQ silver Cinnamon its like $80 and I saw the Starlight -7 for about $80 also.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    Thanks Dan much appreciated and good to know about the power/signal seperation. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and comments. Looks like I've got quite a few to choose from. Keep the comments/ suggestions coming! They are very much appreciated!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2014
    villian wrote: »
    Someone is going to have to fill me in as to why you need a high quality USB audio cable. It's digital data being sent right? What's it matter then? Apart from actual distance the data is being sent..

Without turning this into another cable debate, google it. You'll get reasons for and against why. In the end, only your ears can judge and those who have tried different USB cables will tell you they make a difference. Not as profound as speaker/analog cables, but definitely audible.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2014
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Thanks Dan much appreciated and good to know about the power/signal seperation!

Yup that's the main reason I am intrigued by them. I am seriously considering it or the Kimber (because of my love of the it gear in my existing rig)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • villian
    villian Posts: 412
    edited April 2014
    Going to throw out the Starlight USB cables. Isolate the power from the signal.....

This is good to know. Sounds like I'm going to be hitting the books, or at least google, tonight!
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    ^^Thanks Dan.^^ So it looks like after reading the threads that you would recommend going with the Audioquest Forest and saving some dough over the other choices? If so I'm all for it, saving money if there is no audible difference between it and the others that is. I know any of them have to be an improvement over the $5 cable I'm currently running.

Thanks for the link for the DAC. I'm really happy with the MHDT Paradisea + DAC. If I upgrade I'm going up the MHDT ladder to the Havana or Stockholm. They are non-oversampling DACs and have a very smooth yet dynamic, musical, anologue type sound. They don't grab every last nanometer of detail out of the music but thats not what I'm looking for. Instead they sound like real music! Crazy thought I know. I've mentioned these DACs on the board here before and was soundly poo-pooed by some of the "experts". Screw them! I know the sound I like and its not digital sound for the most part. The more analogue sound of the NOS DACs suits me to a tee. Anyways not bitching at you Dan, just venting my frustration. I really enjoyed your newest review on the NAD USB DAC. It sounds like an incredible value. Thanks for everyone's input so far!
  • Ern Dog
    edited April 2014
    ^^Thanks Dan.^^ So it looks like after reading the threads that you would recommend going with the Audioquest Forest and saving some dough over the other choices? If so I'm all for it, saving money if there is no audible difference between it and the others that is. I know any of them have to be an improvement over the $5 cable I'm currently running.

Thanks for the link for the DAC. I'm really happy with the MHDT Paradisea + DAC. If I upgrade I'm going up the MHDT ladder to the Havana or Stockholm. They are non-oversampling DACs and have a very smooth yet dynamic, musical, anologue type sound. They don't grab every last nanometer of detail out of the music but thats not what I'm looking for. Instead they sound like real music! Crazy thought I know. I've mentioned these DACs on the board here before and was soundly poo-pooed by some of the "experts". Screw them! I know the sound I like and its not digital sound for the most part. The more analogue sound of the NOS DACs suits me to a tee. Anyways not bitching at you Dan, just venting my frustration. I really enjoyed your newest review on the NAD USB DAC. It sounds like an incredible value. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

I did a couple things to take my Stockholm dac to the next level. I switched to the k chip and rolled some different tubes. Also it's very responsive to footers. These kinda of tweaks brought out the detail and allowed it to retain the smooth character. Not sure if you have tried anything, but your dac is highly tweakable.

I tried several nice dacs (empirical overdrive SE, chord qutehd, and Nuforce dac-9) but the Stockholm delivered something the others couldn't. It made my computer audio sound realistic and natural! It's all about system synergy.
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    ^^Thanks Ern!^^ I have a box full of different tubes and op-amps for the Paradisea. My current favorite tube/op-amp combo for my system is the Bendix 2C51 coupled with a Burr Brown OPA2107. I also have the Bendix 6385, Western Electric 396A and JW 2C51, Raytheon windmill getter 2C51, Tung-Sol 2C51 and all the other usual suspects in the 5670/2C51 family, as well as all of the usual suspects of op-amps. You are right the tweakability of these DACs are off the charts! What kind of footers are you running with your Stockholm? I'm currently running isonodes under the stock feet on the Paradisea.
  • Ern Dog
    edited April 2014
    When I first heard my dac, it sounded too "wooly," but after using some inexpensive vibrapod points, it sounded so much better. My friend has some nice aurios on his and that sounds even better. The audios cost a couple hundred dollars and the Vibrapods are $8 each. The isonodes may not be the best match because the MHDT's respond well to footers with a bearing. Try the vibrapods for an experiment.

I tried the Bendix tube and it sounded tipped up on the treble. The Western Electric was the perfect match for me. Next I'd like to upgrade the input/output caps.
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    Thanks Ern. I replaced the isonodes with three ebony wood cone footers I had laying around and it was a definite improvement. I'm probably going to try some vibrapods or BDR cones next. I found the Western Electric tubes to be just a little too laid back in my system, but I'm running an all tube setup (pre and amp). I could definitely see myself preferring either of the Wetern Electric tubes if I slipped one of my solid state amps back in the mix. I've thought about replacing my caps also, but lately I've been thinking about upgrading to the Havana or Stockholm instead.
  • Ern Dog
    edited April 2014
    Tube components all around huh, that's cool. What tube pre and amp are you running?
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited April 2014
    Yup that's the main reason I am intrigued by them. I am seriously considering it or the Kimber (because of my love of the it gear in my existing rig)

This one does the same thing I believe (separating the power lead) and is made with very high quality wire.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251320556412?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2014

Cool man the Forest is the best value in USB cables. My new NAD DAC is awesome. I really enjoy it's sound. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the new preamp and amp I put into my system as my limitless dynamic range is incredible. I think like the Audioquest forest , NAD has Incredible value. Right now I know of nothing on the market that can equal their value. Price to performance ratio is amazing.
    The MHDT Paradisa + DAC I have not played with. I'm actually looking forward to trying out Phil's new Dac.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    Ern Dog wrote: »
    Tube components all around huh, that's cool. What tube pre and amp are you running?

In my setup with the MHDT DAC I'm running a YS Audio Symphonies Plus R preamp with a Rogue 88 Magnum amp. I also use a modified Jolida JD-9 tube phono pre in this setup. I also have a modded Anthem Pre 1L pre and a Primaluna Prologue 4 amp I slip into the mix from time to time. I guess you could say I like tubes! :-)

Dragon that looks like another interesting USB cable to look at for sure!
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    mantis wrote: »
    Cool man the Forest is the best value in USB cables. My new NAD DAC is awesome. I really enjoy it's sound. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the new preamp and amp I put into my system as my limitless dynamic range is incredible. I think like the Audioquest forest , NAD has Incredible value. Right now I know of nothing on the market that can equal their value. Price to performance ratio is amazing.
    The MHDT Paradisa + DAC I have not played with. I'm actually looking forward to trying out Phil's new Dac.

I'm a big fan of NAD stuff myself. I have a NAD M55 that I use for Redbook CD/DVD-A/SACD and I couldn't be happier with its sound. It's a keeper for sure. I also have NAD Power Envelope 2400 and 2600 amps that I will never get rid off. Good stuff!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2014
    I'm a big fan of NAD stuff myself. I have a NAD M55 that I use for Redbook CD/DVD-A/SACD and I couldn't be happier with its sound. It's a keeper for sure. I also have NAD Power Envelope 2400 and 2600 amps that I will never get rid off. Good stuff!
    Pretty sweet stuff you got there.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited April 2014
    Another option is the wireworld starlight, I sell these by the truckloads to folks in Holland, England and Australia who sell them on for me and for very good reason. These are the fit every system usb cable and it really smooths everything over without getting in the way of the top end sparkle and separation.
  • Ern Dog
    edited April 2014
    Another option is the wireworld starlight, I sell these by the truckloads to folks in Holland, England and Australia who sell them on for me and for very good reason. These are the fit every system usb cable and it really smooths everything over without getting in the way of the top end sparkle and separation.

I've read a lot of great reviews about this one. How would you say it compares to the Audioquest USB cable?
  • Ern Dog
    edited April 2014
    In my setup with the MHDT DAC I'm running a YS Audio Symphonies Plus R preamp with a Rogue 88 Magnum amp. I also use a modified Jolida JD-9 tube phono pre in this setup. I also have a modded Anthem Pre 1L pre and a Primaluna Prologue 4 amp I slip into the mix from time to time. I guess you could say I like tubes! :-)

Nice gear! Would love to hear what your rig sounds like. I used to have a Rogue Stereo 99 amp and really liked it.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited April 2014
    I've read a lot of great reviews about this one. How would you say it compares to the Audioquest USB cable?

I did a comparison a long time ago and it smokes them.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2014
    :

Spammer. Reported.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Dawgfish
    edited April 2014
    Nice gear! Would love to hear what your rig sounds like. I used to have a Rogue Stereo 99 amp and really liked it.

Thanks Ern! I would love to hear yours also but unfortunately it looks like we are a little ways apart!

Thanks PFB! I am definitely leaning towards the WW Starlight after yours and Dan's recommendation and reading all of the rave reviews. How would you say the WW Starlight compares to the Pangea AG USB since you have experience with both?