Where'd all the beer threads go?

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I am also a craft beer fan. I've recently been getting into home brewing. A home brewing supply company just opened next door to the tattoo shop I work at.

Nothing to do with beer, but you may be interested in these.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/4110771557.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mr_natural78
    mr_natural78 Posts: 82
    edited October 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nothing to do with beer, but you may be interested in these.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/4110771557.html

I just left him a voicemail. Thanks a lot. Very much appreciated.
    Sony KDL-55EX500 TV
    Sony BDP-S570 blue ray player
    Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver
    Front L/R: Polk RT55i
    Front high: Polk RT25i
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Surround: Polk RT35i
    Sub: Polk PSW505
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I'm havin an Elysian Red IPA tonight. An interesting twist on an IPA with it being a Red. Very very good and I recommend it. :smile:

Edit: Damn, we need "widescreen" back.....
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Had a 3 Flloyd's Alpha King and Dreadnaught with pizza yesterday afternoon.
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    Had a 3 Flloyd's Alpha King and Dreadnaught with pizza yesterday afternoon.

Just had a zombie dust. Pretty good. Was at the brewery thus past summer. Want to head back for dark lord day some day.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    edited October 2013
    Options
    My son has attended dark lord day the past 3 years. It is getting more and more expensive. the Floyds have some good beer but they are very snobby. Was in LA last week at a local brewpub called Golden Road. They only distribute local and their beer and food is very very good. They cater to everyone from craft beer snobs to families with small children. Very refreshing.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited November 2013
    Options
    So I swung by the craft beer cellar in Belmont yesterday and picked up the following for a tasting. This is our 14th month in a row doing beer tastings with a group of 10 guys. Its my night to host.

From left
    Port Brewing - Santa's Little Helper
    Joshua Norton - Imperial Stout
    Breckenridge Brewing - Christmas Ale
    Troegs - Mad Elf Ale <-- don't know bout this one.....
    Uinta Brewing - Bristlecone Brown Ale
    Hebrew - Messiah Nut Brown
    (Not shown) Ipswich - Oatmeal Stout

I'm also ordering my 1/6th barrel of Wachusett Milk Stout tomorrow.

Yay!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Be careful handling the Mad Elf. There is no heat from the alcohol at the finish and they go down too damn smooth.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Malbec wrote: »
    Be careful handling the Mad Elf. There is no heat from the alcohol at the finish and they go down too damn smooth.

Well said. Usually I'll buy a bomber around Christmas and split it between myself and a couple buddies.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Not reading the bottle beforehand had me second guessing the cherry flavor. As long as it has a Christmasy taste, that is all im looking for.
  • Malbec
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It depends what kind of Christmasy taste you're expecting. No Allspice or nutmeg in this one. The honey and cherry are a nice balance to the beer's malt flavor. Not overt in the least.

Looking forward to to Anchor Christmas Ale on tap this year.
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If I can't get the milk stout, I will have another keg of anchor Xmas....its that good!!
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2013
    Options
    My keg of Anchor Steam Xmas will be here in a week. :-)
    I didn't even ask about the Wachusett Milk Stout. The belly wants what the belly wants...
  • Malbec
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If you haven't had a swill of the Anchor Xmas yet, you're in for a treat. They tweaked the recipe this year with what tastes like an additional ingredient that works quite well. Very yummy!
  • Malbec
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Also best serving temperature seems to be 50-50+
  • strider
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've never "gotten" the Anchor Christmas beer. That Mad Elf is pretty damn good though!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited November 2013
    Options
    My all time favorite winter beer
    5374919382_e83903cdd3_z.jpg
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2013
    Options
    This is my 2nd keg. I didn't know the temp but I keep my kegerator at a constant 50degrees. I hate freezing cold beer.

Never heard of Shiner...send me some :)
  • B Run
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Shiner is probably a Texas thing, the brewery is in a small town not too far from here. They have a ton of great beers, but the Holiday Cheer is my favorite. It's like their Bock with a hint of pecan and apricot flavor to it, they only have it from October-January.
  • Malbec
    edited November 2013
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    I've never "gotten" the Anchor Christmas beer. That Mad Elf is pretty damn good though!

The Trogner brothers cooked up a winner with The Mad Elf. It's dangerous though, each bottle of beer should come with its own
    MSDS sheet and an OSHA warning symbol on the label....a brain in a jar of formaldehyde perhaps.

Last Yuletide season I was drinking it like a watered down summer cerveza because it's not overly rich tasting or filling and the smoothness belies the speech slurring 11% ABV. I was putzing around the house getting little things done and when I realized I needed to throttle back....too late, lights out.

You need to pick 6 some Anchor Xmas Ale. I highly doubt you'll be disappionted.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Malbec wrote: »
    It depends what kind of Christmasy taste you're expecting. No Allspice or nutmeg in this one. The honey and cherry are a nice balance to the beer's malt flavor. Not overt in the least.

Looking forward to to Anchor Christmas Ale on tap this year.

Had a pint of the Anchor Christmas Ale last week. It's very good this year. Not the best brew I've had of it (I think that was the 2006 or 2007 year?) best a very good one.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited November 2013
    Options
    B Run...I've had Shiner here in Wisconsin, but just the bock. I liked it quite a bit. I'll have to look for that "cheer". I've got a store about 20 min from here that carries a pretty good selection of beers.

I also like Anchor Steam so I'll have to see if their Christmas Ale is available around here.

Side note...I had some Bud Light left over from a party this weekend. On Sunday, I sat down for the Packer game and started popping back a few. Been awhile since I've had a light beer honestly, and it sure does taste watered down after drinking craft beer for awhile. I probably had 8 or 9 and didn't really even feel much of a buzz, and didn't really enjoy drinking them either.

I understand I sound like a beer snob, but I guess I'm at the point where I prefer quality over quantity...and trust me...I've put back enough light beers in my life.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2013
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Side note...I had some Bud Light left over from a party this weekend. On Sunday, I sat down for the Packer game and started popping back a few. Been awhile since I've had a light beer honestly, and it sure does taste watered down after drinking craft beer for awhile. I probably had 8 or 9 and didn't really even feel much of a buzz, and didn't really enjoy drinking them either.
    The fact of the matter is....YOU SURVIVED! Friends don't let other friends drink BL. It's a manlaw.

I'm finally having my first Founder's Breakfast Stout of the season. Every year i forget all about how it tastes, buy it because i know i've had it before and then remember immediately after the first sip that i enjoy it immensely. There's something about the portly kid on the bottle that really brings out the flavor.....

I also had my first Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout prior to the Founders. Not a huge fan of imperials but that one is tolerable. I think the warm finish is the best part. The rest is just....meh. YMMV
  • strider
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I feel the same way about most imperials, whatever style they may be.

Tried a Green Flash Green Bullet triple IPA the other night. it has a very good rating on Beer Advocate10.xx% alcohol, felt like malt sucker punched me in the gut and his buddy hops kicked me in the face while I was down. It has a very good rating on Beer Advocate but I am not a fan, it was just too much.

On the other hand, had a Schlafly Tasmanian IPA, damn good stuff. Single malt and single hop, worked really well.

Sierra Nevada Celebration is really good this year, too.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Malbec
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Try the Yeti imperial stout from Great Divide Brewing. It's my favorite so far.

Brewed a 5 gallon batch of oatmeal stout during the July 4th holiday. I will be enjoying the fruits of my labor during the Cowboys/Raiders game today.
  • cienega
    cienega Posts: 85
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Oh yea... the Yeti and Founder's Breakfast Stout are must have brews this time of year. For some reason they are both much better on tap than in a bottle - even more so than my beloved IPA's.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I picked up a six pack of Shiners cheer yesterday, all of shiners is available here and I have become fond of thier Bock. I also picked up a sixer of Goose Island October Fest both darn tasty.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • B Run
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Shiner Bock is what I usually drink, how did you like the Cheer?
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited December 2013
    Options
    My daughter just returned from a trip to Wyoming and brought me back a 6-pack of "Moose Drool". I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with this beer? BTW, I haven't tried it yet, probably will tonight.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Got a six of Wolaver's Coffee Porter

Nice very smooth touch of vanilla and not over powered coffee flavor...would probably go nicely with a steak... or a burger.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |