Does Craigslist really suck?

Options

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dallas is just too much when it comes to CL. That receiver on DFW CL would of been at least $400.
    I can't even find anything at garage sales any more. 5-10 years ago you could get that stuff.
    Now it's all listed on CL and ebay at the same time for $$$$
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    edited July 2013
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

found these on CL a couple months apart $125 for two pair of CRS+, $200 for a par of studio 2B's a $325 investment upgrades to come. I say CL does not suck. BTW nice score Boston
    that picture is a tease :) nice
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Today i bought a pair of Monitor 10's which i already have. Just for the stands. Flipping the speakers tomorrow ;)
    Randy/Maine
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2013
    Options
    So... this last weekend Craigslist scored big.
    20130720_204312.jpg
    20130722_231643.jpg
    20130722_231701.jpg

So Goodwill totally sold me that Galaxy Note2 international edition new in box for $2.70. Sold on craigslist next morning for $450.

Turned around and bought some Carver gear off Craigslist...mmm
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dang thats a good flip Enjoy that Carver :)
    Randy/Maine
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Missed out on a pair of RTA-11Ts and a nice vintage Nakamichi receiver for dirt cheap.
    Now I am trying to convince the guy about 45 minutes east of here that I will be happy to pick up his Marantz 2220b, Pioneer PL15d ii TT and his pair of Pioneer HPM 100s all for $150 before the guy that's supposed to come tomorrow. First come first served dude...please...?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Too bad on the 11'a & good luck on the Marantz. Great deal BTW
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Attachment not found.I was scouting around Craigslist last fall & saw a ad with a beautiful Nakamichi 500 in his complete set up for sale. I responded to it,because that tape player is a nice unit--he responded saying it had been sold. Sh-t i said....last week i went to Goodwill in the town that guy was from. There it was. 9.99 YES i scoffed it up. Got it home and WOW it plays VVNICE..its a old unit but the meters/lights and counter works perfect. Puts out a signal that sounds so sweet. So i hooked it to my Sansui g2000 so its a keeper
    Randy/Maine
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Great deal Randy,that Nak looks sweet! You're finding some nice vintage stuff out there!:cheesygrin:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2013
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Attachment not found.I was scouting around Craigslist last fall & saw a ad with a beautiful Nakamichi 500 in his complete set up for sale. I responded to it,because that tape player is a nice unit--he responded saying it had been sold. Sh-t i said....last week i went to Goodwill in the town that guy was from. There it was. 9.99 YES i scoffed it up. Got it home and WOW it plays VVNICE..its a old unit but the meters/lights and counter works perfect. Puts out a signal that sounds so sweet. So i hooked it to my Sansui g2000 so its a keeper

A guy gave me one of those Nak 500's for straightening out the rat's nest that was his cable situation. Then he came over a few days later and gave me a bottle of Gosling's, which worked better than the Nak.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2013
    Options
    nguyendot wrote: »
    so... This last weekend craigslist scored big.
    20130720_204312.jpg
    20130722_231643.jpg
    20130722_231701.jpg

so goodwill totally sold me that galaxy note2 international edition new in box for $2.70. Sold on craigslist next morning for $450.
    Turned around and bought some carver gear off craigslist...mmm
    wow!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I've done well w/ C/L. My ADC 303AX $35---DCM Time Frame 350s @$120---Those lolely Infinity SM112s $30 and JBL J2060 bookies w/ stands @$20.All other gear either open box sale from BB, garage sales and the score of 2013 Polk SDA-2b $50 moving sale.In general I don't think C/L sucks it comes down to season, patience, luck, barganing power,local which in turn equals how far are you willing to travel for a deal.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I've done well w/ C/L. My ADC 303AX $35---DCM Time Frame 350s @$120---Those lolely Infinity SM112s $30 and JBL J2060 bookies w/ stands @$20.All other gear either open box sale from BB, garage sales and the score of 2013 Polk SDA-2b $50 moving sale.In general I don't think C/L sucks it comes down to season, patience, luck, barganing power,local which in turn equals how far are you willing to travel for a deal.
    thats some crazy deals there. I will say if you poke around there are good deal. I find alot listed under different categories. Household. General. Yardsales. Furnature. It pays off to look. If you have the time
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    opps wrong button
    Randy/Maine
  • nguyendot
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I had a guy show up today after calling me twice for my Marantz MA6100 monoblock listed for $100. He said he wanted it and I was like okay. He showed up at like 830pm and looked really familiar. Anyways I had him come in and look at it and he tried to hand me $10. I'm like um... hope you have another $90. He said no the ad said $10. Yeah..no I never make typos on my craigslist ads. I pulled it up on my phone right in front of him and it said $100. He was like "oh my phone has a small screen so it probably cut off the number, I knew it was really cheap!".....

Heh waste of my time. Really dude, you misread the ad and didn't bother to confirm the price with it being too good to be true?

It also turned out my boss and I had gone to this guys house and bought some speakers a month before - hence why he was so familiar.

Anyways.... frustrated.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

• sucks2beme
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Everyone who comes to look seems to NOT of fully read the ad.
    Speakers stands- pictures- model number, dimensions, and he shows up and is surprised.
    I thought they were bigger. Yeah, right.
    Or they show up with less money and get pissed if you don't take the deal.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nguyendot
    edited July 2013
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Everyone who comes to look seems to NOT of fully read the ad.
    Speakers stands- pictures- model number, dimensions, and he shows up and is surprised.
    I thought they were bigger. Yeah, right.
    Or they show up with less money and get pissed if you don't take the deal.

Most of the time when they do this to me - it's a deal I already have people lined up for. I tell them to hit the road because someone else is just a phone call away. 9/10 times they fork up the cash, the other 1 time (so far only one out of my 1000 deals) was an old man... 70 years old and his son who showed up to buy my portable LCD tv for $100. He agreed to the price on the phone then showed up 2 hours late. Then he asked how much and I told him $100. He then asked how you hook up a dvd player to it so I showed him the A/V minijack. He argued for 5 minutes on how a dvd player can't plug into a headphone jack - even though I had the RCA > Minijack adapter in the box.

Finally he offered me $20 for it ($200 unit) and I told him no, the price is $100 - I didn't drive up here and waste 2.5 hr of my time for you to lowball me now. He argued with me so finally I told him to bugger off and I hopped in my car and left him standing in the Walgreens parking lot. Only time I've ever done that but it ticked me off to no avail that he had such nerve.
    Main Surround -

• boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    nguyendot wrote: »
    I had a guy show up today after calling me twice for my Marantz MA6100 monoblock listed for $100. He said he wanted it and I was like okay. He showed up at like 830pm and looked really familiar. Anyways I had him come in and look at it and he tried to hand me $10. I'm like um... hope you have another $90. He said no the ad said $10. Yeah..no I never make typos on my craigslist ads. I pulled it up on my phone right in front of him and it said $100. He was like "oh my phone has a small screen so it probably cut off the number, I knew it was really cheap!".....

Heh waste of my time. Really dude, you misread the ad and didn't bother to confirm the price with it being too good to be true?

It also turned out my boss and I had gone to this guys house and bought some speakers a month before - hence why he was so familiar.

Anyways.... frustrated.
    Right. Sure. 10.00. Way too funny
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I usually i tell them sorry you made the trip for no reason. then they pull out the amount i asked for. I also hate when people ask to take less & they havent even seen it. Even when price states firm. I do understand people want a great deal though
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I try hard not to "be" one of these guys. I've even offered the seller more for a set of speakers while we're making the exchange in the parking lot because he had driven half an hour to meet me. And in one instance where a guy had held a pair for months because we had trouble hooking up, I forced him to take some money for that. He refused me politely but I insisted that he use it to take his wife to dinner (she was in the car). And he finally took the extra cash!

Really, if you're getting a "good" deal already, why haggle?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Attachment not found.Found a yardsale within walking distance from my house on Clist this morning. Bought 3 albums. 2never opened. Scorpions. Stevie Nicks-Sammy Hagar. 7.00 for all 3---- good price for unopened IMO
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2013
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Really, if you're getting a "good" deal already, why haggle?

cnh

Bingo my friend, when I sell something I price it for a no haggle transaction. Doesn't stop some people from trying though. When I buy something, I usually don't unless it's priced right which then becomes a no haggle transaction.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Bingo my friend, when I sell something I price it for a no haggle transaction. Doesn't stop some people from trying though. When I buy something, I usually don't unless it's priced right which then becomes a no haggle transaction.
    thats the best way there
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Unless its in worse condition than stated..ive drove 1.5 hours to buy something. Saw condition and walked away. Pissed too. Years ago i asked a guy 3 times how the surrounds were. He said perfect. Got there & they looked beautiful. Took off the grill & instant pissed off i was. The 300.00 speakers then could have been mine for 100.00. I wanted to knock him out. I just turnt around and walked out shaking my head in anger. Hate when people lie about stuff like that
    Randy/Maine
  • jephdood
    jephdood Posts: 1,671
    edited July 2013
    Options
    My worst CL selling experience happened a couple years ago.

Guy and I agreed on a price for some speakers over the phone (forget what they were). He shows up about an hour late, looks at them for about 10 seconds (they were pristine), and offers me about half of what we agreed upon. Of course, I said (politely) "No.." and explained that we had already agreed on the price. He proceeds to get really upset, bitching about how far he had to drive, etc, yadda, yadda... He got to the point of yelling at me IN MY OWN HOME, and finally says, "Hey a**hole, don't you know how Craigslist works?"

At that point, I told him to get the ____ out of my house.. that we just had the carpets cleaned and I don't want to mess them up.

He left. TOTAL nut job. I don't let CL people INSIDE my house any more. If I demo anything now, it's in the garage with both doors wide open and a screwdriver in my pocket.
    "I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2013
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Really, if you're getting a "good" deal already, why haggle?cnh
    OMG, how I hate that! I've posted great prices on new or excellent condition car audio gear and would always get several lowball offers. I've lost so much money on car audio its not even funny.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Our Craigslist hasnt had much on it up here. Youll see a item for sale thats a good deal & someone buys it & resells it the next day for 50.00 more. Ive got alot of old stuff on there & you cant give it away. A Marantz cassette player for 20.00 bucks. Its just as easy to keep it & let it collect dust in the box i guess.reposting it becomes a pia. I should of got rid of years ago
    Randy/Maine
  • sucks2beme
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Buying cars off CL? It's the pitts. It's almost impossible here in Dallas.
    Good shape means it runs. Title? Better learn the terms real well and ask up
    front. Amazing the number of people out there selling cars with no title,
    salvage title, or mechanic's lien titles. And not all mechanics liens are
    valid. And there are thousands of middle eastern or Indian guys reselling
    auction cars. And don't get me started about all the people selling fake Beats
    headphones CL is so jammed with these scammers selling their wares
    you can't find anything.
  • boston1450
    edited July 2013
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Buying cars off CL? It's the pitts. It's almost impossible here in Dallas.
    Good shape means it runs. Title? Better learn the terms real well and ask up
    front. Amazing the number of people out there selling cars with no title,
    salvage title, or mechanic's lien titles. And not all mechanics liens are
    valid. And there are thousands of middle eastern or Indian guys reselling
    auction cars. And don't get me started about all the people selling fake Beats
    headphones CL is so jammed with these scammers selling their wares
    you can't find anything.
    My oldest daughter was looking at used jeeps. She found a 2005 in Bangor for 4000.00. He said 1 come 1serve. She wanted it bad..we drove in a snow blizzard. 1.5 & meet him. He said follow me. We went another 25 miles to a garage where the jeep was. It was up on jacks. Bald tires. POS. and to top it off he didnt have keys. I told her to pass before we left. But she insisted. Needless to say she got one for more money closer..SCAM ARTIST
    Randy/Maine
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Just have to know what to look for. My last 4 cars have all been $400 or less with the exception of my current which I only paid $1000 for. The downside is those 4 cars have been over a 5 years period...

Oh how I wish I could afford something new! Just have to find the gems that are hiding.