power cord burn-in question

Options
bthogan
bthogan Posts: 151
edited August 2013 in Electronics
Just got my McCormack DNA-1 back, with Silver upgrade and some other stuff. Bought a Shunyata Venom 3 (with extension cord) as a homecoming gift, to show it how much I love it.

Sounded not-so-good at first blush, as expected (the cords, not the DNA-1). Now I want to burn those cords in. I can't hook the power cord up to my fridge or AC - they don't have removable cords or IEC sockets. So I've stuck them both on my computer, with its super-overkill power supply (1200w), overclocked/over-volted cpu, and seriously over-volted dual GTX 580s. But I don't leave my computer on all the time.

My question is...I know some things, like caps, need an on-off cycle to burn in properly. But I've seen some info that suggests that a constant current is best for power cords. Is that true? For optimum burn-in, should I try to plug the cords into something that's constantly running?

That's all. Thanks for help.
Marantz CD6004
Adcom GFP-750
McCormack DNA-1
Polk LSi9s
Signal Cable ICs
Blue Jeans cables
Post edited by bthogan on

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I just plug them in and let them burn-in while in use. I figure they are adapting to the gear they are running, and at some point reach an equilibrium where they work best with a particular piece of gear.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I burn in all my cords with the Plasma tv
  • bthogan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks very much for reply...You know, normally, I actually like hearing the burn-in. It's cool to audibly hear equipment going from ok to great. Unfortunately, in this case, I just don't have the patience to wait for the Shunyata to at least sound as good as the burnt-in cord it's replacing. And I gotta say that the Venom 3 really didn't sound very good for the first few hours. Mid-range presentation really dropped out, or rather, fell back - quite noticeable.

I'm confident that the cords' sound will improve - I'm hoping it will - but they really don't sound too good right now, and for the first time, I don't want to sacrifice listening pleasure to the burn-in process. The DNA-1 already sounds uh quite good with the burnt-in cord I have. It won't break my heart (or my wallet) if the Venom 3 doesn't end up surpassing the cord I already have; this is my first baby-steps foray into audiophile PCs, and it's a journey and I dig it...but man I love hearing that DNA-1 sing!

So that's my problem. I hear you...oughta just suck it up...but losing the amazing quality of that remastered Cars Complete Greatest Hits...or Spirit of Eden...even just for a few days (weeks?)...that's a tough one.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • bthogan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Please excuse double post...Unfortunately, I don't have a plasma TV...just an "old" Sony CRT w/out removable cord, and a Samsung LED monitor for the computer. I assume the computer itself will burn the cords in faster than the monitor. I'm actually thinking of leaving the computer on overnight and turning the monitor off.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Just get it burned in and don't worry about the process, its not like if you burn a set of speakers in with certain music then they are going to sound best playing that type lol. I have taken the advice of 200 hours burn and find that number works good
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I use the fridge for burn-in, just connect the power cord and let it run for a few days. I use an IEC to NEMA-15 adapter on the amp end, to accommodate the fridge plug.

burn_in_adapter4-1.jpg
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • bthogan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Glen B wrote: »
    I use the fridge for burn-in, just connect the power cord and let it run for a few days. I use an IEC to NEMA-15 adapter on the amp end, to accommodate the fridge plug.

I thought about that, may give it a try. Thanks for tip.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Just leave the cord in place and leave the stereo on for a few days, low volume of coarse.

Aside from the power cable, what I really want to know is how the McCormack sounds.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bthogan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just leave the cord in place and leave the stereo on for a few days, low volume of coarse.

Aside from the power cable, what I really want to know is how the McCormack sounds.

It sounds great. I mean, really lovely, no matter what I play. Not sure if the LSi9s could sound any better.

Went from an Adcom GFA-545 to the DNA-1, and learned what these speakers are capable of. Then I got the upgrades...I really like these LSi9s, but I'm extremely excited about the speaker upgrades in my future. I can't wait to hear what this amp is capable of. I'll be building around it for a while.

I'm thinking of starting a thread just to show off its innards. Mr. McCormack's work is a joy to behold, as well as to listen to.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Cool man, I also love their amps. The DNA 500 is a monster.

If you like the sound of what tubes bring to a midrange, higher frequencies, and still love that bass slam of SS, McCormack amps are a great amp to share some of each camps attributes.
    Don't let some of their lower wattage amps fool you either, they have current to spare.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited June 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

He could use his stereo as one normally would and at some point the cables will all be burned in. No strenuous measures needed.
  • lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited June 2013
    Options
    bthogan wrote: »
    Just got my McCormack DNA-1 back, with Silver upgrade and some other stuff. Bought a Shunyata Venom 3 (with extension cord) as a homecoming gift, to show it how much I love it.

Sounded not-so-good at first blush, as expected (the cords, not the DNA-1). Now I want to burn those cords in. I can't hook the power cord up to my fridge or AC - they don't have removable cords or IEC sockets. So I've stuck them both on my computer, with its super-overkill power supply (1200w), overclocked/over-volted cpu, and seriously over-volted dual GTX 580s. But I don't leave my computer on all the time.

My question is...I know some things, like caps, need an on-off cycle to burn in properly. But I've seen some info that suggests that a constant current is best for power cords. Is that true? For optimum burn-in, should I try to plug the cords into something that's constantly running?

That's all. Thanks for help.

Are you kidding? a power cord is not a capacitor!!!! if someone tells you to do the "burnig time"...He or She know $hit!...IT IS JUST A WIRE!!!!
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • lanchile
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Will all this crap of power cord "burning time" change the "reciprocal siemens" in the power cord? Check it and let me know!. Maybe I am wrong like all the time. or maybe my Fluke gears are bad.
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited June 2013
    Options
    The burn in debate is a bit comical since by definition of any significant use of ones system means the cables are 'burned in'. Now the question begs: Do they un-burn in?
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited June 2013
    Options
    the OP clearly states he does not wish to listen to the burn in and so is seeking an alternative route.

He also clearly states he has one burned in cable and the amp sounds great, and one non-burned in cable, which sounds horrible. So I am pretty sure there is no "burn in debate" for him.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • lanchile
    edited June 2013
    Options
    if ANYONE can hear a difference (if there is one) between "same cables", one used (burned in) and the other one brand new...that person must be out of this world. I wish I find those kind of people around here where I live, that way I can sell them regular power cords and "WASH" their brains (if they have some) with all this non-sense crap and make big money. I can tell them I have special power cables that can only produce True R.M.S power from their amps. I bet you, they will believe me hehehehehehehe

These people that say they hear a difference in the sound....Have they ever used any kind of equipments to measure and can prove they are right?. I do not think so!...all that is in their WASHED little brains.
  • 11tsteve
    edited June 2013
    Options
    i believe he clearly states he used his ears, which is the only device possible to measure whether he can "hear" a difference. and i am sure he is the only person who needs proof, since it is his ears, his system, and his audio experience.

so, really, there is no argument to be had.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • lanchile
    edited June 2013
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    i believe he clearly states he used his ears, which is the only device possible to measure whether he can "hear" a difference. and i am sure he is the only person who needs proof, since it is his ears, his system, and his audio experience.

so, really, there is no argument to be had.

I guess you are right! if He is happy and "convinced" that a used power cord sounds better. He should just enjoy it!!! in my case I use my ears and then I go for my equipments to confirm if I was right (most the time I am). I would not just believe whatever other people say specially in electronic staff ...unless of course I know it comes from a well "educated" electronic guru.
  • 11tsteve
    edited June 2013
    Options
    lanchile wrote: »
    I guess you are right! if He is happy and "convinced" that a used power cord sounds better. He should just enjoy it!!! in my case I use my ears and then I go for my equipments to confirm if I was right (most the time I am). I would not just believe whatever other people say specially in electronic staff ...unless of course I know it comes from a well "educated" electronic guru.
    i completely agree. I have read here for quite a while, and I have tried out many pieces of advice given, from cables to speaker mods, to differing pieces of gear. Some have panned out, some not, and some definitely go against the grain of what is said. All of it was worth spending money on, because I am curious, and I love to play and find out things for myself. But none of it is worth a shouting match.... it only comes down to what goes on in my little room.

of course, as always, this is just my personal opinion.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • lanchile
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Hey 11tsteve! if you really like electronics, you should check Diyaudio.com. You can learn a lot there and have fun at the same time. I am a member there since 2008. all these years I have build many amplifiers and pre-amps. They have a lot of excellent amp's schematics, also Nelson pass is there too. I used to work in an electronic repair shop for many years so I have all the hands on training and know how they work. I have spent crazy money in my Fluke equipments. But I feel good when you can count on a accurate reading all the time. Money well spent!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Are you kidding? a power cord is not a capacitor!!!! if someone tells you to do the "burnig time"...He or She know $hit!...IT IS JUST A WIRE!!!!
    Will all this crap of power cord "burning time" change the "reciprocal siemens" in the power cord? Check it and let me know!. Maybe I am wrong like all the time. or maybe my Fluke gears are bad.
    if ANYONE can hear a difference (if there is one) between "same cables", one used (burned in) and the other one brand new...that person must be out of this world. I wish I find those kind of people around here where I live, that way I can sell them regular power cords and "WASH" their brains (if they have some) with all this non-sense crap and make big money. I can tell them I have special power cables that can only produce True R.M.S power from their amps. I bet you, they will believe me hehehehehehehe

These people that say they hear a difference in the sound....Have they ever used any kind of equipments to measure and can prove they are right?. I do not think so!...all that is in their WASHED little brains.

Any more words of wisdom? :rolleyes:

It always amazes me how the people who know the least then talk the most to reinforce their ignorance.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lanchile
    edited June 2013
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Any more words of wisdom? :rolleyes:

It always amazes me how the people who know the least then talk the most to reinforce their ignorance.

Hehehehe...are you one of those "brain washed" too? and you are right... I do not know anything about electronics!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I do not know anything about electronics!

That's obvious from your sig.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lanchile
    edited June 2013
    Options
    lol...more brain washed on the road?... unbelievable! I guess there will be more coming soon. Let's wait and see!
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Well I think everyone should have a good time and do what they want and or can afford.
    I read these posts with interest and ascertain that in some cases they do make a difference
    they sure do look impressive.
    But with my income I look for something that will work well that I can afford. :wink:
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2013
    Options
    lol...more brain washed on the road?... unbelievable! I guess there will be more coming soon. Let's wait and see!

The opposite can also be true, correct? That is, people who believe that meters can tell one everything there is to know about a signal can also be brainwashed into believing this is true. A meter can only measure what it's designed to measure. Even then, there is a tolerence that the meter has and cannot measure beyond that threshold. Have you considered that what needs to be measured cannot be measured by a meter? Also, have you considered that the meter cannot measure in a fine enough scale to measure what needs to be measured? Something to think about...........
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited June 2013
    Options

I had not realized until this thread your level of ignorance on the subject matter. Thanks for exposing yourself.

While I firmly believe there is nothing better than the human ear for determining differences in audio related matters, forum member DarqueKnight has shown time and again that the process of burn in is real by posting scope readings clearly showing the differences.

In conclusion, take your insults and your ignorance somewhere else, it isn't welcome here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Time for the popcorn and beer.,,.,
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2013
    Options

Please quit trolling. All you are doing is thread-crapping. We all know there are believers and non-believers re: all kinds of audio related issues. To start a war like this every time is worthless and amounts to nothing more than you being a jerk. If you want to start your own thread to re-hash these extremely worn-out arguments feel free, but what's the point other than to stir up a bunch of hate and dissension? Go to some other forum if you want to act like a condescending and superior little punk. We don't go much for that senseless and immature drivel here.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2013
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Please quit trolling. All you are doing is thread-crapping. We all know there are believers and non-believers re: all kinds of audio related issues. To start a war like this every time is worthless and amounts to nothing more than you being a jerk. If you want to start your own thread to re-hash these extremely worn-out arguments feel free, but what's the point other than to stir up a bunch of hate and dissension? Go to some other forum if you want to act like a condescending and superior little punk. We don't go much for that senseless and immature drivel here.

Well said!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4