Repair 23 year old Monitor 10a or scrap it?

Options
mgd99
mgd99 Posts: 84
edited January 2004 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of 23 year old Monitor 10a's ( the stickers with serial number say 10A 96075 and 10A 96078). I had planned on using them as front L/R for Home theater and buying a decent Polk center channel and surrounds (we don't listen to much music anymore at home). I am trying to keep the cost of the other speakers below $500 total. I have read that this may or may not make for a decent system.

Now the real question/problem

Today I noticed the tweeter in one of the 10a's is not working. Who knows how long this has been the situation. My wife and I don't have the most acute hearing and with 2 infants, I can't be tossing around $$$$$ for audiophile quality gear that would go unappreciated.

Now that the tweeter is shot, would I be throwing good money after bad by paying $60 for a new tweeter and trying to use these 10a's, and spending another $500 for the center and surrounds.........or should I just forget going that route and buy a matched set of Polk speakers specifically for home theater (like the 6600 set) and relegate the 10a's to the attic ?? (I have them permanently affixed to the original stands and shipping them for an e-bay sale would be a pain.)

The living is room is 15x24 and all wall and windows. I plan on getting the Pioneer VSX-D912K for the receiver to replace the 20 year old Yamaha R-90. Like I said, I just want a decent system that will enhance the viewing/listening experience on my 56" projection TV........not something to make my friends drool. The $500 dvd/speaker/receiver systems out there seem way to cheesey

I am spending too much time going back and forth on what to do, so I am turning to you folks..........help.

Thanks
Post edited by mgd99 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't believe the SL1000 is available any longer. Maybe someone else here knows for sure or call Polk and inquire. This could make up your mind for you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    You can buy a replacement, but it isn't the SL1000 anymore. I would say that you are in a bind, and it will be difficult to match up a center and others to the MON10A's. By difficult, I mean, you will be perusing the used market to find a vintage match....or if timbre matching just doesn't matter, you are fine, buy whatever you can find.

They are great speakers, it would be a shame to add them to the attic. Perhaps you should just use them elsewhere, and move forward with plans to build something else.

I think the RM6700, PSW505 and a Sony ES AVD-C70ES would be a great small performer. That would be about $1200....set a budget and we can assist in spending your money :) That's just an example, there are many choices for you, with the old RTi line being so inexpensive these days.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I would certainly replace the tweeter, actually I'd replace both.

If you want, you can buy the Peerless 810665 from partsexpress.com, they run....

Well, just looked it up, it appears to be no longer for sale!

Go here: http://www.madisound.com/peerless.html Looks like they still have the Peerless for $29/each.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2003
    Options
    By all means, use the Monitor 10's for your mains. My present home theatre is setup as follows:

Mains: Monitor 10's.
    Surrounds: Polk RT800i's.
    Center: Polk CS400i
    Sub: Polk PSW650.

I would recommend that you spend $100 with Club Polk parts and replace your tweets with some SL2000's replacements. They will sound just fine.

The Monitor 10's are absolute fantastic mains for Home theatre. The bass response allows you to use a full signal to the front - for some damn impressive bass.

Monitor 10's are one of Polk's best sounding speakers ever. Don't sell them just because they are old. Fix them and treasure them for a lifetime.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited December 2003
    Options
    definitly a keeper, sometimes you can find replacement parts on ebay of you are patient. or just putting sl2000 in tem wouldnt matter much. used cs400i center will work ok with em. cant buy speakers that sound as good as the monitors without spending boku bucks.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Just fyi, the Peerless 665 was used by Polk Audio as a replacement tweeter for the SL1000 / HF1000 for a few years. It is a less expensive alternative, and I doubt anyone could tell the difference between it, and the replacement SL2000 (RD0194).

That being said, the RD0194 is a fine tweeter also, and will 'drop in' without any crossover modifications required.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I'm using the Monitor 10 Series 2 up front. I especially like the imaging and soundstage. If I do replace them it will be the LSi15's after having a listen first.

Dan
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Options
    mgd99,

Here is just what you need, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067834320&category=3276

No affiliation

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dan t
    edited December 2003
    Options
    No kidding. Nice find F1.

Dan
  • mgd99
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the ebay link. I have it on my watch list.

I appreciate all the advice. I HATE to not put my Monitors to use, besides sounding great, they double as display stands for some asian art I have.

It seemed like a fortune when I paid the $600 in 1980, but they are the only purchase that has lasted so long and were used so much.
  • mgd99
    edited December 2003
    Options
    dan t

You say you have the Monitors as L/R....what are you using for center and surrounds? Or do you just have L/R ?

TIA
  • dan t
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I'm not using a center. I bought a brand new cs400i and used it for about 2 hrs total, it's now in it's origianl box packed in my closet. I funnel the center dialog through the fronts and have had better success that way. I just bought a new house and finally coming to grips with drilling holes in the wall to run my speaker wires to the back for rear surrounds. I will go for some Polks that mount on the wall.

Dan
  • mgd99
    edited December 2003
    Options
    dan t

Really?? That's great news. You saved me a few hundred dollars. I empathize about the drilling. The previous owners had their wires cut at floor level when they left. I am in the process of tracing them throught the floor to save myself some drilling.

So, just a L/R and then a couple of surrounds. No center or sub-woofer. Nice.

I had actually considered the Niro 1.1Pro to avoid all the wires and speakers (uses one center and one sub...all software driven), but if I can get by with a set-up like yours, I am even happier.

Thanks
  • dan t
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I am using a subwoofer for when I watch movies. I have a Velodyne SPL-1200. Blends well with the M10's.
  • mgd99
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Folks

I been looking at the sl-1000 on e-bay that someone linked for me.

Question

My Monitors' tweeters are solid black......plate, screws, ring and cone..all black... with no words on it. The screw placement and the leads off the cone are placed exactly like the e-bay item. BUT the auction item looks silver.

Do my Monitors have 1000's for tweeters or 2000's???

I removed the tweeter looking for anything written on them and there is just some faded numbering on the back that seem to be a serial number, definitely not a model number.

Anyone able to solve this puzzle? I'd rather to be sure before I buy the wrong tweeter........which is how my luck goes.

TIA

Mark
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Options
    There are two versions of the SL1000, one black, the other silver. As far as I know the specs are the same. You have the black SL1000, bid away.

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Dan t,

No center channel. A man after mine own heart. Good show!

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Good point on the center channel.........some use one and others don't. I didn't realize you could get by without one.

Is it worth throwing $350 at a used cs400i if I have L/R's as good as the Monitor 10"s? The separation between the L and R is probably going to be about 10-14 feet. Won't the sound overlap sufficiently to avoid a Center? Seating in the viewing area is scattered and that in itself will comprimise the effect.

I would rather put the money towards the surrounds and sub and receiver.

I know some folks have to have the best of the best, but I am just looking for very good. Since Elmo is on the TV half the time, it would be money better spent elsewhere............unless a center is really essential to a very good surround effect

TIA
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2004
    Options
    mgd99,

Centers can definitely help focus movie dialog. Whether you need one or not can only be answered by you.

If a character in the right have of the screen seems to be throwing his voice a couple feet outside the screen to the right, and you find the effect irritating, then a center will help.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by mgd99
    Good point on the center channel.........some use one and others don't. I didn't realize you could get by without one.

Is it worth throwing $350 at a used cs400i if I have L/R's as good as the Monitor 10"s? TIA

Good Lord, don't pay $350 for a used CS400i, that's what they cost new about 3 years ago. I think sometimes used ones pop up now than then.. for around $175 + or - a few bucks.

I'm in the camp that prefers to have a center channel. In your case.. matching your fronts perfectly would be impossible.. but there are good inexpensive centers out there. I'd say... fix your 10's, hook them up to a receiver when you get one.. then decide if you can live without the center.

For surrounds... i'm very happy still with my F/X300i's. they are small, easy to move and sound very good. They give you the option of using them in bi pole and di pole mode. That means they give you the flexability to change the sound pattern as need to fit your particular sound needs. Some people use the di pole pattern if your surrounds need to be placed on the side of you. Bi pole is usually, but not always used if your surrounds are placed behind you.

good luck.. keep asking more ?'s if you have more.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I love this forum.

I did find the page for matching old Polks to newer models on this site. Very helpful.

Someone has the f/x300 on ebay for $189 a pair plus shipping. Supposedly mint. Good price??

Also, what about my tweeters? Should I grab one used sl1000 for $30? or get a couple of 2500's from polk for $48 each (replace both in my Monitors)? I am still concerned about that post that says the year I purchased these may have non SL tweeters and the crossover may not work well with them.

Also, I ordered the Pioneer VSX D912K for $288 (real 110w/ch). I know it isn't as good as the Denon 3803, but CNet gave it a high rating and said it might not be as sweet as the Denon, but for half the price it was a great deal. Since I don't have particularly great hearing, I figured I wouldn't be able to appreciate the difference. I compare it to my wine skills, I can't discern between a $20 and a $100 bottle.......but I can definitely squirm over a $6 bottle.

TIA
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    what i would do.. for your tweets. is to call Ken at Polk and he can give you some more info on what to use as a replacement for the bad tweeter.

Do you currently have a receiver you are using? Or are you starting from scratch? The advances in receivers the past 5 yrs or so has been incredible. My friend has an entry level Onkyo HT500 or something like that.. and it sounds pretty dang good i think. So you will probably be amazed at how good your new Pioneer will sound with the Mon 10's.

F/X300i's come up on Ebay quite often.. i haven't checked what the current market will sustain for those lately.. so I can't say whether that's a good deal or a great deal.

I just checked out the specs on your new Pioneer.. very nice... WTG! it gives you options for adding things like external amps down the road if you choose that route.

Al
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I have yamaha r-90 I bought back in 1980 (60w/ch). No surround functionality, so the Pioneer will be light years better. Of course I am trying to piece this all together without breaking the bank. I looked at the Onkyo and the newer models that came out since the 500 came out. The Cnet review pointed me to the Pioneer. I saw that the polk site mentioned Pioneer Elite's are a proper choice, but I figure that speaker manufacturers are not as price conscious when they make their recommendations.

I planned on call polk about the tweeters, but the sl1000 auction ends tomorrow. I am hesitant about buying a used tweeter, so may pass and get the new 2500's IF they assure me they work with the crossover.

My wife is going to kill me when this is all done. She thinks the TV speakers are sufficient enough. But I think the clothes she bought last year are still good enough, yet she continues to shop.......so................
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    this might work as a center for you.... appears to have some kind of SL tweeter.... that may match pretty close to your Mon 10's tweets

CS200
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    btw.....you say you have the fx300is.....you have two for 5.1 or three for 6.1??

Also..sub woofer and center? Someone recommended a Velodyne 1200 but $1k is WAY out for me. I am thinking a PSW 350 ( or maybe a new model sub??) since the receiver is only 110w/ch and the 10'a have those big 10 inch boys sitting in them. I figure the PSW 450 may be more than needed.........

I am looking at the receiver $300, 2 tweeters $100, sub woof at $200-$250, 3 surrounds at $100 each ($300 total) and then maybe a center for $200.........Total $1050 plus wiring. That is really more than I started out at, but matching the 10a's really requires upping the cost on the other components.

And to think, I started out looking at getting a HTIB Onkyo HTS760 for $400 and sticking the monitors in the closet. But I hope that this system will last me another 20 years and with the expandability on the receiver, I have some room to grow.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I have two FX300i's for 5.1 sound.

yeah home theater can be adictive to say the least. for me.. i did it over a period of about 14 months.. so i didn't go into shock, and my credit card bounce back and smack me in the face. ha ha ha.

You can check out mine and all the other peoples home theaters in the system showcase section here.. it might give you some idea for building your system. Plus it's fun to see what other people got for gear and speakers. From big to small systems.. they are worth checking out.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I would pass on the ebay auction, and either order 2 RD0194 (sl2000 replacements), or by a pair of the Peerles 810665 and save some money.

Same friggin tweeter for all intents and purposes. Either will 'drop' in your 10's.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I will pass on the auction. If the 2000's are noticeably better than the Peerless........I'd rather spend the extra $40.

Anyone know the diff between the PSW 303 and the PSW 350? I can get either for around $210 but can't see what changed in the models.

Also....the f/x300s........the vintage match table lists R35's as an option. They cost about the same, but if the 300's have the flexibility of positioning options, why would someone get the 35's?

AM I missing something (besides expertise in speakers)?
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    nope you're not misssing anything... there are two camps when it comes to surrounds..

1. those who prefer direct firing speakers as surrounds. such as the 35's

2. those who prefer bi/di polar surround speakers.. FX series

is just depends on what suits your likes, desires.

neither is right or wrong. both have advantages and disadvantages.
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Anyone want to buy a wife?

Well..........after all the great input from everyone here, I spent all Jan 1st searching for a PSW350, a CS400i and a couple F/x300i or F/x500i's for a good price.

Last night a polk forum member (tigerfever) beat me out on a pair of f/x500's for $150 (he made a swift, smart move...good for him...seriously). Good for me too I guess because when I showed my wife the f/x300i's I want to buy, I got the kind of look you get before they lock you in Bellview for observation.

The idea of 3-4 f/x300's (I can go 6.1 or 7.1) in our Living room did not thrill her........at all. In retrospect (and a desire to live a long peaceful life) I guess I must agree..........can you hear the sound of a whip somewhere in the background?

If I stick with the Monitors........add a cs400i and a PSW350............can I use four of Polks tinier satellites (like the ones that come in the 6700) and volume adjust them to compensate for their smaller size and still have a good system. Polks site for vintage matches only shows the 500i's as a match (the 300i's and rt35 are next size down). Please note that my receiver will only handle speakers for 8 to 16 ohms.

I am sleep deprived and a bit depressed at the moment, so pardon the ramble, but I thought I was all set. Oh how I miss those bachelor days................sigh....sob....whoosh....snap...crack.

TIA