What's wrong with SDA-2?

Comments

• Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited April 2013
    My guess would be at this point that you cannot depend on much the seller is telling you. Not much way to know they sound good with the drivers loose, and not much reason to pull them after posting them for sale. Could be 2A's or 2B's, either is a great speaker, but not sure I would make a very long trip for them given the info that's been supplied to you unless they were pretty cheap and i just wanted to make a road trip. Good luck either way.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • audiomagnate
    audiomagnate Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    They are cheap and I want to make a road trip so I'm getting my overnight bag ready. ROADTRIP!!!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,577
    edited April 2013
    YES YES. GOOD LUCK. IF THERE CHEAP THERE WORTH THE RIDE. A GOOD SET IS WORTH 200.00 or so. A mint set is worth 300.00 and up IMO.....good luck and drive safe too. Fill us in once ya have em :)
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    boston1450 wrote: »
    What was his asking price ?
    Fifty big ones. That's five oh dollarinis. Gas will be around $35, but I'm also picking up a pair of Small Advents in Delta, KLH 6s and maybe a pair of Apogees in Montrose. It's going to be tight in the Focus on the way home. It's amazing what you can stuff in a hatchback.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited April 2013
    Finally got some pics. Vinyl cabs (bummer) no end caps. The woofers are unmounted (so much for, "they're in great shape and sound great") and there seems to be something wrong with one of the dust caps. These appear to be 2Bs, correct? Not the cabinet style I was hoping for, and far from pristine. Are replacement woofers available and if so how much? I'm snagging the KLH Sixes as well BTW.

Upon further inspection it looks like the dustcap on the left is just suffering from flash bounce. I wonder why they are unmounted.
    Look like 2As to me
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited April 2013
    headrott wrote: »
    My great great grandfarther, Franklin Rhoda (who was a half brother of A.D. Wilson, whom Wilson Peak was named after and was originally going to be Mt. Rhoda, but that's another story) surveryed that entire area. We go and climb Mt. Rhoda located near Silverton every 5 years. It is a fantastic area to hike.

Very cool--thanks for sharing. I was aware of A.D. Wilson & Wilson Peak, but not of Rhoda.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,266
    edited April 2013
    Since the drivers are out I would ask him to give you the numbers off the back plate to make sure they are the correct drivers for SDAs.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,493
    edited April 2013
    Those look like project speakers to me. Can he explain why the drivers are pulled? Not sure I'd trust this seller that all is working. The pictures don't seem to jive with his description of "they're in great shape and sound great". Maybe he's blind & deaf?
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2013
    Finally got some pics. Vinyl cabs (bummer) no end caps. The woofers are unmounted (so much for, "they're in great shape and sound great") and there seems to be something wrong with one of the dust caps. These appear to be 2Bs, correct? Not the cabinet style I was hoping for, and far from pristine. Are replacement woofers available and if so how much? I'm snagging the KLH Sixes as well BTW.

Upon further inspection it looks like the dustcap on the left is just suffering from flash bounce. I wonder why they are unmounted.

They are either 2A or 2B studio version.
    The wood end cap ones weigh much more than studio version 80lbs vs 65lbs.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachments/classifieds/51624d1334605613-polk-audio-sda-2b-stereo-speakers-dsc_0236.jpg

Just make sure all drivers work.
    Price is very good.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    Do the woofers look right? What's the difference between a 2a and a 2b? Why would they call the cheaply made ones the "studio" version?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,374
    edited April 2013
    Those are 2A's in poor condition. Drivers not mounted, not sure what's up with the one dust cap, but it's not flash reflection, vinyl damages, only provided a photo of one cabinet, no SDA cable, etc. You're going to spend a lot more fixing those than if you bought a pair in good condition and had them shipped.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    Those are 2A's in poor condition. Drivers not mounted, not sure what's up with the one dust cap, but it's not flash reflection, vinyl damages, only provided a photo of one cabinet, no SDA cable, etc. You're going to spend a lot more fixing those than if you bought a pair in good condition and had them shipped.

I agree. He just sent another pic. The one woofer is toast, no dust cap, the other looks like crap. I hate those vinyl cabs. The cable is missing, and in the new pic the tweeter looks dented. Not even $8 worth of parts there.The second one is probably in worse shape. I'm passing. The kid is a freakin liar to boot. Oh well, if it seems too good to be true...
  • F1nut
    edited April 2013
    Do the woofers look right?

No.
    What's the difference between a 2a and a 2b?

Different drivers, crossover, SDA cable.
    Why would they call the cheaply made ones the "studio" version?

The 2A's only came in vinyl. The 2B's with the end caps simply have the end caps and side panels attached over the vinyl cabinet. The 2B Studio version is not cheaply made.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited April 2013
    That sucks. All that light in the room where he took the picture, and he rotates the speaker AWAY from the light. That is suspicious, and the woofers look like hell.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2013
    Those look like they're in "bad" shape! Jesse is right. How does one let speakers with rubber surrounds degrade to that state?

On another note. KLH 6s if they are the "originals" have the grills epoxied to them and there is no good way of accessing the drivers and crossovers without ripping through the wood cabinets with a saw; ultimately destroying the cab. Once you get in, the crossovers are EPOXIED as are the DRIVERS to the cabinet. So, there is no access to screws that hold normal drivers in place, and epoxy ALL OVER the PLACE. A real mess to deal with. One of the bad calls of an otherwise legendary Henry Kloss (Vilchur did not want to Epoxy everything)! This mistake was "corrected" in subsequent models--so look for one of those. It is VERY likely that an OLD KLH 6 will NOT output any highs because the crossovers are SHOT!

Sounds like you dodged a bullet with this guy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    I'll say. I was looking forward to that drive, and maybe lunch in Silverton. Live and learn; just another CL scammer. No wonder he didn't want to send pictures. I can only imagine what the other one looks like.

On a lighter note, I'm really intrigued by this whole SDA thing. I'm going to be on the lookout for a pair of SDA-2Bs with the real wood endcaps to play around with.
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2013
    I'll say. I was looking forward to that drive, and maybe lunch in Silverton. Live and learn; just another CL scammer. No wonder he didn't want to send pictures. I can only imagine what the other one looks like.

On a lighter note, I'm really intrigued by this whole SDA thing. I'm going to be on the lookout for a pair of SDA-2Bs with the real wood endcaps to play around with.

You should have told me last month before I sold my 2B's. :)
    They do pop up every now and then so keep eyes open.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,577
    edited April 2013
    Well. I was hoping to hear a GREAT OUTCOME here :::: they pop up once in a while. Keep you eyes open :^)
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,088
    edited April 2013
    Any thoughts on a set of SDA 2's for $300? Stumbled across these today:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/3772344707.html

What about these: SDA CRS for $200?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/3774187707.html

I currently have a set of Monitor 10's I bought new in the 80's. 86 or 87 or so. I also came across a set of them:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/3638362491.html

Any thoughts? My search for info lead me to this thread.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • DaveHo
    edited April 2013
    The 2's are 2B Studios. Asking price is about $50-$100 too high. CRS are priced right. But they are the original CRS, not the more desirable CRS+. Based on the beveled grill, I'd say the 10's are 10B's. Around here they go for $100 or so.

If you can negotiate the 2B's to something less than $250, those would be my pick.

-Dave
  • xjghost
    edited April 2013
    DaveHo wrote: »
    The 2's are 2B Studios. Asking price is about $50-$100 too high. CRS are priced right. But they are the original CRS, not the more desirable CRS+. Based on the beveled grill, I'd say the 10's are 10B's. Around here they go for $100 or so.

If you can negotiate the 2B's to something less than $250, those would be my pick.

-Dave

Ok so the B on the right of that one picture is how they did that? I did not even notice that B there. I was actually looking for a center and surround speakers to go with my Monitor 10's and these came up. How can you tell they are "studios" and what is the difference?
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

• DaveHo
    edited April 2013
    Cabinet style. Regular 2B's have solid wood top & bottom caps with grille cloth panels on the sides & no risers. The studio version is the cheaper of the two.
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    The weekend wasn't a total loss. I drove to Montrose (only 125 miles round trip) and picked these up:
    SNV10127.jpg
  • DaveHo
    edited May 2013
    Apogees, sweet! Hope you have a stoudt amp to drive those with.
  • xjghost
    edited May 2013
    The weekend wasn't a total loss. I drove to Montrose (only 125 miles round trip) and picked these up:
    SNV10127.jpg

Are those the Carver Ribbon speakers?

• audiomagnate
    edited May 2013
    Apogee Calipers. Lot's of high current amps in the house. My Yammy M-60 didn't like them at all!
  • F1nut
    edited May 2013
    They drop below 1 ohm, IIRC. There aren't many amps that can drive them.

President of Club Polk

• audiomagnate
    edited May 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    They drop below 1 ohm, IIRC. There aren't many amps that can drive them.

Just a little below 3 ohms on this model. The Scintillas are rated at 1 ohm, which is just goofy, IMO.
  • locnguyen26
    locnguyen26 Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    great sounding speakers
  • locnguyen26
    locnguyen26 Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    they look like the 2b