What's wrong with SDA-2?

audiomagnate
audiomagnate Posts: 48
edited May 2013 in Vintage Speakers
I'm picking up a pair this weekend (I hope, I haven't heard from seller in a few days) and have been reading some negative comments about this model. I love the way they look; very similar to Vandy 2Cs and they seem to use well respected drivers. What gives?

EDIT: I still don't even have a photo of what I'm buying. Which model uses the the sock type grilles with end caps like the Vandys, the 2 or the 2a? If they're conventional style with vinyl I will be bummed.They're supposedly in great shape and function perfectly. I'm going to have to make a 250 mile round trip pilgrimage to close this deal. I hope they're worth it.
Post edited by audiomagnate on

Comments

• bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited April 2013
    Which model of the SDA 2 are you referring to. There are various models. SDA 2's are very well respected here especially the 2A and 2B models.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2013
    ...have been reading some negative comments about this model. I love the way they look; very similar to Vandy 2Cs and they seem to use well respected drivers. What gives?

EDIT: I still don't even have a photo of what I'm buying. Which model uses the the sock type grilles with end caps like the Vandys, the 2 or the 2a?
    Okay... 1st it's not negative but a comparison against other versions like 2, 2A, 2B.
    None of them are bad speakers but 2B's are liked by most and are upgradable to TL version with new RDO198 tweeters.
    There are few who attempted TLing 2A versions also.

Here is a picture of my 2B's without grills on the right: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77947&d=1354634377
    None of the Polks use sock like Vandy's.
    2B's have front grills and side panels wrapped in cloth but back is open, no cloth there.
    Here is a pic with grills on: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78034&d=1354818821
    And here are pics of sides and all around:
    Polk SDA-2B Speakers (6).jpg

Polk SDA-2B Speakers (5).jpg

Polk SDA-2B Speakers (4).jpg

Polk SDA-2B Speakers (3).jpg

Polk SDA-2B Speakers (2).jpg

I have Vandy 1's and Polk 2B's are much bigger/heavier than them. May be Vandy 2C's are bigger than 1's.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2013
    I have the 2B with the cloth grills on the side. The manufacturing process used a bead of glue down each side to hold the grills on, and over time, they all warped, and came off. Due to the warping, it was impossible to get them to stay on. The process used to hold the cloth on the grills was also subpar, and the cloth has come off a few of the grills. This is from the strenuous job of standing in one place in my living room. Sound wise they worked pretty good, with a decent SDA effect.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure they're the original SDA-2. That's what he told me over the phone when I had him go check the model number. I have been asking for photos for two days now and he keeps putting me off. I don't want to bug him to the point where he cancels the deal, but I'm very curious as to what I have committed to buy.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,266
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure they're the original SDA-2. That's what he told me over the phone when I had him go check the model number. I have been asking for photos for two days now and he keeps putting me off. I don't want to bug him to the point where he cancels the deal, but I'm very curious as to what I have committed to buy.
    You have every right to bug him if he isn't providing information on what you're buying. It's your money that is being spent and you who will have to drive to get them. If it were me and he wouldn't send a photo of what he has for sale I would look elsewhere.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Mystery
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure they're the original SDA-2.

Original SDA-2's have two tweeters in each cabinet so at least confirm that.
    Later version like 2B's only have one tweeter.

Regardless, a hundy for SDA's is great price if all drivers are working.

• audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    I just got an email from him. He will send photos this evening and he's good to go for a pickup in a town in between us, Silverton Colorado. He claims they work, but testing them in a parking lot will be tough. I will have to go by visuals, pushing the drivers in and out to make sure they're not frozen, and my trusty VOM. Gas will be around $40, but it's a beautiful drive on Highway 550. I'll spend the night outside of Ridgway at my buddies place, who happens to be an audiophile. I will compare them to his Sonus Faber Cremonas if they work.
  • Mystery
    edited April 2013
    You can't test tweeter like that pushing in/out.

Take a small DC to AC converter like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tripp-Lite-PV-150-Tripp-Lite-DC-To-AC-Power-Inverter-150-Watts-Continuous-Single-Outlet/3910265
    And a small receiver and some speaker wires to test.
    That'll be enough to confirm all drivers and tweeters produce sound.
    Just be careful not to play with volume knob and keep your car running while receiver is hooked up.

Also, didn't see if they have IC cable or not. If not, the SDA driver will not have much sound.

Man, I always am amazed how big Colorado is.
    You can drive for hours and still be around the mountains all the time.

Edit: You may also need a 3.5mm stereo to rca adapter if the receiver doesn't have FM or can't tune.

• audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    I guess I could invest in a converter. If you haven't visited Ouray/Silverton/Durango, you really haven't seen Colorado.
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited April 2013
    If you haven't visited Ouray/Silverton/Durango, you really haven't seen Colorado.

I couldn't agree more.

Corkleftplus_2880.jpg
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Mystery
    edited April 2013
    Nice scene.
    Where is that?
    I've been mostly around the front range and Rocky Mountain park, not much west from the tunnel.

• audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    It looks like Iron Mountain between Ouray and Silverton, but that's just a guess. I've made that trip at least 100 times, I should know for sure.
  • Tbone289
    edited April 2013
    That is at the top of Corkscrew Pass. In that picture, I am between Red Mountain #1 and Red Mountain #2. I am overlooking the valley that highway 550 runs through, which can almost be seen down at the entrance of the gulch. The entrance to the pass is south of Ouray on 550.

The photo is about 150 degrees of a 360 degree panoramic I took up there. The other side overlooks Hurricane Pass.

Mystery, I spend a good amount of time in & around Rocky Mountain National Park and, IMO, it isn't nearly as beautiful as the San Juans of the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area.

Good luck with the new SDAs audiomagnate!
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited April 2013
    The simplest way to test speakers on the side of the road that I know of (this is not normally recommended but it has worked great for me many times) is to take your handy MP3 player and get an extra audio output wire for it. cut thee ends off and strip the wires so you can hook them into speaker terminals. The volume will be low but will give you enough to see if all drivers produce sound. Again this is NOT the correct way to use your MP3 player audio/ headphone output. Try this at your own risk. I just know it has worked great for me many, many times and never damaged any of my players. Good luck and enjoy.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • Tbone289
    edited April 2013
    Here is a picture from the far range seen in the first photo, looking back toward the Red Mountains where I was standing. I am overlooking the same valley here, and you can just make out Corkscrew pass winding up over the ridge between Red Mountains #1 and #2. I had made the trip over Black Bear Pass from Ouray to Telluride that morning, and this photo is taken from Imogene Pass on the return trip back to Ouray.

Sorry for the off-topic--I have a passion for that area. :wink:

1955436610_a8e3a7ae39_o.jpg
  • Mystery
    edited April 2013
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    That is at the top of Corkscrew Pass.
    Thanks!
    The simplest way to test speakers on the side of the road that I know of (this is not normally recommended but it has worked great for me many times) is to take your handy MP3 player and get an extra audio output wire for it. cut thee ends off and strip the wires so you can hook them into speaker terminals.

Yes, that's another way if there is nothing to give more power.
    Should work fine for smaller speakers but not sure how much sound comes out with big speakers like SDA's.

• audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    I have a pretty powerful portable headphone amp I can bring along with my Droid. I lived in Telluride in the 80s and Ouray in the 90s. I haven't been back since last fall, so I'm looking forwards to this trip. My friends house is 6 miles out of Ridgway at close to 10,000 ft. It's Tom Cruise's former stuntman's place and a real beauty with incredible views of Elk Meadows. I'll snap some pics of the trip and the speaker purchase. Are these going to fit in a Ford Focus hatchback?
  • Mystery
    edited April 2013
    I have a pretty powerful portable headphone amp I can bring along with my Droid. I lived in Telluride in the 80s and Ouray in the 90s. I haven't been back since last fall, so I'm looking forwards to this trip. My friends house is 6 miles out of Ridgway at close to 10,000 ft. It's Tom Cruise's former stuntman's place and a real beauty with incredible views of Elk Meadows. I'll snap some pics of the trip and the speaker purchase. Are these going to fit in a Ford Focus hatchback?

Headphone amp with L/R wires will work.

Also, you didn't mention interconnect cable.
    If they don't have it, outside drivers will not get enough signal but push/pull should at least verify they are not frozen.

I got 2B's in Toyota camry trunk so hatchback focus with back seat folded should work.
    (I forgot if I put both in trunk or one in trunk and another in back seat).

Or you can put one in trunk and one in back seat.
    I don't think focus has as big trunk as camry's to fit both in there.

• Tbone289
    edited April 2013
    I lived in Telluride in the 80s and Ouray in the 90s. I haven't been back since last fall, so I'm looking forwards to this trip. My friends house is 6 miles out of Ridgway at close to 10,000 ft. It's Tom Cruise's former stuntman's place and a real beauty with incredible views of Elk Meadows. I'll snap some pics of the trip and the speaker purchase. Are these going to fit in a Ford Focus hatchback?

You're a lucky man. Looking forward to the pics! I have a Focus hatch (two actually, a 2001 and a 2012), and I would say these will fit either of them with the back seat folded. Best to check dimensions before the trip though.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,577
    edited April 2013
    I got a pair of SDA2b's in a 2011 TOYOTA YARIS 2 dr---LOL---good luck with getting your speakers. I hope they look/sound nice. Keep us posted-pics too :)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,169
    edited April 2013
    Colorado members come out of the woods? I had no clue there we're more members on the forum..

I was born and raised here, I love the drive to Durango, I haven't been there in years, I really need to take the trip this year..

Congrats and enjoy!!
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    Almost 11 PM and the promised pics aren't here. He did tell me earlier the interconnect cable is missing, but that's no biggie, I can make one easily enough.
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    Now I'm totally confused. These http://www.ebay.com/itm/230968866370?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

have only one tweeter and two mid bass and are clearly labled SDA-2. Were the A and B versions not labled as such? I'm really hoping this is the version i'm getting.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,374
    edited April 2013
    Without pictures and a way to really test them I would pass on the deal. If you do get pictures and they are what you want, why not meet him at your friend's house?
    Were the A and B versions not labled as such?

Polk wasn't always good at using the proper labels, so you can't go by them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited April 2013
    Polk was pretty inconsistent in their labeling. Those in the ebay listing are definitely 2Bs.

Mine are also 2Bs and were labeled on the back with SDA-2 with one of them also having a "B" sticker on it. :rolleyes:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,374
    edited April 2013
    Smallies wrote: »
    they all just say 2.

That's not true, my 2B's are labeled as such with a large B on the top right corner of the label.
    I had 3 pairs and never saw any real wood end caps.

3 pairs of what and if they didn't have end caps, what did they have?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited April 2013
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    That is at the top of Corkscrew Pass. In that picture, I am between Red Mountain #1 and Red Mountain #2. I am overlooking the valley that highway 550 runs through, which can almost be seen down at the entrance of the gulch. The entrance to the pass is south of Ouray on 550.

The photo is about 150 degrees of a 360 degree panoramic I took up there. The other side overlooks Hurricane Pass.

Mystery, I spend a good amount of time in & around Rocky Mountain National Park and, IMO, it isn't nearly as beautiful as the San Juans of the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area.

Good luck with the new SDAs audiomagnate!

My great great grandfarther, Franklin Rhoda (who was a half brother of A.D. Wilson, whom Wilson Peak was named after and was originally going to be Mt. Rhoda, but that's another story) surveryed that entire area. We go and climb Mt. Rhoda located near Silverton every 5 years. It is a fantastic area to hike.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • audiomagnate
    edited April 2013
    Finally got some pics. Vinyl cabs (bummer) no end caps. The woofers are unmounted (so much for, "they're in great shape and sound great") and there seems to be something wrong with one of the dust caps. These appear to be 2Bs, correct? Not the cabinet style I was hoping for, and far from pristine. Are replacement woofers available and if so how much? I'm snagging the KLH Sixes as well BTW.

Upon further inspection it looks like the dustcap on the left is just suffering from flash bounce. I wonder why they are unmounted.
  • canadianicon25
    canadianicon25 Posts: 200
    edited April 2013
    a little clean up and they should be shiny. TIP: for cleaning speakers use a microfiber cloth and water. microfiber cloths can be found at most hardware stores and walmart.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,577
    edited April 2013
    What was his asking price ?