I will be buying a DAC this week, what one should I choose?

Options
2»

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Huh? If he's running lossless files with a bitperfect media player, there's hardly a better digital source.

Agreed,loaded with flac using J River and a good USB DAC(preferably async) would make for a great source.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I currently own (2) of the Audio GD "Big Boys" (NFB-7 and NFB-8). I will gladly put either one of them up against any of the DACs mentioned in this thread. Who's down for a shootout???

Incase I'm being too shy...

I will ship you one of my NFB's for you to evaluate against another DAC!

All I ask is that you provide an honest comparison afterwards... and that you use its balanced outputs... these DAC's are meant to be run balanced.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    In case I'm being too shy...

I will ship you one of my NFB's for you to evaluate against another DAC!

All I ask is that you provide an honest comparison afterwards... and that you use its balanced outputs... these DAC's are meant to be run balanced.

This offer goes for anyone reading this.. as long as you have halfway decent credibility here at CP.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2013
    Options
    This offer goes for anyone reading this.. as long as you have halfway decent credibility here at CP.

I don't know about the credibility part, but I will take you up on that offer. I was just looking at their web-site and am interested. It will replace my Bryston BDA1. However, it needs to have a balanced AES input since that is how the Bryston BDP1 digital file player is connected. It will have MIT Shotgun S1.3 balanced cables out, and a Shunyata Ztron Cobra power cable.

Is it burned in?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My Anthem D2 has balanced inputs for 2 ch stereo so would this at least sound better than the preamp capabilities of a DAC in my price range ? Is also jriver the best music software to use? My laptop does not have a any disk drives and just used hdmi to the anthem D2 with music and it sounds horrible. I do have a gaming rig coming from ZLTFUL that may pair up with a DAC better than my laptop.
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I don't know about the credibility part, but I will take you up on that offer. I was just looking at their web-site and am interested. It will replace my Bryston BDA1. However, it needs to have a balanced AES input since that is how the Bryston BDP1 digital file player is connected. It will have MIT Shotgun S1.3 balanced cables out, and a Shunyata Ztron Cobra power cable.

Is it burned in?

Good. They both do better via AES. I will send you deets via PM>.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Okay. This should be interesting. Thanks.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2013
    Options

Crap, I have NO CRED here :smile:.... oh and no gear good enough to run these :biggrin:

Carry on, felt like being a punk tonight :razz:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2013
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Agreed,loaded with flac using J River and a good USB DAC(preferably async) would make for a great source.

Right now I have a laptop connected to my Amanero USB to I2S adapter in DAC. Using foobar with a 1TB external USB hard drive loaded with flac files connected to laptop via USB. Works great, sounds great, no hick-ups.

EDIT: Oh Fred, at long last...the Twisted Pear Asynchronous USB Audio class 2 module.:cool:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/231514-asynchronous-usb-audio-class-2-module.html
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Good. They both do better via AES. I will send you deets via PM>.

This is pretty cool. I can't wait to here the comparison results.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I agree with you Fred and Rich, except I guess I envisioned PFB using iTunes out of the USB. Set-up properly it can be a great source. But not many take the time to acquire the knowledge and take the time to do it properly. That's where my comment came from.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2013
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I agree with you Fred and Rich, except I guess I envisioned PFB using iTunes out of the USB. Set-up properly it can be a great source. But not many take the time to acquire the knowledge and take the time to do it properly. That's where my comment came from.

H9

I didn't even think about it as I knew you knew a laptop can be used if set up proper cause you have. I just wanted to add you can hook up an external USB drive to the laptop.

I was also gonna suggest black spray paint; you can make anything match.:cheesygrin:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • FTGV
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh Fred, at long last...the Twisted Pear Asynchronous USB Audio class 2 module.:cool:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/231514-asynchronous-usb-audio-class-2-module.html
    Wow finally!I don't really need it but I might have to if you know what I'm sayin.
  • FTGV
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I was also gonna suggest black spray paint; you can make anything match.:cheesygrin:
    Lol ,any suggestions as to where to find suitable black paint?:lol:
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2013
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Lol ,any suggestions as to where to find suitable black paint?:lol:

Wasn't there a thread here aboot dat?:cheesygrin:

I hear ya on the TP USB module. I'm thinkin' some OP influence in that design.
  • FTGV
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Wasn't there a thread here aboot dat?:cheesygrin:
    Yarp.
    I'm thinkin' some OP influence in that design.
    I can see why it took so long in development ,looks well thought out.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Right now I have a laptop connected to my Amanero USB to I2S adapter in DAC. Using foobar with a 1TB external USB hard drive loaded with flac files connected to laptop via USB. Works great, sounds great, no hick-ups.

Enders, you should check this out. The Twisted Pear USB module should be outstanding!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I currently own (2) of the Audio GD "Big Boys" (NFB-7 and NFB-8). I will gladly put either one of them up against any of the DACs mentioned in this thread. Who's down for a shootout???

I'd be interested in a shootout after BlueFox is done if you are looking for a follow up comparison. You can find the DAC I built that I will compare it to here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?119264-Fully-balanced-Buffalo-II-DAC-with-Tube-I-zator-tube-output.

If you are not interested in sending the DAC to multiple people, it's no biggie though.:wink:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2013
    Options
    You can run a TT preamp into the Benchmark DAC/PRE or HDR flavor thru it's analog input. I'd recommend either the DAC/PRE or HDR to get the upgraded op-amps. Been very satisfied with Benchmark DAC's for over 8 years.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My Anthem D2 has balanced inputs for 2 ch stereo so would this at least sound better than the preamp capabilities of a DAC in my price range ? Is also jriver the best music software to use? My laptop does not have a any disk drives and just used hdmi to the anthem D2 with music and it sounds horrible. I do have a gaming rig coming from ZLTFUL that may pair up with a DAC better than my laptop.

Also, bear in mind that the PC does have a SPDIF out as well as optical out. But the on-board soundcard, while adequate and *decent*, is definitely not a standalone audiophile grade soundcard.

I have played with the Wadia 121 (bottom of this page) http://www.audiovideologic.com/cdplayers_dacs_transports.php and really liked it. But I haven't had a chance to compare it to much.

I have a Peachtree DAC iT but it isn't in the ballpark of other mentioned in this thread.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I may have a DAC-2 available...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • blairfrischx
    blairfrischx Posts: 259
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a USB->SPDIF converter instead of a dedicated DAC. The Stello U2 and U3 are both good. The KingRex UD384 is also pretty well-regarded.

I'd be seriously interested in hearing how the more expensive Audio-GD products compare to my Stello DA100 Signature. They're pretty similar in price, both balanced, and both from Asian manufacturers.

I don't know about credibility, though. I don't post much; I just hang around. :redface:
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    Options
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Bryston DAC.
    http://bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDA-2.html
    or the BDA-1

The Bryston preamp has the same DAC built in so you get the DAC and Preamp for a better deal.

Why Bryston?
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bda-1-da-converter-page-2
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I went with the ps audio perfectwave dac
  • Ducati Guy
    Ducati Guy Posts: 160
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Any thoughts on the new Parasound Zdac?
    Just read a rave review in HiFi Choice about it and Parasound always seems to build high quality stuff.
    $475 is a reasonable real world price.
    Anyone on here recently bought one?
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited April 2013
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    If all you have is a laptop for a source, don't waste $2K on a dac.

What? For $2K the OP could get a Macbook and Apogee Duet 2.