I will be buying a DAC this week, what one should I choose?

Options
polkfarmboy
polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
edited April 2013 in Going Digital
My wife is giving me her blessing to go ahead and pick one even though I just bought a gaming pc

My question is what one? I have never even owned a good cd player as everythings been focused on everything but 2 channel music. I am all done with HT for the moment so this week I will probably just be reading a whole bunch about Dacs

My budget is around $2000 and don't want to go higher and there are many good options out there. It needs to be black even though silver or white sounds the same as I want to to blend with my gear. Right now all I have is my laptop as a source for delivery nothing more. I don't really know where to buy music from thats good quality or what programs to run to play them
Post edited by polkfarmboy on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My wife is giving me her blessing to go ahead and pick one even though I just bought a gaming pc

My question is what one? I have never even owned a good cd player as everythings been focused on everything but 2 channel music. I am all done with HT for the moment so this week I will probably just be reading a whole bunch about Dacs

My budget is around $2000 and don't want to go higher and there are many good options out there. It needs to be black even though silver or white sounds the same as I want to to blend with my gear. Right now all I have is my laptop as a source for delivery nothing more. I don't really know where to buy music from thats good quality or what programs to run to play them

Well its not just a DAC but the Benchmark DAC1 HDR comes to mind. Its a combo DAC/Pre with a remote. Only connection lacking is TT. It gives you options later on to add more stuff than just your computer.

Just my .02. I want one myself someday for my 2 channel system.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I know benchmark has the dac 2 now and I like the idea of a dac with a preamp built in as its kinda like ... instant 2 channel just add music
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I know benchmark has the dac 2 now and I like the idea of a dac with a preamp built in as its kinda like ... instant 2 channel just add music

Yup, dont know if the DAC 2 has a remote though....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I just spoke to a guy on audiogon he has a wyred4sound dac 2 listed for $1075. The bad news is that its in silver so strike that option even though that is a killer price on that and it too has a pre and remote
  • bklynNupe
    bklynNupe Posts: 728
    edited March 2013
    Options
    w4s dac2

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Just make sure you get one that's indestructible! :lol:
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2013
    Options
    bklynNupe wrote: »
    w4s dac2

I know I am like ... WHY!!!!!!! does it have to be silver lol. I have never saw the price on that dac that cheap before
  • bklynNupe
    edited March 2013
    Options
    well, it's kind of black with the trim.
    I guess you can hold out if even a little silver is a non-starter.
    I just spoke to a guy on audiogon he has a wyred4sound dac 2 listed for $1075. The bad news is that its in silver so strike that option even though that is a killer price on that and it too has a pre and remote

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Pro-Ject debut
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2013
    Options
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-ps-audio-perfectwave-dac-i-2013-03-02-digital-01341-conway-ma

or the newer one:
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-ps-audio-perfect-wave-mkii-dac-2013-03-03-digital-14526-penfield-ny

Both great DACs the MK2 being black but honestly if it sounds good I wouldn't care too much about what it looks like.

There are a TON of Dacs Wyred is a good one too, so many, Esoteric also good, just going to come down to what you can find.
    Wadia has a small one thats black that performs well. Another forum that had a member that upgraded from the Wadia to the Esoteric 07 mk2 and was very happy with it. However the new 07 is around 4K or so.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-esoteric-d-07-dac-preamplifier-with-full-warranty-2013-02-19-digital-01060-florence-ma
  • bklynNupe
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I caught mine for about the same price with shipping and didn't regret it one bit. it is a good price.
    I know I am like ... WHY!!!!!!! does it have to be silver lol. I have never saw the price on that dac that cheap before

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Pro-Ject debut
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If all you have is a laptop for a source, don't waste $2K on a dac.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2013
    Options
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Higher end Audio gd big boy, i.e., nfb-7 or 8. It'll blow that w4s out of the water. I might have one for you.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

Huh? If he's running lossless files with a bitperfect media player, there's hardly a better digital source.

I'm interested in the rest of the rig though, cuz the 2k may be able to be triaged in a more effective way.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited March 2013
    Options
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I used to own the W4S Dac2 (in black...). Sold it to someone here. I ended up buying a Marantz SACD player that can also function as a Dac. I like the sound just as much as the Dac2, it's less money, plus you can obviously play SACD's! Check out the Marantz SA8004. If you get it, you'll thank me. Oh, and it's black.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My rigs just a ht setup with an anthem d2 and anthem amps I have exp1 speaker cables and ic's and will be using Martin logan Vista for 2 channel listening
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Dude, you could go way cheap by just getting a usb>spdif converter hooked straight into your pre/pro, then spend the extra 1.7k elsewhere.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If you are not using USB then this is it.
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYBDA1

If you need USB then spend a few extra dollars.
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYBDA2
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I heard the bryston bda1 and was not really loving it but it was a local demo and it was using paradigm speakers. The bda 2 though is only a few hundred more so I will get my read on with that

As far as buy the usb>spdif converter hooked straight into your pre/pro, spend the extra 1.7k elsewhere. I have thought a little along those lines but I figured if I start with a nice dac then I can tough it out till I get a nice 2 channel amp then start on things like a good tube pre and higher end cables
  • BlueFox
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I heard the bryston bda1 and was not really loving it but it was a local demo and it was using paradigm speakers. The bda 2 though is only a few hundred more so I will get my read on with that

So many variables you never know what you are listening to. I upgraded from a Benchmark DAC1 to the BDP1, and love it. It gets good reviews except for the USB, which sucks. The BDP2 fixes the USB issues, and has newer DAC chips. It is supposed to be a bit better than the BDP1. I am sort of thinking of getting one for myself, but maybe a little later since I am really happy with both the two channel and HT at this time.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm very happy with my Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player that also functions as a DAC. Actually, I was so pleased with the first one I bought that I bought a second one to use my my second system.

However, this model has been discontinued an replaced with the Azur 851C, which also serves as a digital preamp. I haven't heard one, but if it sounds as good as the 840C, it's worth a listen and it's in your price range.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Dude, you could go way cheap by just getting a usb>spdif converter hooked straight into your pre/pro, then spend the extra 1.7k elsewhere.

I would go this route. I doubt a separate DAC is going to be much of a bump over the D2.

If you want to buy a DAC, you could do the Wyred4Sound DAC2 and use the HT bypass in it. Personally, I like to use ARC in two channel as well. I found this to be better than a separate DAC.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I got a lot of experience with many different DAC's now Including the DAC 1 from Benchmark. We have a used one that you could get a killer deal on but we also have the brand new DAC 2. We also got in the Teac DAC's that I have not personally tested yet. we got Peach Tree , Cambridge , the Dragon Fly , man we are loaded with DAC's.

if you join our website www.audiolab.com , you will get a discount. Also mention you know me and further your discounts. if you want to PM me , we could discuss your needs , price further or do it here. Either way I can help you get into a killer DAC for a Killer price.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Get one of those Audioquest Dragonfly's and spend the rest on music.
    Or hookers and blow.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited March 2013
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

*shakes head*
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    nwohlford wrote: »
    I would go this route. I doubt a separate DAC is going to be much of a bump over the D2.

If you do go this route, the USB>SPDIF converter to get is the Stello U3. Beats the pants off the Audio GD Digital Interface and Musical Fidelity V-Link, both of which beat the pants off the internal USB solutions on most USB/DACs.... including the Bryston BDA and the W4S DAC2.

• BlueFox
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If you do go this route, the USB>SPDIF converter to get is the Stello U3. Beats the pants off the Audio GD Digital Interface and Musical Fidelity V-Link, both of which beat the pants off the internal USB solutions on most USB/DACs.... including the Bryston BDA and the W4S DAC2.

You forgot the Emotiva DAC.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You forgot the Emotiva DAC.

Isn't "emotiva" and "DAC" an oxymoron?

• falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I currently own (2) of the Audio GD "Big Boys" (NFB-7 and NFB-8). I will gladly put either one of them up against any of the DACs mentioned in this thread. Who's down for a shootout???