20 amp dedicated circuit makes a difference

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
edited January 2013 in The Clubhouse
Over the years, I have been reading here various threads about power cords, and dedicated circuits for the stereo, and I have done my due diligence in reading these threads. Basically, that consists of determining who seems to know what they are talking about, and who is just running their mouth.

Since my house was built in 1958, the entire left side, and the back wall in my bedroom, is on the same circuit. This means my HT and stereo shared the same circuit, along with the TV, lights, and computer in my 'office' (little bedroom). So, while I thought my stereo sounded good in the past, all the talk about power cords and dedicated circuits made me wonder if maybe there was something to it.

Long story short on the power cords, I tried Pangeas, and noticed an improvement. Over time I moved up to Shunyata and really noticed an improvement. I added a Shunyata Triton power conditioner, and again heard an improvement.

By now I am thinking that I have maxed out the improvement that can be achieved from clean power, but I was wrong.

Last week I had two 20 amp lines installed, one for the HT, and one for the stereo. Doing that really took a load off the original single line I was using. Anyway, as soon as I turned on the stereo I could hear a more solid bass. Later as I really listened to it I could tell the bass is improved, and the background is very quiet. It is really quite amazing.

So, moral of the story is if you want to get maximum performance from your gear then the power needs to be as clean as possible. Don't choke your gear with stock power cords. Upgrade. Get a good power conditioner, and a dedicated line.

As a side note, a few years ago I had my panel upgraded to a 200 amp panel with all new breakers. Before doing that I would notice my reading light dim when the refrigerator turned on, or flicker when the washer ran. And those items were on a different circuit. Clean AC power really does matter.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Post edited by BlueFox on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,872
    edited January 2013
    One can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited January 2013
    Dedicated power, the only way to go!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited January 2013
    One can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****.

Tom

Is that an old proverb?:smile:
  • treitz3
    edited January 2013
    No, not really. Well, at least I don't think it is. I have been saying that for years. So many years, in fact, that I forgot whether it came from me or someone else. Whatever the case, it fits.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,161
    edited January 2013
    The backbone of any system is key to everything performing to max.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2013
    Interesting results--always wanted a dedicated circuit just for the system...hmmmm.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2013
    Congrats! Good power is a requirement and does make a notice as you've seen.

needs-dedicated-circuit.jpg
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited January 2013
    zingo wrote: »

sure! there's room for my LEG LAMP!
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2013
    We bought our house new - from the dirt up - so I had a dedicated 20amp circuit put in for my setup.

One of my better decisions! :cheesygrin:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,454
    edited January 2013

LOL Love that pic!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited January 2013
    I went through the same as you. My house was built in 1946 and up until just a year ago it still had the original 60A fused service. I couldn't run the clothes dryer and range at the same time. Lights were dim all over and there were about 4 circuits to feed a 2400sq/ft house.

New 200amp service and panel. First new circuit was a 20A to the living room. Totally transformed my sound system and TV. I've spent the past year running new circuits all over the house and splitting everything up. Not much of the original cloth covered wiring is left.
  • timalan
    timalan Posts: 106
    edited January 2013
    Congrats on the new setup. Glad to hear it's bringing out the music.

For those of us who won't have dedicated power amps anytime in the foreseeable future (rental for at least the next few years), any advice on the best value in a power conditioner for HT and for 2-channel?
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2013

So when did you break-in to my house and photograph my Triton power conditioner and Shunyata power cables. :lol:

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited January 2013
    Congrats on the upgrade Bluefox, I've been wanting to get 1 or 2 20 amp dedicated circuits , maybe even a new panel as you did for my system. About, much does all of this cost(circuits and panel) to get done by a licensed electrician, $750, $1000, more??? I refuse to get it done cheaper by someone who isn't qualifed and licensed. PS, great pic,lol!!!!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,152
    edited January 2013
    What I will be doing this spring!!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2013
    I ran a 20-amp circuit using oversized wire. The Romex I used was rated for 30 amps, think it's 10-gauge IIRC.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • htrdln
    htrdln Posts: 116
    edited January 2013
    is it a special circuit breaker or just a reg one i had a 220 hot tub on two small circuit removed the tib and wire and now i have two empty 20 amp breakers so i could just run the wire straight to the room?
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2013
    Regular breaker. However, that points out a market niche opportunity. Audiophile circuit breakers.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2013
    You mean like this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=7730&d=1358489098
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,532
    edited January 2013
    BlueFox wrote: »
    So when did you break-in to my house and photograph my Triton power conditioner and Shunyata power cables. :lol:

I thought that was Paul system.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,641
    edited January 2013
    Right now I have a dedicated 15amp line going to my system...

I've been debating going to a 20amp breaker and outlet. Just not sure I would hear a difference, can't imagine I'm anywhere near maxing out the 15amp stuff.

I guess I should just swap the stuff and give it a listen. It would only take 1/2 an hour...
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2013
    It's all about headroom....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2013
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You mean like this?

Typical. As soon as I think of something, somebody rips me off. :biggrin:

Thanks for showing me that. Now I want one.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2013
    Upstatemax wrote: »

I've been debating going to a 20amp breaker and outlet. Just not sure I would hear a difference, can't imagine I'm anywhere near maxing out the 15amp stuff.

I guess I should just swap the stuff and give it a listen. It would only take 1/2 an hour...

This is just a guess, but I think the important part is "dedicated". For a single two channel system, more than likely, a dedicated 15 amp line is probably fine. Unless you really have some beasts for amps.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,327
    edited January 2013
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You mean like this?

Who makes that? Me like, me want!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited January 2013
    40K for the panel shown. Me likes too but damn. Damn.

Tom
  • F1nut
    edited January 2013
    I'll admit I wasn't expecting that kind of price. There doesn't seem to be enough gold in it to justify the price.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited January 2013
    Wouldn't you like to hear it [the end result] though?....

Tom
  • F1nut
    edited January 2013
    Sure would. Tell ya, that's some major eye candy!

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2013
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Be cautious on doing that if wiring isn't 12g or better. That's not legal, and not safe if under 12g wiring.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma