LSi15 Crossovers Burned Through!!!

Options
TeleMan2920
TeleMan2920 Posts: 8
edited December 2012 in Troubleshooting
Hi to all,
New here so bear with me. I?m not sure how to start, but here is a quick history of my LSi15?s, since it may limit your ideas.

I am original owner, got them for my b-day from ex-fiance (what a gift, right? I said ?ex?, I paid plenty?:wink:) They were actually way out of my league, but who would refuse a gift like this, right? I don?t remember the exact year of purchase, since, of course, I can?t find receipt right now (but I will, I know it?s here)! As for my bad luck, I do know that the 5 year warranty period has expired. Sadly, they have been silent for over 2 years, as I didn?t have the extra money to fix them. Used mostly for movies and some music in the living room of a trailer house with 3 young girls (7, 5 & 2 yrs.) So they were never even pushed to the point that you couldn't talk over them. As I said they were beyond necessary for my needs!

I noticed one day a tweeter wasn?t working, so after searching the web for similar symptoms, the problem seemed to be a resistor on the crossovers. I thought ?uh-oh, what is that?? Since, I am one of those that need to know, is mechanically able and extremely independent, I decided that I couldn?t do anymore harm and found out how to get to them. Well that was easy enough.

It was also easy to see what was wrong. Definitely the crossover and well beyond replacing parts?Wow!! That sucks!! Also I'm not sure how I never smelled this, I can't recall anyways. I mean it looks like it was almost on fire!
Polk LSi15 Xover 3.jpg
Polk LSi15 Xover 1.jpg

After seeing this, thought I should check the other one, even though the tweeter was working. Here is what I found. Not as bad, but on its way to junk.
Polk LSi15 Xover 7.jpg

What I found interesting is the lack of solder on one post and the other a very poor connection. I have no idea if this could be the cause, but certainly does not look as though it would help matters any. Seeing this level of quality was also disappointing!
Polk LSi15 Xover 9.jpg
DSC02516.jpg

What are my options and cost for replacing the crossovers in my LSi15?s?

Thanks in advance,
TeleMan2920
Post edited by TeleMan2920 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If you can solder, it's easy to replace the resistors yourself and get them running again. Here's the LSi15's schematic: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18678&d=1155780535

Here's a link to the resistors you need(purchase 2): http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=005-2

The newer resistors are more durable, but you need to find the cause of your problem. What are you powering them with?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    What are you powering them with?

I suspect that may be the cause of his problems.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If your serious about getting them up and running, I'd just send the crossovers to VR3 and have him redo them for you. In addition, I wouldn't redo the crossovers until you dedicate an amplifier of decent quality to power them. No sense burning them up again if you use a receiver to power them.....if thats indeed the case.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TeleMan2920
    edited November 2012
    Options
    First of all thanks for all of your suggestions and I will address them all, but it may not be tonite. Sorry!

TeleMan2920
  • TeleMan2920
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    If you can solder, it's easy to replace the resistors yourself and get them running again.

I thought of doing that, but there is really nothing to solder to. It is pretty much burned right through, just a thin crust of black.
  • TeleMan2920
    edited November 2012
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    The tweeter may be fried as well. Have you checked the continuity of all the drivers?

The tweeter is fine, or at least it worked when I checked tried it in the other speaker. That was my first step and no I haven't checked the rest of the drivers.
    anonymouse wrote: »
    What amp are you using? That is most likely the root cause of your problems.

Yeah I was thinking that now too, as I said, they were out of my league and knowledge. Just running off of Sony receiver and thought it would be fine since they weren't going to be blasting! Not the case I guess!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I thought of doing that, but there is really nothing to solder to. It is pretty much burned right through, just a thin crust of black.
    The next component in the chain. See the schematic.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have some of those resistors laying around (Dayton 10 watt)

Ship them to me, I do it for free (for the price of shipping!)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited November 2012
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Now that's why this place is so great!
  • TeleMan2920
    edited December 2012
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Wow... really?? Unbelievable generosity VR3!! Only a fool would not accept an offer like this and I feel it would be an insult to you if were to say no, as well!!

So since I'm new to all of this... how do I need to ship them and how do I get your shipping address, etc?

Thanks so much!!
  • TeleMan2920
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Just wanted to give all the thanks I can to all of you for your knowledge, help and guidance.

An amazing place this is!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk TeleMan!

Now you can focus on saving money for an amplifier, providing your Sony has preouts to hook it up to. If not, you will have to replace the receiver first then get an amp.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Email me vr3mods@gmail.com

thanks!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TeleMan2920
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Thanks much... will do!
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited December 2012
    Options
    NO! DON'T DO IT! Do not let him repair your crossovers!

What you REALLY want is his full upgrade, I hear they get rave reviews for parts/build quality AND sound quality. :razz:

Check him out:
    http://www.vr3mods.com/FortressLSi9.php
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    How did all this turn out?
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,339
    Options
    It is an old post. Are you having a similar issue?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hello @skrol ,,no issue here , i was just browsing a few threads and wondered how was the outcome with the lsi15? .Trey is currently doing a couple mods for myself and i couldn't stop noticing from other threads and club members that Vr3 always goes out of his way for people and i thought to myself what a nice fellow he is!
    Thanks for asking .
    Cheers