Favorite Jet Fighter?

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited July 2012
    What, no love for the F-22?
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2012
    What, no love for the F-22?

Pics!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited July 2012
    I think one of the greatest aircraft,that never was, was the Avro Aero. It was never fully developed. Here is a link to some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-105_Arrow

Thanks for the reminder about this movie......had to pay $23,but I found it on ebay.....even after stealing the info on the avro,it still took the soviets more than 10 yrs before they produced it's clone....the Mig-25.....the story of the arrow reminded me of another forgotten genius,Nikola Tesla....little known factoid for all us tube geeks.Tesla invented the vacuum tube amplifier:wink:
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2012
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Pics!

F22 Raptor:

F-22_4018.jpg

800px-F-22_Raptor_Andrews_Air-force_Base.jpg

750px-Two_F-22A_Raptor_in_column_flight_-_%28Noise_reduced%29.jpg

763px-Two_F-22_Raptor_in_flying.jpg

f22-raptor-maintinance.jpg
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,526
    edited July 2012
    Isn't the F-22 the one with the wonky oxygen system?
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Isn't the F-22 the one with the wonky oxygen system?

That's what I've read.

And wasn't production halted, too?

Its air to air mission was intended to maintain superiority over the latest gen of Soviet and Chinese fighters, but these have been 'delayed' so current gen US fighters have been argued as 'sufficient'.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited July 2012
    No love for the Mig and its tubes?

mig25_02.jpg
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2012
    aka "the Lead Sled" :lol: But it did its role...

Bet your **** it did its role, and a few other airplanes too. There isn't an aircraft mentioned on this thread that will outrun that "Lead Sled" on the deck. There isn't an aircraft that you can mention that will, to this day.

The two seaters were early trainer "F" models, one of those two pictured no doubt being converted to Weasel "G" model over time. The one in the background is a "D" model.

I saw those Swedish jobs in Denmark. Sharp looking.
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2012
    And wasn't production halted, too?

Yep. The last one rolled off the line last year.

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    Bet your **** it did its role, and a few other airplanes too. There isn't an aircraft mentioned on this thread that will outrun that "Lead Sled" on the deck. There isn't an aircraft that you can mention that will, to this day.

The two seaters were early trainer "F" models, those two pictured no doubt being converted to Weasel "G" models over time.

I saw those Swedish jobs in Denmark. Sharp looking.

True, but if it lost power it fell out of the sky like a shot duck.

And point it down and it fell like a heavy lawn dart.

Just a gentle jab at calling the F-86 a 'pig' :wink:

• onebadchad
    onebadchad Posts: 364
    edited July 2012
    WE have an air force base and reserve out here.. the A-10 (wart Hog) is pretty bad ****. I know its not really a fighter, but a cool jet.. they do low flying high speed maneuvers over the lake next to my house all the time
    Hello Kitty am/fm CD player
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,526
    edited July 2012
    Susan & I were driving down a back, back road in New Hampshire once a few years back, when an A-10 flew over, low and fast. What a ruckus! :-)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2012
    ALL those airplanes -84, -86, 89, all the way to the -104 were pigs. If it was hot & humid, you could drive those things down the runway all day and maybe not go flying.

The -105 glide ratio isn't much worst than an -86, and probably not real far from an F-4.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2012
    Not really a fighter or American, but I always have a soft spot for the Harrier....

Harrier_fireing_lg_ok.jpg
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited July 2012
    Great link, thanks!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    edited July 2012
    Friends Brother was one of the last pilots to fly the Tomcat.
    085.jpg
    Dice at 52K.jpg
    Cockpit-1b.jpg
    edited July 2012
    civilian wrote: »
    Friends Brother was one of the last pilots to fly the Tomcat.
    085.jpg
    Dice at 52K.jpg
    Cockpit-1b.jpg

Cruzing at a comfy 34,000ft...
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited February 2013
    Sukhoi SU-27 and its famous cobra maneuver. SU-37 too.

THIS is sexy:
    Sukhoi+Su-27+Russian+Knights.jpg

5_11-09-07.jpg

S-37 Berkut:
    sukhoi_s37_berkut_l2.jpg
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2013
    Tomcat motto. 'Anytime Baby' going back a bit on this one...the ME262! The one that started it all! Has a profile like a great white shark....deadly!
  • zingo
    edited February 2013
    I still like the The F-117 Nighthawk and its radar signature of about 0.269 sq ft.

800px-F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg
  • dscheer
    dscheer Posts: 47
    edited February 2013
    I have great memories of the F4-Phantom...As mentioned before, took alot to maintain, but a real work horse. Alos an interesting (USSR) aircraft was the "Foxbat" (Sorry I have no Photos) Just typein Foxbat on the web. The Foxbat was BIG Bulky but for it's time, Looked awsome. As other soviet aircraft, most of it's electical systems used Vacuum tubes (No Solid state) Tubes were thought to be less vunerable to Atomic Blast Hash. I also like the Warthog....Mean machine.
    Donto's System:
    Parasound HCA3500
    Parasound HCA 1500a (4 each)
    DIY Set Tube Amps (4 each)
    Parasound 850 Pre-Amp
    Onkyo CD Player
    Teac Tape Play/Recorder
    Samsung 50" TV
    Toshiba HD DVD Play/Recorder
    Polk RTA12C Speakers
    DIY 15" Side-Firing Subwoofers (2 ea)
    DIY 15" Down-Firing Subwoofer
    Adcom Power Conditioner
    DIY Isolation Transformers/Power Conditioner
    4 ea 20 Amp Power Circuits
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited February 2013
    Here are a few of my favorite aviation pictures.

Sorry, but I can not get them to load as full size pictures. Plus, some even loaded twice.

Visual-Inspiration-743-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-578-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-64-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-389-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-39-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-3-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-743-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-578-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-64-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-389-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-39-@-GenCept.jpg
    Visual-Inspiration-3-@-GenCept.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,325
    edited February 2013
    The Colonial Viper MkII would slap the x-wing from the heaven like target drones.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Erik Tracy
    edited February 2013
    Hey - start you own thread! :cheesygrin:

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,568
    edited February 2013
    I still remember the F-105 'Thud' model airplane that I built about 35+ years ago. Still my favorite. Classic lines.

The 104 Starfighter is a close second though, an engine with wings!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited February 2013
    Not really a fighter, but I gotta love the SR-71.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2013
    I'm kinda partial to the F-4,,,,as far as fixed wing goes,, rotary-- Cobra,, you had to be there to appreciate.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited February 2013
    For me it's the Avro Arrow due to country of origin,and my Dad was an Avro employee during the time of it's development.(though he did not work on it directly).2nd place is a tie between the F16 and the CF 5.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited February 2013
    F-Ups - demonstrating a sloppy touch-and-go!

jets.2.jpg
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited February 2013
    My favorites are the SR-71 (I know not a fighter but still...) and the F-15. I was doing work at Tyndal AFB when they where putting the F-22 throught the paces. I've got to say that was one impressive aircraft. I saw it do things I wouldn't believe if I hadn't of seen it through my own two eyes. I really hope they can get a grip on it's issues.

My dad was a crew chief in the Air Force and worked on F-86s, F-94s, F-100s, F-101s, F-104s, F-105s, and F-106s. He loved all of those but always seemed to speak of the F-105 as his favorite.