Favorite Jet Fighter?

Comments

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2012
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Proud salute to your dad for his service!!

My dad flew the F-86 in the Korean 'conflict'...so maybe that explains my favorite.

Ah...Nellis....just outside of Vegas baby!

Spent many weeks at Nellis.....Red Flag!

Used to work for a company that installed the air combat training system there - got to spend lots of time on the flight line watching the jets take off!

Home of the Thunderbirds!

Thank you sir; I'll happily pass that along to him on this most appropriate day. And hats off to your dad as well. Love the older ****-kickers like the F-86!

Nellis was a GREAT place to be stationed for a kid who was a "jet junky". I spent some time hanging around hangars there (with dad of course), and got to sit in a (parked) Thunderbird once as well. I still miss living on base, and hearing planes taking off all day and night.

And yea, I was completely biased, but I always thought Red Flag was the stuff.......even more so than Top Gun (I was a biased kid :) )
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited July 2012
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Thank you sir; I'll happily pass that along to him on this most appropriate day.

Nellis was a GREAT place to be stationed for a kid who was a "jet junky". I spent some time hanging around hangars there (with dad of course), and got to sit in a (parked) Thunderbird once as well. I still miss living on base, and hearing planes taking off all day and night.

And yea, I was completely biased, but I always thought Red Flag was the stuff.......even more so than Top Gun (I was a biased kid :) )

You tell your dad thanks for all of us!

I remember trying to sleep in the Super8 next to Nellis and hearing F-16s and F-15s taking off on FULL afterburners...opening the hotel room door and confirming that yup....hot blue flames in the tails and steep angle of takeoff.

Red Flag(AF)...Top Gun(Navy)...been there...helped out as I could.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2012
    And thanks to both you and your dad for serving Erik. That's why we're celebrating today; people like you guys.

I'll leave you with this dandy from an SR-71 pilot:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-vetscor/1981814/posts
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2012
    I just love Jet Fighters.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,314
    edited July 2012
    The T-38 and it's progeny have given us the F/A-18, the Tigershark, and a couple other great aircraft. Lets not forget the forward-swept wing X-29.
    X-29-Experimental-Concept-Airplane-1-37QNR5DIUZ-1024x768.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    The roar and crackling of a jet in afterburners....sounds like....FREEDOM to me! :cheesygrin:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited July 2012
    I once saw a great documentary about the early days of jet fighters over the skies of S.E. Asia. Technology sure has progressed since those days !!
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    Freedom Baby!!!

f14471.jpg

1096711.jpg

f_4_phantom_ii_going_full_afterburner_at_sundown_by_jamestayloranime-d52jfsz.jpg

How did that get here???
    6a00d83451b8f869e2013485a19a65970c-800wi

Happy 4th of July!!!

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    Ah...the 'widow maker' the F-101 Starfighter.

Sleek, but not very stable...if you believe the writeups.

My bad...this was the F-104.

The F-101 was the "Voodoo"

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,502
    edited July 2012
    you are correct, sir.
    And, yes, the F-104 had a bad reputation. It was basically a big-butt engine with some streamlining wrapped around it.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2012
    Not a fighter but this is a remarkable aircraft.
    Mach 3 speeds!:eek:

B-1_pensacola_show.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2012
    Always have a soft spot for the Avro Arrow

Arrow_01.jpg

"The Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow was arguably the most advanced fighter aircraft in the world in the late 1950s. It was a technological masterpiece that would have been the most capable aircraft to have ever defended Canadian airspace. Yet just one year after its first flight the entire Arrow project was literally scrapped in what ranks as one of the most misguided and short sighted political decisions in the history of aviation."
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited July 2012
    +1 for the Avro. Interesting movie about it called the Arrow with Dan Akroyd. Its a shame what happened.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited July 2012
    pepster wrote: »

B-1_pensacola_show.jpg

Awesome aircraft, but not Mach 3 capable. The original B-1 Lancer was rated at or near mach 2 but the program went thru some changes and lost some velocity. Only the SR-71 and it's similar types were mach 3 machines (that we know of).

The most awesome aircraft display I ever saw was of a Boeing B-1 bomber doing a short field takeoff and pulling full verticle while accelerating until it was out of sight. Truly kick **** machine!
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited July 2012
    You mean the A-10 "warthog"? :cheesygrin:

And the awe inspiring M61 Vulcan 'gatling' gun firing depleted uranium rounds?

Rockin'!!!

070424-F-4192W-111.jpg
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2012
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    pepster wrote: »

B-1_pensacola_show.jpg

Awesome aircraft, but not Mach 3 capable. The original B-1 Lancer was rated at or near mach 2 but the program went thru some changes and lost some velocity. Only the SR-71 and it's similar types were mach 3 machines (that we know of).

The most awesome aircraft display I ever saw was of a Boeing B-1 bomber doing a short field takeoff and pulling full verticle while accelerating until it was out of sight. Truly kick **** machine!

Oops, your right, I was reading up on the XB-70 Valkyrie, and posted its speed by accident.:confused:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,114
    edited July 2012
    Another classic.. The YF-12a, Most forget that before the Blackbird went dark, she was a fighter jet.:cheesygrin:Attachment not found.

That "Black Bird" was my choice ! Love its style and capabilities !!!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,314
    edited July 2012
    I worked around a few Phantoms, and still have the scars to show for it. They were a dirty bird, and the landing gear doors and drain tubes off her belly peeled more than a few scalps and elbows. Blood, sweat, tears and a lot more blood went into keeping them damn things in the air, and lets's not forget the miles of safety-wiring just to make sure it didn't shake apart in-flight.

Also lost a friend to a QF-4 variant at Poing Mugu, so no love for that effin' pig from me.:mad:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited July 2012
    My favorite is easily the F-15. Still a relavant fighter to this day. It's very fast, very manuverable and can carry a very large payload. Great fighter!

Air-Power-F-15-Eagle-3.jpg
    f-15_eagle_02.jpg
    f-15e-eagle-sonic-boom.jpg
    F15PullingVapor.jpg
    F-15.jpg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited July 2012
    That is why they were called the widow maker. It's the first aircraft to hold speed and altitude records at the same time. By the way its designation was F-104.
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited July 2012
    I think one of the greatest aircraft,that never was, was the Avro Aero. It was never fully developed. Here is a link to some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-105_Arrow
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited July 2012

I was at an airshow at the Barnes AFB years ago. The B1 was gearing up and ended up tearing up the end of the runway with the power coming out of its hind quarter.

Same show they had A-10's doing displays with pyrotechnics showing how they perform air to ground attacks. Quite awesome.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dkr919
    dkr919 Posts: 379
    edited July 2012
    You mean the A-10 "warthog"? :cheesygrin:

And the awe inspiring M61 Vulcan 'gatling' gun firing depleted uranium rounds?

Rockin'!!!

a10_7.jpg
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited July 2012
    Based on what I've flown (in Desert Combat), the Dassault Mirage F-1.

65613_big.jpg

59830_big.jpg

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2012
    Look at all the dents in the nose of the A-10 from half-blind, little kid boom operators!

The -104 and the F-16 "sports models" will fly rings around that underpowered pig F-86, and the -100 also. -100's were the first probe and drogue aircraft I ever refueled. You just can't believe how small a -104 is, and how low to the ground it sits. Problems with that airplane were mainly during take-off and landing. That high "T" tail didn't work real well if the air coming at it was disrupted by the nose of the aircraft.

My hat goes to the "Thud", the fastest and largest fighter-bomber ever to see the light of day. The Thud drivers in Viet Nam were nothing short of magnificent.
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited July 2012
    Here's an interesting page for all of you A-10 fans out there:

http://www.daveweinbaum.com/A10.html
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 13
    edited July 2012
    f35-6.jpeg

The F35 in hover mode.

I know an f18 pilot, and talked to him about the F35... he said that will probably be the last manned fighter jet, from there on out it's all drone all the time.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited July 2012
    Favorite Jet Fighter: F-104 Starfighter,
    Honorable Mention: A-10 Warthog, That Gatling gun is freakin awesome.

Favorite Jet All time: SR-71 Blackbird

Favorite Prop Fighter: P-51 Mustang
    Honorable Mention: Supermarine Spitfire Mark VIII
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,502
    edited July 2012
    Seeing the Avro Arrow and the Dassault Mirage, I feel compelled to mention this lissome duo:

SAAB Viggen and Draken:

viggrip.jpg
    http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/aircraft-pictures/viggrip.jpg

Saab_Draken.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Saab_Draken.jpg

... and for Mr. Grand's dining & dancing pleasure, a Thud (OK, two Thuds)...

800px-F-105_Thunderchiefs_Mt_Fuji.jpg
    http://img.over-blog.com/600x394/2/02/70/42/avions/F-105-THUNDERCHIEF/800px-F-105_Thunderchiefs_Mt_Fuji.jpg
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... and for Mr. Grand's dining & dancing pleasure, a Thud (OK, two Thuds)...

800px-F-105_Thunderchiefs_Mt_Fuji.jpg
    http://img.over-blog.com/600x394/2/02/70/42/avions/F-105-THUNDERCHIEF/800px-F-105_Thunderchiefs_Mt_Fuji.jpg

aka "the Lead Sled" :lol:

But it did its role...