Favorite Jet Fighter?

Erik Tracy
Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
edited February 2013 in The Clubhouse
Got a favorite jet fighter that has lines and that look you love?

Mine is the F-86...'Last of the Sports Model'

F86s.jpg

f86-524959-b.jpg

north-american-f-86-sabre-wallpapers_17328_1024x768.jpg

PA_F86_F_0030_W.jpg

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
Post edited by Erik Tracy on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,325
    edited July 2012
    The Hornets of VMFA-122 will always have a place in my heart...
    vmfa122.jpg

Now if you had asked about prop-jobs...
    corsair.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Ah...the 'widow maker' the F-101 Starfighter.

Sleek, but not very stable...if you believe the writeups.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited July 2012
    F-14 "Tomcat"

f141.png
    f142.jpg
    f143.jpg
    f145.jpg
    f146.jpg
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Pic number 4 is an F-15 Eagle Decal...:lol:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    decal wrote: »
    F-14 "Tomcat"

f141.png
    f142.jpg
    f143.jpg
    f145.jpg
    f146.jpg

Able to deploy the Phoenix AAM....but so damn big!

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2012
    For nostalgia sake, I have to go with the F4 Phantom, since I repaired it's fire control radar while in the Navy.

F4-Phantom.jpg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    The Hornets of VMFA-122 will always have a place in my heart...
    vmfa122.jpg

Now if you had asked about prop-jobs...
    corsair.jpg

Had a job at Pax River waayy back when the F-18's were coming on-line - got to sit in the cockpit and work the avionics during testing.

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    For nostalgia sake, I have to go with the F4 Phantom, since I repaired it's fire control radar while in the Navy.

F4-Phantom.jpg

"Pigs in Space!!!" :cheesygrin:

Strap a jet to a brick and it'll fly....

• nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Had a job at Pax River waayy back when the F-18's were coming on-line - got to sit in the cockpit and work the avionics during testing.

I got a backseat ride in a F/A-18b when my squadron was being transitioned. To this day, the very best(and worst) ride of my life. Took a couple hours to clean up the mess!:mrgreen: The best part after the take-off roll was getting about 15 minutes with my hand on the stick.:cheesygrin: Never will forget that as long as I live.

• nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Able to deploy the Phoenix AAM....but so damn big!

That's not a Tomcat in that shot... No doubt it is an Eagle, and the missile is a sparrow.

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2012
    There is an Air Force base about 40 miles from where I live.
    I can remember when I was younger passing bye and seeing all the Super Sabres lined up.
    Man they were LOUD!
    I always thought the front of the F-100's looked cool.
    They had some performance also.

f02b863e140ffb7db561e679a5489b12.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    I got a backseat ride in a F/A-18b when my squadron was being transitioned. To this day, the very best(and worst) ride of my life. Took a couple hours to clean up the mess!:mrgreen: The best part after the take-off roll was geting about 15 minutes with my hand on the stick.:cheesygrin: Never will forget that as long as I live.

****....:evil:

I was the target of attempted recruitment as a green GS summer hire by the stationed pilots at Pax - almost got a ride in an A-7 but it fell thru.....they did take me to the O club and got me pukin' drunk on several occassions to their amusement though...

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    pepster wrote: »
    There is an Air Force base about 40 miles from where I live.
    I can remember when I was younger passing bye and seeing all the Super Sabres lined up.
    Man they were LOUD!
    I always thought the front of the F-100's looked cool.
    They had some performance also.

f02b863e140ffb7db561e679a5489b12.jpg

Oooh! The Super Sabre! Nice.

Saw them once as the AF Thunderbirds!

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    That's not a Tomcat in that shot... No doubt it is an Eagle, and the missile is a sparrow.

This one, right?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=72475&d=1341438746

Good catch!

• nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Another classic.. The YF-12a, Most forget that before the Blackbird went dark, she was a fighter jet.:cheesygrin:
    yf12.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2012
    Strap a jet to a brick and it'll fly....

Doesn't glide very well though. :lol:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    aka the A-12....

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Doesn't glide very well though. :lol:

Who needs to glide when you have two GE J-79s? It's all about the thrust baby!

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited July 2012
    Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited July 2012
    My favorite craft is a special bomber that could, if needed, fight off the fighters of the day !:cheesygrin: I go to Virginia at least once a year to visit Enola.

enola-gay_mammoth-b-29.jpg
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    gdb wrote: »
    My favorite craft is a special bomber that could, if needed, fight off the fighters of the day !:cheesygrin: I go to Virginia at least once a year to visit Enola.

Not technically a 'fighter' or a 'jet'...but....she's pretty and important!

• nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    gdb wrote: »

The B-29's only effective defense from fighter attack was to fly 15,000 feet above them. The radio-controlled turrets could lay down some impressive fire, but couldn't track a moving aircraft as effectively as a trained gunning crew could.

I tip my hat to your selection however, as the Superfort's could deliver the fireworks. The -29's also ushered in technology that lay the foundations of modern air travel and combat jets, including service as in-flight refueling platforms for the first jets and the 707's pressurized cabins that would come a decade later.

Happy 4th!

• Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    My under-dog favorite is the F-20 "Tigershark".

41363_38625.jpg

Sleek...built on the proven F-5/T-38 platform...very capable.

Too bad it never really 'took off'...

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2012
    F-16 Fighting Falcon for the win, followed closely by a nostalgic vote for the F-4 Phantom. My dad worked on F-4's during 2 tours in Thailand during Vietnam, hence my love for them. I think his F-4 got his squadron's lone mig kill during his second tour.

We were stationed at Nellis in the early 80's, as my dad was an instructor for F-16 mechanics during that time. The Thunderbirds were already flying F-16's by then, so I got to see them a good bit during those 4 years. What an amazing jet to watch perform. Still gives me chills thinking about it....

Great thread Erik, I'm geeking out on all the great answers here!

F-16:

f16_shooting_harm.jpg
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2012
    And interesting choice with the F-20 Erik. I've still got a framed picture somewhere from Northrop that my dad gave me back in the early 80's.

My personal favorite was a picture of the U-2/TR-1 pilot in his suit, walking to plane with the slogan "At 60,000 feet this pilot stands alone."
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    jflail2 wrote: »
    F-16 Fighting Falcon for the win, followed closely by a nostalgic vote for the F-4 Phantom. My dad worked on F-4's during 2 tours in Thailand during Vietnam, hence my love for them. I think his F-4 got his squadron's lone mig kill during his second tour.

We were stationed at Nellis in the early 80's, as my dad was an instructor for F-16 mechanics during that time. The Thunderbirds were already flying F-16's by then, so I got to see them a good bit during those 4 years. What an amazing jet to watch perform. Still gives me chills thinking about it....

Great thread Erik, I'm geeking out on all the great answers here!

F-16:

f16_shooting_harm.jpg

Proud salute to your dad for his service!!

My dad flew the F-86 in the Korean 'conflict'...so maybe that explains my favorite.

Ah...Nellis....just outside of Vegas baby!

Spent many weeks at Nellis.....Red Flag!

Used to work for a company that installed the air combat training system there - got to spend lots of time on the flight line watching the jets take off!

Home of the Thunderbirds!

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited July 2012
    Not really a fighter but the Thunderbolt II is one of my favorites! Low and slow for ground suppurt but also armed for air-to-air.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2012
    Got the traditional Independence Day flyover by the local F-15 Eagle pilots this morning as a part of their annual buzzing of various regional parades. Good stuff!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Erik Tracy
    edited July 2012
    zane77 wrote: »
    Not really a fighter but the Thunderbolt II is one of my favorites! Low and slow for ground suppurt but also armed for air-to-air.

You mean the A-10 "warthog"? :cheesygrin:

And the awe inspiring M61 Vulcan 'gatling' gun firing depleted uranium rounds?

Rockin'!!!