'Entry Level' DAC Comparison - Results

Options
124»

Comments

• Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I want mostly the EE for it's SS, although there seems to be a consensus that the Psvane 12AX7 (?) is the way to go on this unit if you are into tube rolling. I am only interested in USB. I hear that the EE is pretty good with that. Most EE owners, at least on the original, agree that pulling the tube out gets the best sound. Although, I think I've read that the new one, the DAC PLUS, is much superior on the tube circuit compared to the original EE.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The Psvane really isn't that special. But I was completely thinking of a different piece for some reason I had a brain **** and was picturing the tube pre-amp.

Carry on

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Devlon
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Or is that "Roll On" lol. H9, since you have a Keces too, I just wanted to tell you that with my Crown XLS1500 power amp the Keces can becomes a pre-amp. Back last August I had an opportunity to sit down and drink a beer with Andrew Robinson of Home Theater Magazine. I was surprised to find out that he uses Crown Drive Core XLS series pro amps to power the Pendragons that he ownsAnd as you might imagine, Andrew has owned about every power amp imaginable. Well, I ended up with one and it really is an awesome amp. Recently, when a/bing the W4S DAC 2 with the Keces, I would have to turn my receiver's volume down about -20 clicks to match the output of the Keces with that of the DAC 2. This got me to thinking about the Keces being able to drive a power amp. One of the beauties of the Crown is external dual volume controls. I plugged the Keces directly into the Crown and wow! It worked very well. It's a little bit of a hassle to control the volume manually on the power amp, but to me it's not really that big of a deal. Bottom line.....I'm both amazed and kinda blown away by discovering this. I've focused on the DAC shootout thing right now. Hopefully later I will get the time to A/B the Keces direct to amp vs Sherwood then to amp. The Keces is still continuing to impress! It can make a great preamp with the right power amp like this.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2013
    Options
    How about a little review of your observations between the Keces and W4S.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Devlon
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hey Tony that is coming. But I want to trade or sell the W4S first. You'll see why in my review.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just curious my friend, what are you using as a source for the tunes ? CDP, Computer, PS3, BDP ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Discount DAAAAABLE check? LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,972
    Options
    Just bumping a great reference thread.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Thanks for the bump rooftop! I've been looking into getting my feet wet on this new to me technology.
  • rooftop59
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I took ME a long time before purchasing a DAC, because like cables it seems like a lot of money to spend on something that isn't either the source, receiver/amplifier, and speakers (and I am a cheapskate). But really for the price something like the peachtree dac-it, the arcam rdac, or other similar products used, its really a great purchase. The difference is NOT subtle. Its no different than picking up a better amp or pair of speakers. You will be very pleased...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Agreed Skip. It's just that I never realized just how crappy most mass-market sources are, including bdps, cdps, computers, digital servers, etc. For those of us how limit the cost of those sources, a budget DAC can make a huge improvement imho...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • heiney9
    Options
    It all matters. To say one thing in the chain is more important is a little short sighted. Synergy among all pieces is the key.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    In my 35 years in this hobby, it all matters right down to the cables.
  • jb5200
    jb5200 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wonder how the Emotiva DAC's would compare?
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am a fan of the AKM, its the DAC in my squeeze box and it sounds awesome.
    I think anyone with B&W speakers should check out the AKM DACs, they sound good together.

I like my Music Streamer II DAC too. I use this whenever I use my apple computer to play music. Sometimes I use it a lot and sometimes it just sits around.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma