Home Theater VS The Cinema (big chain theaters)

Options
tommyt21
tommyt21 Posts: 685
edited June 2012 in The Clubhouse
I always believed the coventional wisdom was that going out to watch a flick in the Theater was ideal and that when building a home theater the goal was to get as close to the theater experince as possible.

This weekend my wife and I and our children went to the movies to watch Madigascar 3. We had not gone to a movie in almost 2 years we always just wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray and watch it at home. We wish we had just waited for Blu-Ray release. Besides the comforts of watching movies at home, (like your own restroom). The actual experince of sound and picture were not near as good as my home system(IMHO). I was thinking the whole time as I was watching the movie about how washed out the picture was and how crappy the surround was. When my wife made the same comment at the end of the movie I knew it must be true.

I'm pretty proud of my system and am always looking for ways to go further down the rabbit hole, however I am very pleased at how I feel my system compares to the big boys( talkin bout you Regal).

Has anyone else felt this way about their own home theater system?
Living Room
Fronts: RTi A7's
Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
Front Heights: Rti A1
Surrounds: Rti A3
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
Post edited by tommyt21 on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Mine is no where near high end......we went to see transformer revenge of the fallen, and I was disappointing by the sound. It just had a lot of mids, sub bass was non existent. Pq was fine though.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,143
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Being able to hit pause for a restroom or snack break rocks
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,207
    edited June 2012
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Being able to hit pause for a restroom or snack break rocks

The pause button also pulls you away from the director's original intent of the film, and breaks up the continuity of the story arc. You may as well wait for it to come to network television at that point so you get the commercial breaks too.:lol::wink::cheesygrin:

Agreed with the rest. I find that watching a film is far more intimate and engaging (when your system is done right), at home. The Magnepan MG-20's do a far better job of bringing the sweeping scores of an epic film to life than any theater. I find it hard to listen to the sound in a conventional theater any more. My rig does ok for picture quality, but I do know that this is the weak link for me going forward. I will go with a 3d projector when we move into our house, and keep the flat panels for regular tv viewing.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,143
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The pause button also pulls you away from the director's original intent of the film, and breaks up the continuity of the story arc. You may as well wait for it to come to network television at that point so you get the commercial breaks too.:lol::wink::cheesygrin:

What breaks up continuity is when your kid or grand kid is doing the "wee-wee wiggle" in the best part of the movie after downing a mega soda:evil:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I really don't enjoy going to the theater anymore, they aren't very clean, picture and sound quality so-so. For the cost of two of us going to the movies I can buy the Bluray and watch it as many times as I want or share it with someone who hasn't seen it yet. I think I've got my system where I want it but would like to upgrade the subs.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2012
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    What breaks up continuity is when your kid or grand kid is doing the "wee-wee wiggle" in the best part of the movie after downing a mega soda:evil:

LMAO!!!:cheesygrin:

Yep... nothing like missing a climactic cinema moment because you have to make a dash for the loo.:mrgreen:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • playback
    playback Posts: 101
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I would say it all depends and most likely a toss up at times. I visit my local cinema every two to three years and only to see Imax movies (the system warm up is killer) Then again after playing it at home, its just as good. Hopefully the new Dolby "Atmos" and movies shot in 4k or 8k will rekindle some love but as it stands I'll give the nudge to my setup:mrgreen:
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Another vote for staying home and enjoying my HT system. However, I'll pretty much wait till the wimmen go somewhere before turning it up to where I like to watch movies at.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I only go to the cinema when I must see a movie. I do find that for best sound and 3D brightness its best to wait till a movie gets shown on the smaller theaters. That said any commercial movie theater wont be able to touch my system. In theaters they are only allowed to legally dim the theater so much and they have never been able to solve the brightness to contrast ratio problem
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,568
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The cost of going, especially if you buy a drink or snack, isn't cheap.
    It pays for a couple months of netflix.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The big chains are terrible IMO. They have a great independent theatre here. Serve beer, giant screen, real popped popcorn with butter. Worth a half hour drive to see classic movies projected in 70mm. '' Lawrence of Arabia '' '' Aliens '' '' Apocolypse Now ''. Otherwise i'll just stay home and watch with a few exceptions.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Other than IMAX, I have no use for the theaters....
    The only thing I've ever seen in IMAX, was a doc. on the Blue Angels and naval aviation. Some of the camera shots, were so intense, I actually had to grip my arm rests.
    There was one in particular, that sticks in my mind: The camera is mounted on the belly of the plane, and they're landing on a carrier.
    My whole body locked up, bracing for impact.:eek::lol:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • emoxley
    emoxley Posts: 205
    edited June 2012
    Options
    My system at home sounds much better than the theater. Last time we went to a local theater (about 3 yrs. ago), I was ready to make a kid eat his cell phone! There's one decent theater we've found, but it's about two hours away. We saw the LOTR Trilogy there, and it was good. The best sound of all the theaters we've been to, except the Imax. Even better than others that the same company owns. I let the company know it too. The only reason we go to the theater any more is because we want to see the movie on the huge screen. Return of the King was the last one we saw. The next one will be The Hobbit, around Christmas time. Next after that will be the second Hobbit movie, a year later.

I'm not counting the Imax in with the theaters. They don't compare. The Imax is nice! We saw Avatar in 3-D at the Imax. It was outstanding! We saw Alice in Wonderland there too, in 3-D. It was good, but the 3-D in Avatar was a lot better. We could actually hear surround effects in the Imax. Not at the other theaters though, even though they advertised Dolby and/or DTS surround.
    Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,741
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I have 7 theaters within a 5 mile radius of my house. 5 of those theaters have the majority of their screens in theaters with the latest and greatest sound and video equipment. The other two are artsy type of theaters.

I have no idea what you theater haters are talking about.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Went to see Prometheus on Friday night in IMAX 3D. IMO that sort of experience cannot be replicated at home no matter how advanced your HT is. I rarely go to the movies, so $30 (gotta take the GF too) is perfectly acceptable to mefor the experience you get. I also find that people who have fronted more money are generally really into whatever movie they are seeing and are thus less likely to talk, have screaming children with them or talk on their phones.

BTW, Prometheus might not be the most well written movie but the visual effects were :biggrin:
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I have no idea what you theater haters are talking about.

Thats because you don't have a proper HT of your own yet. Maybe once you do you will have similar findings. It does not matter if theaters have the latest video equipment because they legally cant black out the environment and the commercial projectors cant touch the HT ones for punchy vibrant contrast. My speakers in my room are better than the theater. I would not say I'm a theater hater, I would say I know true value and don,t think its worth spending $75 to go see a 3D movie with my nephews like I did last week
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,093
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I basically only go to Imax but our theaters around here are all up to date and basically new. They all sound excellent and have very good picture quality. I have no complaints when going except the high prices of a family night out. Even then it's not that bad , everyone is happy and it's a night out.

On a side note , our theaters around here like lots of wall cracking bass.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I am talking of course about standard cinema theater and not IMAX which is a different animal.
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • Jstas
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Thats because you don't have a proper HT of your own yet. Maybe once you do you will have similar findings. It does not matter if theaters have the latest video equipment because they legally cant black out the environment and the commercial projectors cant touch the HT ones for punchy vibrant contrast. My speakers in my room are better than the theater. I would not say I'm a theater hater, I would say I know true value and don,t think its worth spending $75 to go see a 3D movie with my nephews like I did last week

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Shut up, fool.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    edited June 2012
    Options
    because they legally cant black out the environment...

That would be so that people dont trip and fall... something you'd be familiar with :wink:. The theater cant keep replacing screens because people fall into them :razz:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I will take my HT over a theater for any movie. The sound is always better, and the recliner is more comfortable. A theater has two advantages. One is a bigger screen, and the other is you can look at the attractive women before the movie starts. However, neither of those advantages is worth the admission price.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I love my setup but movies like prometheus in the imax 3d like I saw today was well worth it. And wasn't everyone just raving about the avengers in 3d about a week ago? Somebody must be going to see movies if they keep making them for the theater :wink:
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options

Shut up, fool.

So I am a fool for stating facts and having an opinion on HT vs Cinema?
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited June 2012
    Options
    That said any commercial movie theater wont be able to touch my system.

I'd bet there system cost more than some folks house. Your system caters to 3 or so people while the theaters has to cater to hundreds.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited June 2012
    Options

Shut up, fool.

Nail, head. :loneranger:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2012
    Options

hurr-durr-derp-face-i-pity-teh-fool-who-durrrnt-eat-my-currreal.gif

I pity the FOOL that mess wit the Jstas!

• Jstas
    edited June 2012
    Options

What "facts" did you state?

'Cause all I saw was your assumptions about me and comments about the gear you assume I have that you know nothing about.

You're a fool because rather than keeping your mouth shut and letting everyone wonder, you opened your mouth and proved it.

Fool.

• Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Everything in moderation. My HT is nice, but I still enjoy going to the theater for films I really want to see. The theaters in my area are all fairly new and are very well built. Digital projectors in every one of them. Sound is almost always too loud for my sensitive ears, but I always have a set of musician's earplugs with me (keep them on my keychain) so it works out fine.

Usually though I only go when it's something I want to see in IMAX or 3D or both. Otherwise it's hard for me to justify the expense of going out vs. waiting for it on Netflix.

That said, if you missed Avatar in IMAX 3D at the movie theaters... I would equate that to missing Star Wars when it first hit theaters. It was epic. Unless you have an IMAX 3D projector at home, I don't care how nice your HT is, it just can't compare.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I'm kind of in Jstas camp here, but understand that it is because of this area. Cinemas are very competitive here and there are alot of them. they upgrade very often and there sound quality is pretty good (if its a new realease in one of the bigger theaters as opposed to the smaller ones in the same cinema)

I have a full LSi set up, so this is coming from a guy that i would say has a more than decent theater set up at home.

what makes me avoid the cinema unless its really a movie I want to see (recently the Avengers) is the people, the drive, the parking and what others here mentioned (not being able to pause, not comfort of own home)

that said, if its a good movie, sometimes a dinner and movie night with the wifey is in order and it does happen, home theater in my house that literally shake my home's brick facade be damned,

to me its not a debate, I have the option to do either and I do whatever my mood dictates. Options make for a happy life.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Although a conventional cinema sounds better than mine would catering to hundreds of people my speakers provide more clarity in a small enviroment. Same goes for the picture, a big cinema is way brighter than mine but in a small environment my setup would hammer the cinema for black levels and 3d viewing. These are the facts that I am making clear so if they are wrong then I am for sure a fool

Jstas you have been rood to me in many posts, Now if you got your lazy **** down to your basement and finished up your HT room then maybe you would feel differently about HT vs cinema? I am not making assumptions on your gear as you have already posted here before you have not gotten a pj and screen yet, neither am I saying your gear is not up to par?