Home Theater VS The Cinema (big chain theaters)

Options
2»

Comments

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Why are you people comparing Home theater systems which don't even come anywhere close to the budget spent on a commercial theater system? Apples to Oranges I would think?

I prefer to watch movies @ home. I never go to the theaters and I don't own a HT setup. But that doesn't change my preference. The HT will come eventually.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Drenis we are not comparing watts and projected lumens. We are comparing our personal listening and viewing experience with the perks that come from viewing at home...... better asspaper, and popcorn
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Our regular theater sucks, it's dingy and full of kids and sticky goo everywhere. They have old equipment and forget 3d anything. Our other theater is awesome but small and runs independent thought provoking films rather than action or popular films. So...my home system is the only theater I go too.
    Even in a big theater there is the perfect sweet spot where your field of vision is about 60 degrees or so, and the sound is optimum. Theater at home is like having the best seats in the house.
    I'll go to a movie if it's one of the new ones that really rock and can produce an experience better than mine. But since I'm busy and live far from other good theaters, I haven't been to one in years.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,223
    edited June 2012
    Options

We are comparing our personal listening and viewing experience with the perks that come from viewing at home...... better asspaper, and popcorn

Yep, that better a$$paper comes in handy when wiping the bs off your lips.:rolleyes:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Yep, that better a$$paper comes in handy when wiping the bs off your lips.:rolleyes:

BS? I don't go around making stuff up or pretending I am going to buy things all the time
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,912
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The last movie saw in theater was either Finding Nemo or that Jesus movie by Mel Gibson.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Love having a dedicated theater in my home. The huge screen( 126") is about the closest I can experience while at home. Looking forward to adding the Darbee Darblet Video enhancer to see how it adds to the performance of my JVC RS10. I agree with the OP, enjoy it bro.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,747
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Jstas you have been rood to me in many posts, Now if you got your lazy **** down to your basement and finished up your HT room then maybe you would feel differently about HT vs cinema? I am not making assumptions on your gear as you have already posted here before you have not gotten a pj and screen yet, neither am I saying your gear is not up to par?

Shut up, fool.

You need to seriously check yourself.

1.) I don't talk about my gear. The few things I have talked about are only the tip of the iceberg. Just because I don't talk about the "home theater" I have set up doesn't mean it isn't there.

b.) Who the hell do you think you are telling me to get off my lazy ****? Finish up my basement, that's rich! From some rotten crotch fruit that puts his person through a projector screen, breaks equipment and blames it on someone/something else and talks to me like he has a pair or an inkling of what's actually going on. If you could do half the stuff I've been doing in my basement, work a full time job that requires off-hours work on a regular basis while still managing to maintain a home and not go broke doing it, I might take some time out of my schedule to think about being impressed.

BTW, it's spelled "rude" and yes, I'm rude to you because you have been less than pleasant to me as well as many others here on more than one occasion. So I'm just treating you as you have treated others. You know, the golden rule and all that. I'm "rood" because I have an issue. I'm allergic to fools and I cannot suffer them in any way. So if I am "rood" to you it's because I know it will offend your sensibilities or lack thereof and you will limit your contact with me, just the way I like it. The only downside? You probably think I'm a jerk. But that doesn't matter to me so honestly, there is no downside!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    The last movie saw in theater was either Finding Nemo or that Jesus movie by Mel Gibson.

A movie that could pretty much be summed up as "The Flagellation of the Christ", and here is the painting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellation_of_Christ

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Until I can fit a 1000" screen in my living room the theatre will win out.

Plus I didn't get the official release of Avengers like the theatre did.

While I truly enjoy my HT setup and it almost always has better sound there is something to be said about a huge screen, Popcorn bucket, Soda so big you need three people to drink it all and the sounds and smells of a theatre. I can't match that at home.
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Well I had my pj last night hitting the screen @166" from 15 ft away and I would say I was more impressed than I was sitting half way in a commercial movie theater
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Well I had my pj last night hitting the screen @166" whilst sitting 15 ft away and I would say I was more impressed than I was sitting half way in a commercial movie theater
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Do you like arguing with people PFB. It's just my opinion. I am neither wrong no right it is just how I feel.

And sorry your 166"screen is no comparison to the average movie theatre. I am glad you enjoyed it though.

Now how was The Avengers on it? Oh that's right you don't have that yet.
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited June 2012
    Options
    How did this thread become an argument... Rhetorical question.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    Do you like arguing with people PFB. It's just my opinion. I am neither wrong no right it is just how I feel.

And sorry your 166"screen is no comparison to the average movie theatre. I am glad you enjoyed it though.

Now how was The Avengers on it? Oh that's right you don't have that yet.

Well although the Avengers is not even out yet I did go see it in a commercial cinema and I do feel qualified to make a comparison of the actual 3D effect on passive vs active. Last night I loaded up the epson 5010 and popped in 'Under The Sea' that I have used as a demo for friends and family many times. I skipped straight to the scene where the fish pops out the screen, I was expecting the usual.. flashing shutter glasses and kinda dim flickery holographic fish. This was not so, instead the presentation was a bright vibrant colorfully accurate fish that just lept out of the screen in a solid 3 dimentional fish that look like it belonged in my room and was actually a real entity. All the backgrounds looked beautiful with lots of real depth and pop pop pop. I burst out laughing and hollered at the wife" honey you have to come see this " she put on the glasses and was smiling and laughing too "oh my god that looks incredible" and it truely was. 3D is done right on the epson 5010 and there is no crappy flickering to make you know that your wearing shutter glasses. I also put on ' The Universe' and the blacks just hammered what a cinema can do, even in 2d the picture had great depth and color like a plasma tv

Try that with a commercial cinema, I am not arguing just stating a fact about a tech many have yet enjoy or just have not given it a chance. Many people here who do have the big screen at home prefer it for a very good reason, its simply awesome
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,223
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Well I had my pj last night hitting the screen @166" whilst sitting 15 ft away and I would say I was more impressed than I was sitting half way in a commercial movie theater

Sadly PFB.. not everyone is blessed with your considerable talents and skill, nor can anybody else on the planet afford to amass such a wonderous collection of gear as you have done. I guess you are the 1%.:rolleyes:

Perhaps you should go on over to the Mcintosh forum and show them the error of their ways, as clearly you are an HT GOD living among mere plebians ands mortals here at CP.

You GO GURL!:lol:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • polkfarmboy
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Sadly PFB.. not everyone is blessed with your considerable talents and skill, nor can anybody else on the planet afford to amass such a wonderous collection of gear as you have done. I guess you are the 1%.:rolleyes:

What are you talking about talents blahhhhhh? My gear is average and I had to put in extra hours to buy what I own. What collection are you talking about because all I have is a HT system and a sup par 2 ch tube setup. I never put others gear down and I always get excited when some one else finds a good deal or buys something cool. Quit trying to make out to be a ***k?

Folks here spend more on 2 channel cables and power cords. This is a forum where we come to discuss audio/video