The AMP project... the final chapter has begun.

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Well guys... I am out. I will try and update from my I-phone, but don't know how well that works.

See you guys next week sometime.

John
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Options
    End of day one here in Snohomish, so far. Amp 1 is on the bench and has had full current fed to it from the variac but no sound yet. I have done 6 hours worth of changes to the internals correcting things and making upgrades. The second should be much easier.

Bob is an incredible teacher, and it is ha honor to be learning all I can from him. I have been taking pictures and will post them when I can.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Glad you are finally making the final push to the end. Hope those first few moments of music are sweet to your ears. Looking forward to pics and hope you have a blast with Mr. Carver.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited July 2012
    Options
    That is so Kewl... elbow to elbow with the Man :)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Options
    End of day two and still no tunes. We had a defective input transformer that failed late last nite as we were getting ready to tune the first amp. Today was spend working a solution as there is no backup for the failed one, and getting the second amp ready for the bench first thing in the morning. I very happy that Bob has taken the time to show me how everything works and the troubleshooting steps he takes to solve issues as they arise. He then has me correct them and we move forward.

When these are done I will definitely be doing this again. I have never had so much fun on a project in my life.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Excellent John. I'm glad you are enjoying the project. You will (I'm sure) enjoy it even more when you hear the tunes from the amps.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Well gents, tonight at 9:30pm, after 26 hours of labor and two defective transformers, the first Carver Statement amplifier was born. It sings with 350 wpc@ 8ohms and weighs in at 63 pounds. Tommorow evening the second chassis should ba delivered by 9pm at the same specs. Frequency response was remarkably flat across the board, and Bob is very pleased with how this amp perform on the bench.

I cannot wait to hear them on the big ALS speakers upstairs in the listening lab.

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the update and glad things are going well. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited July 2012
    Options
    That has to be exciting. Met Bob at Axpona this year and his enthusiasm for what he does (and really loud music) was infectious to be around.
    Rick
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Glad to hear things are going well at the shop!

P.S. Clear out your PM box.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Congrats on the first one, good luck on the second.

Live large John, LIVE LARGE.

You always have.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Tonight I actually wept... The heavens opened and my ears were blessed with the sound of music coming from a vision two years in the making. Tonight nothing on the planet sounds better than these two glorious amplifiers. My thanks and gratitude to Mr Carver for his help, kindness and hospitality... and for helping me realize a dream. Pics will comes as soon as I get home

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Tonight I actually wept... The heavens opened and my ears were blessed with the sound of music coming from a vision two years in the making. Tonight nothing on the planet sounds better than these two glorious amplifiers. My thanks and gratitude to Mr Carver for his help, kindness and hospitality... and for helping me realize a dream. Pics will comes as soon as I get home

The Polk Bible: "NooshinJohn wept" :wink:..... not I will burn in Hades for that lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BeefJerky
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Congrats!

Do you have a tracking number for my amp yet? I would have sent you a PM on this, but your box is still full. :sad:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I don't have a tracker but I will get it today sometime. What Bob signed on top is priceless. I wish I knew how to check and delete my pm box fromm iPhone.

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited July 2012
    Options
    View it on the full website and not the mobile site and it's the same way as if you were at home.
  • BeefJerky
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I don't have a tracker but I will get it today sometime. What Bob signed on top is priceless. I wish I knew how to check and delete my pm box fromm iPhone.
    Thanks for the update John! I didn't even think that you might have that issue since I didn't even think that you might be accessing this site by phone. :cheesygrin: You can contact me direct via email; you should (hopefully) have my email address from the paypal payment.

I'm excited about getting it, that's for sure!
  • BeefJerky
    edited July 2012
    Options
    John, I went ahead and sent an email to the Paypal email address you gave me awhile back so that you would have my email address. Hopefully you received it...
  • BeefJerky
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Hey John, any updates?
  • Tony M
    edited July 2012
    Options
    He's still weeping...:razz:
  • BeefJerky
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    He's still weeping...:razz:
    Actually, I'm a bit concerned since I haven't heard anything from him since his last post in this thread. I hope he's okay, and just busy or something...
  • Tony M
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Keep an eye out for amps with granite base covers on all sites..

He had a very long exhausting and highly emotional trip and I would guess he needs time to really, really recouperate.

I would need at least a solid week.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited July 2012
    Options
    He's fine fellas talked to him yesterday.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Congratulations! Now the student can become the teacher.
  • BeefJerky
    edited July 2012
    Options
    He's fine fellas talked to him yesterday.
    I guess I'll give him a call Saturday and see how he is...and see what the status on my amp is. :cheesygrin:
  • edoggrc51
    edoggrc51 Posts: 584
    edited July 2012
    Options
    CONGRATS on the amp build!

Any new pics you can share??
    Denon 4311ci
    MINIdsp OPEN-DRC
    XPR-5
    LS6 Line Arrays
    LS-C Center Channel
    A/V-1RS Surounds
    Quad DIY LMS Ultra subs (powered by dual IPR-7500 amps)
    Panny AE-8000u
    2:35 110in Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Belkin PF60
    Harmony ONE

2ch: Emotiva Stealth 8's, Airport Express
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Options
    edoggrc51 wrote: »
    CONGRATS on the amp build!

Any new pics you can share??

Working on that now actually, if I could stop listening long enough to think clearly.:cheesygrin: I promised when this project began, that good, bad or ugly, I would give an honest assessment of these amps, and having had a few days to listen, I must say that these are everything and more than I hoped they would be. They are the best amplifier I have ever had pleasure to get my ears on. Liquid smooth and effortless in their power, bass is impactful and tight, mids seem to float in the air with pinpoint accuracy and the highs are breathtaking in detail. That's the short and sweet of it, as I am still at a loss for words to describe the utter joy they are to have finally taking their place in my rig. It was a long road, but one well worth being travelled. I would do it again without hesitation.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2012
    Options
    attachment.php?attachmentid=72988&d=1342496896

why-so-serious.jpeg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I take everything regarding these amps seriously:cheesygrin:

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Good things come to those who wait. All the time, effort, sweat and rework is worth it in the end. Now enjoy....get lost in the music.