Using 2 sheets mdf for small sub box

LONG TIME BUYER
LONG TIME BUYER Posts: 112
edited May 2014 in Custom Fabrication
Will be making a new sub box for a 8 inch mm840 polk audio subwoofer. The size box 0.35 cu ft,which polk audio states. If i made it using 2 sheets 3/4 mdf board,would it distort the sound or would it be more detailed?. Would love to hear answers back.
Post edited by LONG TIME BUYER on

Comments

• LONG TIME BUYER
    edited November 2011
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited November 2011
    I don't really understand what you are asking, can you be a dit clearer?
    Why would you need 2 sheets of mdf to make a .35ft3 box?
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    edited November 2011
    I made my sub box a hair to small, if i put 1 more sheet of mdf on 3 sides,it will fit perfect,and it will be easy to do. So today i did it and smoothed it all out.you would never know. At this point my subwoofer has not got here yet. Ordered it. So now did i change the sound of the box? I guess when the sub gets here i will find out.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited November 2011
    hhhmmmm...okk....
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited November 2011
    Not sure what you're asking man. Please choose your words carefully and clarify what you are asking.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    edited December 2011
    Very simple. If you read it. If you doubled the box with 2 layers of mdf board what would it sound like? Too simple. I can answer it myself now i already build it. It sounds more tighter and detailed than my other box. I wasnt sure if it would,and i was thinking that someone out there might have tryed this before i did it. Thanks anyway.
  • tommyt21
    tommyt21 Posts: 685
    edited December 2011
    Very simple. If you read it. If you doubled the box with 2 layers of mdf board what would it sound like? Too simple. I can answer it myself now i already build it. It sounds more tighter and detailed than my other box. I wasnt sure if it would,and i was thinking that someone out there might have tryed this before i did it. Thanks anyway.

I'm glad your subwoofer sounds better in the new box. I think the confusion came in your original post. If you had phrased it as, I plan on doubling the thickness of the subwoofer enclosure by using double layers of MDF. You may have gotten the appropriate responses you were looking for.
    Have a good one dude
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited January 2013
    it threw me off too , I read two sheets I was thinking of standard 4x8' sheets , not just building it double wall .
    I am surprised that small a box benifitted from a 1.5 vs .75 wall , I would figure if it helped it it would be more detailed
  • Anthony Hinton
    Anthony Hinton Posts: 107
    edited February 2013
    doubling the wall thickness should stiffen the box, no negative effects.
  • kick
    kick Posts: 10
    edited September 2013
    The thicker the better is the answer
  • 20hz
    edited October 2013
    I cant see a 8" being effected , I put a brace every six inches
    IMHO internall braces are easier and more effective than double walls
    A kick said thicker is always better
  • Eocuph
    Eocuph Posts: 75
    edited October 2013
    With an enclosure that small, its a waste of mdf to add a second layer all around. You should hear any difference. If you are worried that the internal dimensions are too small, you can add some poly fill inside the enclosure.
  • 20hz
    edited May 2014
    thats crazy .35 cu is to small for any positive gains of a dual wall !
    Dual wall is just for rigidity my rule is a brace every 6 inches , if you dont the cabinet will make noise .