My SDA CRS+ Upgrade Thread

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,936
edited July 2012 in Vintage Speakers
I have stated in a few threads that I have been working on my CRS's. I have taken many photos and I was going to wait till I was done to even start this thread but since I have so much to post I figured I would get started.

These are/were 1986 CRS's that I picked up from Harry some time ago last year,I picked up a set of 2B/CRS+ pin/blade Crossovers off eBay for $25 with wire harnesses as well (not a bad buy) as I wanted to do the 4.1tl upgrade.I have the SW120 PR's that I got off eBay as well,and I have the MW6511's in my goodie closet.

I am using Sonic Caps, Dueland Resistor 2.7, Cardas Binding Posts, Tonys boards, My Rings for the Passive, Drivers, Tweeters, and the Binding Post Cups. I am putting in a little Sonic Barrier on the side walls as well as Mortite and Dynamat. I will be JB Welding the magnets while they are out,and of course the RDO-198's.

There is a thread on my custom stands for these little BadBoys,I will post pics of them as well in this thread just to keep it all together.

Well hope you enjoy the transformation.:cool:

Putting in the rings.
CRSs080.jpg
CRSs079.jpg
CRSs077.jpg

Stripping out the Binding Post Cups.
CRSs073.jpg
CRSs074.jpg
CRSs076.jpg
CRSs075.jpg
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Gutting The old boards and putting together Tonys Boards.
    CRSs060.jpg
    CRSs058.jpg
    CRSs059.jpg
    CRSs067.jpg
    CRSs068.jpg
    CRSs065.jpg
    CRSs069.jpg
    CRSs070.jpg
    CRSs063.jpg
    CRSs071.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You can see I added a 1/4" thick delrin to the back of the binding post cups, I have done this to all my SDA's as I find it better to mount the new Cardas Binding Post's, it also helps to add the new binding post for the SDA cable.

CRSs121.jpg
    CRSs114.jpg
    CRSs115.jpg
    CRSs111.jpg
    CRSs113.jpg
    CRSs118.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I ordered the 8-32 standoffs,and screws from Mouser. I used the crossover boards to mark and drill the holes in the lexan..

CRSs125.jpg
    CRSs123.jpg
    CRSs122.jpg
    CRSs127.jpg
    CRSs126.jpg
    If you notice I put a little piece of round Nylon to put under the Dueland resistor,and hot glued it down to secure it from vibration as much as possible.
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This is a great pic seeing the binding post cup from the inside with the ring installed.

CRSs131.jpg
    CRSs133.jpg
    CRSs129.jpg
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Amazing! You guys are truly talented!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I mentioned in another thread about installing the crossovers on the top side of the inside of the cabinet with Tonys boards, well thats the direction I decided to go with. I went to Home Depot and picked up some Velco to secure the board with Hot Glue around the sides of the backing boards, This worked very well and is very secure.

CRSs135.jpg
    CRSs137.jpg
    CRSs136.jpg
    CRSs138.jpg
    CRSs139.jpg
    CRSs141.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    CRSs142.jpg
    CRSs144.jpg
    CRSs146.jpg
    CRSs145.jpg

A little Sonic Barrier on the sides!!

CRSs143.jpg

CRSs147.jpg
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Very nice work, Larry. Did you coat the rings in Rustoleum or something like that?
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This was the Right side Speaker when I get the Left side to this point (I see no need to post pics as it will be the same) I will finish posting pics of the work I have done as far as Dynamat, Mortite, JB-Weld, and stands.

Larry.
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Big Dawg wrote: »
    Very nice work, Larry. Did you coat the rings in Rustoleum or something like that?

Thanks!!

I had them Black Oxided..
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Left speaker is now done up to the point of the right speaker. Looking forward to powering these up later today or tomorrow..

My son is going to have a very nice set of SDA's!!! Thats if I can let go of them,,LOL!!!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited July 2011
    Options
    VERY nice work my man very nice indeed. I knew you would come up with a simple but solid way to mount the boards. Love the idea of adding the delrin plate to the back of the binding post plate.

!! PM coming your way !!.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thanks Tony,

All I have left is JB Welding the MW6511's mounting them and the RDO-198's hook up and rock out..
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Up and running!! sounds great so far can't wait for them to smooth out a little after a 100-200 hours. I will post the last of my pics in a few. It is amazing the bass these little guys put out..
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Putting Dynamat on the drivers and passives.

CRS2004.jpg
    CRS2006.jpg

Since I used the wire harnesses out of the 2B's I didn't want to shorten the wires so I used some wire tie downs I got from Home Depot.

CRS2003.jpg
    CRS2002.jpg

Driver install, another great pic with the rings t-nuts might work but the rings look clean and nice.

CRS2011.jpg
    CRS2010.jpg

Unboxing my MW6511's. I purchased these boxes to stock all my extra drivers and cut foam to secure them, Over Kill?? Maybe but they look better in my closet!!:wink:

CRS2012.jpg
    CRS2013.jpg
    CRS2014.jpg
    CRS2015.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    JB-Weld

CRS2016.jpg
    CRS2017.jpg

CRS2009.jpg
    CRS2005.jpg
    CRS2018.jpg

Pic of it hooked up for a test run!!

CRS2021.jpg
    CRS2020.jpg

CRS2023.jpg
    CRS2022.jpg

And I'm kicking back listening to some Journey!!!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Damn nice Larry-- I really like the way you mounted the crossover boards,,what a great idea sir !!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thanks George!! I really need to get a better camera though.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,815
    edited July 2011
    Options
    As usual, nice work!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thanks Jesse!!

Been listening to them for most of the day now, and I'm not sure if it's the Dueland resistor or not but something beautiful is coming out of them, It's a shame they have to be 5" long.

I ordered some custom short tubes from Dueland for the 1.2tl's should see them in the next couple of weeks. They had to shut down for awhile because of flooding that put orders way behind..
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    As usual, nice work!

You might like to know I did not use Mortite!!!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Great job. I think I'm going to do my crossover mount exactly this way. Very nice.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • ShadesPG
    ShadesPG Posts: 89
    edited September 2011
    Options
    thanks for the step by step photos....i wasnt really sure what you were doing but by following along with the photos, i feel like i learned something.

my apologies if you already answered this somewhere but:
    A) why did you do these mods in the first place?
    B) what was the cost of all of this? (minus your time spent)

eta: i went back and read the beginning of the thread seeing that the purpose was for upgrade.
    My Living Room
    2 Channel
    source > Sony DA555ES >
    Kenwood GE-74 > Marantz SR4400 > Rotel RB980BX > Polk SDA2.
    Pioneer VSX-D909S > Carver TFM-25 > Polk SDA1c.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-99 > PSB imageB25.
    Marantz 2226 > Polk SDA CRS.
    Yamaha RX-V690 > Velodyne Servo F1000.
    Home Theater
    source > Onkyo TX-DS898 > B&W CC6 (center), B&W DM603, B&W DM601, B&W Rock Solid (rears), B&W AS6.
    Bedroom
    source > Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH> ML Quest, B&W DM600 (center), B&W DM601 (rears), Velodyne Servo F1000.
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ShadesPG wrote: »
    thanks for the step by step photos....i wasnt really sure what you were doing but by following along with the photos, i feel like i learned something.

my apologies if you already answered this somewhere but:

eta: i went back and read the beginning of the thread seeing that the purpose was for upgrade.

Because I had them, and wanted something to do, also it's fun!!:cool:

I have about $450 out of pocket for parts to make this happen.

The speakers cost me about $300

Keep in mind the Speaker rings and the Stands cost me nothing since I made these myself..
  • nspindel
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Larry, where'd the little plastic boot come from where you mounted the single cardas binding post for the sda connector? What are those screws? Do they set directly into the plastic you put behind the mounting cup? Got a part number for those screws handy?

What's the verdict on the Dueland resistor? It's a keeper? Do you know anything about their premium resistors, the cast ones? They're double the price of the standard ones.

Have you tested a resistor instead of the jumper where the polyswitch was?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Actually now I see you have a .5 ohm Mills. Any reason to put a Dueland in there as well over a Mills?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I bet your son will be happy nice gift if you can part with them, nice stands did you make them yourself, if so you should make some to sell. I bet a lot of people would buy some if so put me down for 4ea. Nice work Larry. I just noticed the date of this thread so did your son get these, and were you able to part with them?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nspindel
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Larry, in your internal photo of the binding post cup mounting, is that some sort of ring you have on the inside? Looks like you have a custom mounting for that, but I didn't get that in the rings kit the CRS+. Any chance a pair of those mounts could be made available???
  • nspindel
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Also, how do you apply the Sonic Barrier to the inside of the cabinet? Is there an adhesive backer? Or did you use something along the lines of hot glue?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,599
    edited July 2012
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Also, how do you apply the Sonic Barrier to the inside of the cabinet? Is there an adhesive backer? Or did you use something along the lines of hot glue?

yes it has a sticky back