Is it the end of times?

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,713
edited December 2011 in The Clubhouse
Well, is it?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nope.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Nope.

Wait for the poll, jerkoff! :tongue:

• treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nope...:biggrin:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    In hind sight, I should have added :

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PVwCYJj4THQ&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

as an option.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I guess it all depends on what you mean by "end of times". Normaly one assumes the end of the world, second comming of Christ, final battle between good and evil sort of thing. Or one can assume the end of the world as we know it to exist today. Which would be pretty easy if you manipulate the financial markets on a global scale, and some would argue thats being done or at least has been done to a certain extent for along time now. Wars are pretty much obsolete on a grand scale now, you just crush a country's finances, create social upheaval, and bingo, the end.
    So the end of the world as we know it ? Possibly....seems like the world and us are tilting in that direction.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I saw a great little blurb someone wrote where the author basically said people always claim the end of the world because they're narcissistic enough to believe they'll be around to see the end of time. It's part of our inherent need to feel like we're more significant than we are, but in fact your little 80 years of life on this planet is minuscule in every way, and assuming the world WILL end some day, the probability of YOUR being around for it is so vanishingly small as to be laughable.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    ...the probability of YOUR being around for it is so vanishingly small as to be laughable.

Hey, grammar ****, you screwed up there.

It should be you're as in "...you are being around..." which is improper grammar anyway because you have two forms of the word 'be', a present tense and a future tense.

The proper structure should be:

"...the probability of YOU being around for it is so vanishingly small as to be laughable."

• bobman1235
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    *gets popcorn*
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options

Yeah. While the links are correct, they are referring to the noun, being. However, you have used it as a verb, not an adjective.

Proper use: "He resents your being more popular than he is."

Subject: your
    Verb: more popular
    Object: he

The word is used to describe a state of the person being more popular. It is possessive because it is the state of the subject of the sentence.

"...the probability of YOUR being around for it is so vanishingly small as to be laughable."

Subject: you
    Verb: being (around is an adverb)
    Object: it ("the end" is implied, so is 'of the world' - both are prepositional phrases used to modify the object ...the probability of YOUR being around for it is so vanishingly small as to be laughable. is contained in the phrase)

Describes the physical person being at a location, the world's end is implied. Therefore, unless the person actually owns the world, it is not possessive because the "being" does not describe the person's state but the state of the object of the sentence and is an action, otherwise known as a verb. Therefore, using a possessive tied to the subject of the sentence to describe the state of the object of the sentence is improper when the intended adjective is actually the verb.

Then again, if it wasn't a run-on sentence, it'd be easier to see that.

And yes, I know, pot, kettle, black and all that happy hooey.

I was just giving you a hard time, not looking for a debate on grammar.

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's the end. Give away all your gear and prepare yourselves.
    BTW, I can help with disposing of that gear!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    And yes, I know, pot, kettle, black and all that happy hooey.

I was just giving you a hard time, not looking for a debate on grammar.

I know you're just busting balls, just returning the favor.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Or to put it a more blunt fashion...Get over yourselves!:tongue::biggrin:

I saw a great little blurb someone wrote where the author basically said people always claim the end of the world because they're narcissistic enough to believe they'll be around to see the end of time. It's part of our inherent need to feel like we're more significant than we are, but in fact your little 80 years of life on this planet is minuscule in every way, and assuming the world WILL end some day, the probability of YOUR being around for it is so vanishingly small as to be laughable.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited June 2011
    Options
    *gets popcorn*

Cat fight !!:eek:
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I know you're just busting balls, just returning the favor.

bobman1235,

You're full of baloney.

And cfrizz says you smell funny.

Love,
    Jstas

• Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Keiko,

Screw you.

Love,
    Jstas

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2011
    Options
    it hit 95 here today and I'm in WI. On June 7th.

yeah its the end of the world, guess we are all going to die from a big solar flare. :tongue:
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    it hit 95 here today and I'm in WI. On June 7th.

yeah its the end of the world, guess we are all going to die from a big solar flare. :tongue:

Speak of the devil!

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hyi4hjG6kDM&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Jstas,

You wouldn't like it. I'd just lay there.

Love,
    Keiko

Keiko,

That would be expected due to the roofies.

Love,
    Jstas

• treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Isn't a solar flare of that size and magnitude supposed to be able to wipe out the magnetic strips on credit cards? That was rather large.
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Isn't a solar flare of that size and magnitude supposed to be able to wipe out credit cards? That was rather large.

You should stand outside holding your wallet up to the sky and let us know what happens.

Take pictures.

• treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nothing will happen to me. I'm wearing my tin foil hat. Quit being silly.
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's the wallet we're concerned about.

BTW, usually the hat is meant to protect something of value in your head. Some of "us" don't really need the hat due to circumstances...if you catch my drift. *wink wink nudge nudge know wot I mean*

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,298
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Speak of the devil!

We're not supposed to talk about religion here. Don't make me report you. I swear to God I will.
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's the wallet we're concerned about.

BTW, usually the hat is meant to protect something of value in your head. Some of "us" don't really need the hat due to circumstances...if you catch my drift. *wink wink nudge nudge know wot I mean*
    Yeah, I know wot you mean. Some of us just have to much dane bremage....and it shows. Know wot I mean? :biggrin:
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It depends on if Palin wins in Nov.2012 or not.If she does your golden for atleast another 4.:wink::biggrin::eek:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Really John, (per Jstas signature)"You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!" You really need to tell your voices to STFU before they get you into more trouble than you are able to get out of!:tongue:

Love,
    Cathy

bobman1235,

You're full of baloney.

And cfrizz says you smell funny.

Love,
    Jstas
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • JustinHEMI
    JustinHEMI Posts: 198
    edited June 2011
    Options
    By end of times, do you mean the Great American Experiment? Or the US empire? Then yes, I think it is drawing to a close..., and it ain't gonna be pretty.

If you mean the end of the world, then that is unknowable..., and you'll not know when it happens.
    Fronts: Polk RTi A9's
    Center: Polk CSi A6
    Surrounds: Polk FXi A6
    Sub: Epik Empire
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-3
    Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD210
    Power: Monster HDP 2500
    Monitor: Panasonic TC-P60ST30