The SVS has landed!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Damn Doc! I just spilled my coffee all over the place! That pic could make a **** guy re-think his lifestyle! (sorry Brett...had to throw that comment out there for ya!:D )
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    Hey Doc, how will the PB1 compare to the cylinder sub you recommended for me? I'd rather have a nice looking sub like that than a big black cylinder. BTW, very nice pic:)! Were you trying to impress us with the size of your sub or the twins;)?Maurice

BTW, Jerry - they're real, and they're spectacular.

To answer your question, the PB1-ISD is sonically identical to a 25-31 PCi with a 22 Hz tuned port installed (commonly referred to as the "22-31 PCi"). On most program material, it will be hard to tell the difference between a 20-39PCi and a PB1-ISD.

You will very soom have quite a choice of box subs from SVS.

You will have the:

PB1-ISD textured finish; choice of colors
    PB1-Plus wood finish; choice of 5 stains
    PB2-Plus black textured finish
    PB2-Ultra wood finish; choice of 5 stains
    B4-Plus wood finish; choice of any Minwax stain

There will also be a new line-up of box subs in the $300-$500 range, details to be announced, but probably to directly compete with the new HSU "STF" 8" and 10". The PB1-ISD already competes well with the HSU STF 12". This one has got me most interested since the potential is there for a performance compromise in terms of extension and SPL, and SVS has a reputation to uphold in that arena. I suppose if the less expensive offerings compete favorably with the HSU 8" and 10" that should be sufficient.

And I might as well let the cat out of the bag, there will also be (highly rumoured) a PB2-ISD. While there are no official details released, Dr. Spec's crystal ball sees something along the lines of:

- a PB2 enclosure with black finish
    - twin ISD woofs
    - a 600 watt version of the PB2+ amp
    - dual 4" ports with a fixed tune
    - $800-900

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • hank1105
    hank1105 Posts: 63
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I received my PB1 about 3 months ago, and haven't looked back. Thanks to help from members on this board I purchased the SVS PB1. I initially was just going to get a Polk 404 or something like that. Although the PB1 was out of my budget, I still am glad I purchased it.

As of now the best DVD's that I have tried out with the system are Star Wars I and II. I was very impressed with Gladitor 6.1, but the bass was so-so. I hope to watch LOTR extended version this weekend.

Hank
    My 7.1 System:

Fronts: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surround Sides: Polk FXi50's
    Surround Backs: Polk RTi38's
    Sub: SVS PB1-ISD

Receiver: Sony STR-DA7ES

SAT Receiver: Sony SAT 200B
    HDTV: Panasonic CT-36HX42
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Damn Doc! I just spilled my coffee all over the place! That pic could make a **** guy re-think his lifestyle! (sorry Brett...had to throw that comment out there for ya!:D )
    Frank, you'd be assuming that because I'm **** I don't see them.......I'd almost venture that I'd have a better chance to see them or play with them (generally speaking) before some of you straighties :D

Disclaimer: The aforementioned statement has, in no regard, any meaning towards Doc's girl.....as 'spectacular' as he promises them to be... ;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    Frank, you'd be assuming that because I'm **** I don't see them.......I'd almost venture that I'd have a better chance to see them or play with them (generally speaking) before some of you straighties :D

Oh Yeah! Says You! I think...well umm...

I got a big bag of nuthin here!

Faster,
    Congrats on the upgrade!
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hey Doc,

Since you have your better half's photo on this thread, why not include your own? If not, my bet is that you might take on characteristics of the SVS subhuman character on their coffee mugs. :)

Also, with your SVS announcements above, might it be worth waiting on the purchase of the 20-39 PCi or PC-Plus because of what might be available from SVS in the near future?
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Congrats Faster! Enjoy the new toy!

Too many people are getting new SVS's! I'm jealous! :(

I want some new gear!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg
    Hey Doc,

Since you have your better half's photo on this thread, why not include your own? If not, my bet is that you might take on characteristics of the SVS subhuman character on their coffee mugs. :)

Also, with your SVS announcements above, might it be worth waiting on the purchase of the 20-39 PCi or PC-Plus because of what might be available from SVS in the near future?

Are you kidding? And risk desecration of my image like Troy suffers at the hands of Russ on a regular basis?

Actually, my picture is self posted in my "2002 deer season" thread in Off-Topic about 7 months ago (or so).

Should you wait on the purchase? Nothing coming out will really make the PCi or PC-Plus outdated or obsolete.

In the box line - the PB2+ is an unparalleled performance value, though.

Doc

SVS
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hmmm, I guess we'll have to rename the pants waffling club (PWC) to the jugs waffling club (JWC)!!

(and talk about hijacking threads Spec!)
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by wallstreet
    (and talk about hijacking threads Spec!)

First, Faster is the one who asked how big the PB2+ is, so I provided a picture with a person on top to give a sense of reference. What's wrong with that? ;)

Furthermore, I've continued to give him solid advice about improving the sound of his new sub on a wooden floor.

It's STILL Cliff's new SVS thread - I just added some fun bag element to the mix while we impatiently wait for him to chime in with further comments and review about the sub and/or the slate/granite/paver mod. So nana nana boo boo.

Humbly,

Doc

SVS
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Doc, Doc, Doc.......lol.....he was talkin about Frank and I.........I'm just beside myself......Frank challenging me and my accessibilities to such things.......;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well, called around about a granite slab, 18x20 min.. forget it.. one place wanted 100.00 another wanted 50 + polish if i wanted the edge polished.. I was thinking???? make a wood frame with plywood bottom, fill with concrete smooth to the top.. dry.. then finish the sides with stain and clear.. maybe clear coat the concrete top.. wammo a concrete heavy base.. and looks nice to boot... any thoughts on that?? alot cheaper and i could paint or stain to suit..

The sub needs the base plate made ie;concrete,granite what have you.. It flat out rocks.. T2 today was incredible.. i need to see how to save settings for stereo versus HT so i can recalibrate for music as you stated at a lower volume.. it has deep powerfull bass... pressurizes the room enough to bug my ears yesterday after awhile at high volumes on FM stereo.. this is a small room and the Pb1 has alot to offer.. so should i set the receiver at -5 period then adjust the plate amp to get my spl correct?? that's what i read on SVS site i think... or from you.. Now its at -6 and 10 clock on the plate amp. Let me know that as i going right now to listen to some music.. See i have my 2 girls here and taking care of them and doing the demo thing takes time, My oldest is 5 next month and the youngest is 13 months, so fun fun fun,, gotta entertain non stop... i will be back though.. i would get a base today but i am about tapped out,, i just also bought a csi30 for rear duty, UPS says it will be here tomorrow already.. Yippee.. Now i need to fab a angles shelf for that bugger.. so busy
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    Well, called around about a granite slab, 18x20 min.. forget it.. one place wanted 100.00 another wanted 50 + polish if i wanted the edge polished.. I was thinking???? make a wood frame with plywood bottom, fill with concrete smooth to the top.. dry.. then finish the sides with stain and clear.. maybe clear coat the concrete top.. wammo a concrete heavy base.. and looks nice to boot... any thoughts on that?? alot cheaper and i could paint or stain to suit..
    I'm not an expert but that sounds good to me. I think a friend of mine used a BIG garden stone that cost him a few bucks, may not have to be granite... if you don't want the concrete or stone to show wrap it in fabric or something...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    First, Faster is the one who asked how big the PB2+ is, so I provided a picture with a person on top to give a sense of reference. What's wrong with that? ;)

Furthermore, I've continued to give him solid advice about improving the sound of his new sub on a wooden floor.

It's STILL Cliff's new SVS thread - I just added some fun bag element to the mix while we impatiently wait for him to chime in with further comments and review about the sub and/or the slate/granite/paver mod. So nana nana boo boo.

Humbly,

Doc

That pic gives a whole new meaning to WAF! Braahahahahaha
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    while were showing pics of subs
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The concrete paver thing is workable. You can also seal the concrete and then spray paint it any color you wish.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I've always placed slate under my subs (thanks be to Chris "snake" that used to visit here). Until, I had to lay the SonoSub on its side due to the incorporation of the front projector. It made a sizeable improvement in the tightness of the impact, especially when I had the HT in the house. In the new room, it was noticable, but not to the extent it was previous. I'm sure the beefer construction, better insulation and such helped reduce the boomyness that I had in the house.

I found a 18"x24"x2" piece at the local landscape shop for $20.
    while were showing pics of subs
    11_40_big.jpg
    Nothing fancy here, but it'll give those pretty-boy SVS's a run for their money.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The concrete idea might work, it'll work better than concrete pavers. I'd not recommend those as they are too porus, you want something as dense as possible, the reason slate works so well.

If...
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    where the heck do you find "slate" and what is it made of?? Home depot have those??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Has anyone else considered that the photo posted by Doc **IS** Doc?? Perhaps S/he felt s/he wouldn't be taken seriously here as a woman, but now, after so many people have benefitted and are appreciative of the advice, s/he has decided that we can handle them.. I mean him.. I mean her.

As for the concrete slab... I think the wooden frame filled with concrete is a good idea. I'd go at least 2-3" thick, and be sure to 'stir' the mix *after* it is in the former. By stir, I mean take a stick or a screwdriver or whatever and run it back and forth in the mix in all directions, make sure there are no bubbles and you have a consistent spread.

When I built my tube sub, I ignorantly had a plywood base underneath with spiked feet on that to the floor. The driver made that base buzz at even moderate volumes. So, I removed it, used a section of the tube as a former, and applied a 2" thick circle of concrete (Quickcrete) to the base. That thing has to weigh... well, it is heavy. Hbomb has held it.. he can attest to size/weight. It still buzzed on things like the AOTC explosion, Monster's Inc., etc. So now it fires right into the floor on 3.5" legs.. but it is a concrete floor so problem is solved. Just not as 'nice' looking.

Um... speaking of holding and attesting to size/weight...
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Home Depot only has 12"x12" pieces of slate for flooring. Call around to local nurseries / landscape shops.

I'd say go with a grout type mix and for-go using a 3/4" mix. This way you'll get a more solid block with less chance of air pockets.

If...
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P

go with a grout type mix and for-go using a 3/4" mix.

say that again, LOL

you mean use mortor instead of concrete? and what about the 3/4" mix?? explain im dense about this stuff
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yeah, a mortar mix, nothing larger than sand (or at worst) pea gravel (rocks the size of pea's). A 3/4" mix has rocks 3/4" in size roughly, mixing by hand is a bit tougher and will trap more air, creating more voids, thus making it more porus.

If...
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    done deal, i found a shop who carries, slate, granite, a/c slabs.. the works.. he said a piece of slate 18x20 about 30 lbs he guessed.. $6.00 bucks.... yeah. that's what im talking about.. sorry being so cheap but ive spent $832.00 in the last week.. sub, center and monster lock banana connectors... sheesh im done. tomorrow im going to that rock shop.... Thanks Ron for the info and everyone elses help :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using a concrete paver. It is more porous than hand mixed, thats true, but cheap is cheap. Its certainly not messy either.

Ron - Slate is a great idea, often overlooked apparently.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I always recommend pavers or slate, but slate is my aesthetics favorite, hands down.

I don't know how thick that piece is for $6.00, but you might want to get two of them and stack them for that price, or ask him if you can get a 2" or thicker single piece. 2" is my minimum on a wood floor for isolation. It's so cheap you can afford to experiment, and it is indeed quite dense and sonically inert.

I think you will notice a pretty big improvement with the slate; it really helps reduce floor boom, which can be terrible with thin floors and large spaces below.
    Has anyone else considered that the photo posted by Doc **IS** Doc?? Perhaps S/he felt s/he wouldn't be taken seriously here as a woman, but now, after so many people have benefitted and are appreciative of the advice, s/he has decided that we can handle them.. I mean him.. I mean her.

OK, I dredged up that pic from Off Topic - here I am, the REAL Dr. Spec:

SVS
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Someone's grab'en antler!

If...
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Man! No kidding! I opened my RTi70.....and the foam just split in half right there on the carpet. I was like.......wtf!!! Talk about *poor packing*. Oh well, it arrived in excellant shape! Cant complain! But polk should rethink their packing....

~ :oInsomnia Sid:o ~

I agree Polk needs to redesign the packaging. When I opened the box of one of my RTi70's, the foam was all broken into little pieces. The stand on the speaker was damaged and had pushed one of the plastic legs into the wood base. I exchanged it for another and that one was fine.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Doc, now you've got me humming "The Lumberjack" song.... (maybe in your case "The Lumbar-jack...").

Nice looking deer, but I liked the pic of the "rack " on your SVS better :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Frank Z
    edited August 2003
    Options
    ...I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay I sleep all night and I work all day

I cut down trees I eat my lunch and go to the lavatry(sp?)

On Sunday I'll go shopping and have buttered scones for tea!

Take it away Tour!!:D