The SVS has landed!!!!!!

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I just received the SVS pb1 alittle earlier.. watched some key parts of Jurrasic park 3, and Monsters is on now.. The scene where Boo cries and then pops the light bulb.. 114 db peak on the meter about 8foot from the front of the sub.. pretty damm great!! I am soo impressed with this sub its uncanny.. I have alot of demo stuff to do and go pick up my copy of LOTR EE tonight.. had it on layaway so it gotta buy it tonight.. Man this thing is huge and heavy.. I lifted it out of the box myself and i through my back out somewhat.. Its a problem back as it is, now its hurting.. Oh well the price you pay, LOL Reviews later to come tonight!!

Thanks ED, thanks for all the help and chooseing this sub, The 404, what 404... that wasn't bass at all.. a rumble box at best. compared to this, worked great until you try a "real" sub..

Oh and i dig the color, tired of the basic black.. This is sweet
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
svs.jpg 42.9K
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited August 2003
    Options
    My Towers arrived today.......Dad has to bring em by.

Woody Jacobs (im sending your RT25i and CS245i out today also) this is the ship receive week!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    Oh and i dig the color, tired of the basic black.. This is sweet
    That color actually matches something else in your room huh? Power to ya, but it looks like a sandbox creation.........(congrats btw)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    Options
    ler er RIP!!! Looks like no work today!

Congrats

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Look at Sid hi-jacking the friggin thread on the first post. Jeeeezus.....

Glad you are digging the PB1-ISD. It looks pretty cool in house. Wow, that's some SPL at 8 feet! Three cheers for for room gain!

I'm really glad that this is an alternate brand friendly forum. Polk must really get sick of new SVS owners bashing their formerly acceptable Polk sub.

Most people who upgrade to an SVS immediately consider it to be the best investment (bang for the buck) and equipment upgrade they ever made. I truly hope you feel that way, and I know that $600+ was a big stretch.

I do feel somewhat responsible for owner satisfaction when someone spends big money on an upgrade that I personally recommended.

Besides the big SPL numbers, please post your impressions about accuracy, flatness, lack of boom, deep extension, musicality, etc. In other words, how does the sub sound for both HT and music?

Also, I thought I saw (no lie) LOTR-EE at Wal-Mart for $15.98 on DVD. I almost bought it just for the price.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks Spec, I have alot of listening to do to get a better review rolling, will update

Brett,

Its not a matter of matching, in decorating its called contrast.. LOL
    Its kinda close to the cherry 70's.. and some other items in the room that have a tan/rose pink.. natural wood shelves kinda deco..

I have an open foundation and wood floor so i think i may be needing some granite or slate for underneath it..

walmart here wants $28.99 for LOTR EE 4 disk set
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Jeez...you do know that us **** are familiar with decorating and the concept of contrast, right? ;)

I dunno......it just looks weird to me. I guess that in my heart of hearts, I've come to accept that a sub is black and looks good that way. The ONLY exception that I would make to this rule is the maple type of stain that the behemeth (sp?) SVS box bu-4 (i think without looking). That thing is just effin BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Its different i give that to ya, One i got it asap.. no wait, i got something unique, I'm not in love with the color, nor do i think its ugly though.. It looks so massive and again unique it just works for me.. It looks like a part of the room instead of a huge black box, with no influence on the decor or function of the room.. It could serve as a shelf for something... Plus when you have something this cool, who wants it to blend away.. when people come over i love the "wow" effect.. what the hell is that Cliff??? NOt ah just another subwoofer or black boat anchor.. LOL

I admit seeing this now, The gray stone would have been to loud for me, this is a subtle color.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    She's strange, but then again I like strange. She's a unique piece and therefore has her own inherent value. She'll no doubt grow on you and become very special to you. She's like a pet with a special characteristic, perhaps differently colored paws or a missing ear, that endears her to you. And like all pets, one day you'll wonder why it is that you're always trying to get her to lick peanut butter off of your wiener. Whoops, not sure why I went in that direction...

Congrats on the SVS, looks and no doubt sounds like a true winner.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited August 2003
    Options
    AWESOME!!!
    I'm still trying to talk the wife into a new sub. I'm leaning toward the PB1 but I've got a pretty large room (15X30X8) with openings at either end into another room the same size. How big is your room?
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Doc,
    Was my way of congradulating.....sorry bout that...

Faster, that sub looks alot better than SVS makes it out to be. Boom away I say!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks MX,

My room is small 12 x11' with the 12 foot being where my couch to tv are, These things are huge, can't imagine how big the pb2 is..

Its working great, my wife got home, i threw in jurrassic park 3 dts and she was like WOW!! enough said, my job is done.. wife is happy..

Long as she don't want to put a curtain on it with lace. LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Now faster has been transported to Bass Zen Whoopie.

It's really hard to explain to people the difference in a REAL subwoofer, vs your avg 'powered woofer in a box'. (not that anything is wrong with the woof-in-box, I own 4 such creatures)

You now have that 'understanding'. Enjoy!

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    And like all pets, one day you'll wonder why it is that you're always trying to get her to lick peanut butter off of your wiener. Whoops, not sure why I went in that direction...

Loud:

I've been meaning to tell you - your recent posts have been goddamn HILARIOUS. You have great command of the English language and an awesome sense of humor.

Doc

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Loud:

I've been meaning to tell you - your recent posts have been goddamn HILARIOUS. You have great command of the English language and an awesome sense of humor.

Doc

Mr. Spec... are you doing a Vulcan thing or something? That is some funny stuff. Outstanding Loud!

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Everyone thinks that PB2-Plus stands for Powered Box 2 Plus drivers.

What it really stands for is Built 2 Party Plus.

I told you it was big enough for hot babes to party on! The good Doctor speaks from experience!

party-smiley-020.gif

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Jesus H Christ Doc, at first glance I thought that was MY wife at YOUR house. (it took me a good 20 seconds to look at her face)

Nice to see we have similar, um, tastes? ;)

I hate to say it, but be forwarned, if Hoosier sees that pic, he's gonna rub one out.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    That is just plain evil :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    Options
    there are speakers in that picture? where?
    ;)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Whose hijacking the thread now, Doc? Not that I mind :D Obviously more than the SVS is capable of pants waffling in your house...

Congrats faster... As others have said, I await the full review.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited August 2003
    Options
    faster,

Congrats on your SVS purchase. Remember to change your profile - "SVS PB1-ISD almost here" is now officially obsolete!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • HBombToo
    edited August 2003
    Options
    WWWWilberrrrrrrrrr.

thats the best horse imatation from HBomb:)

Twin:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Doc,

For a minute, I thought I was redirected to a **** message board. :o

Those...um...I mean...that...PB2 is sure huge. :D
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Nice to see we have similar, um, tastes?

Yes, I had to get the dual driver sub to keep things symmetrical in the household.
    Obviously more than the SVS is capable of pants waffling in your house...

Brings a whole new meaning to the PWC. :p

By now, Faster has fallen into a bass nirvana induced coma. We'll here from him tomorrow.

As for me, Brotherhood Of The Wolf proved quite entertaining this evening.

Doc

SVS
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Ok i'm not to good with reviews, and i really havent had time to sit and demo my butt off.. i did watch a few key parts of dvd's and some cd's.. first off i need a heavy floor base, like a slate or granite slab.. my floor is vibrating like crazy.. i had it cranked on some music earlier today and the tv was getting lines in it.. I have a 46" RPTV RCA.. I think on movies it's fantastic!! fills this small room with solid bass.. It doesnt even sound like the subs i'm used to.. It is just there. can't tell where its coming from until the windows of this old house start rattleing and the floor starts shaking.. No kidding. The polk 404 had bass and sounded "good" i have always said that. But this has deep powerful bass.. 2 different things. In my opinion so far its smokes on HT and is good on music. seems on rap or bass heavy music it is hard hitting, No throw some lionel richie, or mellow stuff and its mellow.. although it really doesnt need to have hard hitting bass for that music..

Ok like i said earlier,, Monsters inc. boo crying and bulb break scene 114 db peak at 8 foot,

Jurrassic park 3 dts.. after the plane crash in the begining and when the plane falls from the tree and they get chased via a dino 108 db @ 8 foot

most scenes with any significant bass peaks the 100 db scale on fast C weighted.. so i moved to the 110 scale

I still need to demo gladiator dts, toy story and pick up my copy of LOTR..

we watched the new tommy lee jones dvd tonight, the Hunted.. Not alot of bass and impact in this movie.. Ok though..

More music demo's to do tomorrow

Note: My settings on the psw 404 were receiver -3 on the level and the plate amp at 12-1 O clock.. and still had to run it hot to sound loud..(also had it useing sub xover (cranked up) and receivers bass filter)

Now the PB1 receiver setting -6 and the plate amp 10 O'clock crossover off, phase 0 degree's..

Its late, this is all for now,, By the way my wifes likes it as well.. was amazed at the dino chase scene..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2003
    Options
    That looks awesome, faster! I think it looks very nice. Now I can't wait to get mine. If I get the PB1, I wil probably ask for the same colour. It's an extra $50 for the coloured versions right?

Hey Doc, how will the PB1 compare to the cylinder sub you recommended for me? I'd rather have a nice looking sub like that than a big black cylinder. BTW, very nice pic:)! Were you trying to impress us with the size of your sub or the twins;)?

Maurice
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Good Ol' Doc, he loves them ported models, dual ports even better, now give him a dual ported model with a pair of knobs like that to play with...

As for me I have this old sealed model, ain't nothing getting....

**I hope to god that ain't his daughter**
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • faster100
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    That looks awesome, faster! I think it looks very nice. Now I can't wait to get mine. If I get the PB1, I wil probably ask for the same colour. It's an extra $50 for the coloured versions right?

Maurice

Actually yeah its 50 extra for the color, But being the blacks were back ordered and i decided on the color, i got 50 bucks off.. after i bragged about Doc and asked for a discount.. what a company..

The box that this came in was so big and well padded.. it would never have gotten damaged i don't think.. class act. Polks subs have styro foam.. both 404's i had the foam was busted when i opened them :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    i had the foam was busted when i opened them :rolleyes:

Man! No kidding! I opened my RTi70.....and the foam just split in half right there on the carpet. I was like.......wtf!!! Talk about *poor packing*. Oh well, it arrived in excellant shape! Cant complain! But polk should rethink their packing....

~ :oInsomnia Sid:o ~
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    Options
    his daughter? wow that was a scary thing to say. why did you have to bring that up?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    his daughter? wow that was a scary thing to say. why did you have to bring that up?

Because Russ said he was going to rub one off to the picture and that was his way of implying he did. It was pretty funny actually.

And she's my woman, not my daugther. I'm not that old!

Faster:

You are experiencing first had what I've been preaching about wooden floors and powerful subs. The floor turns into a trampoline and it starts to create its own sound.

Just jump up and down on your floor and see what kind of boom it creates. Not too pleasant is it?

While concrete is a far better sounding foundation, if you are stuck with wood, definitely find the thickest heaviest piece of slate or concrete paver you can safely handle and place it under the sub. The heavier and denser the material, the more resistant to motion and energy transfer it will be.

If you think it sounds good now, wait until you isolate it from that boomy floor. Also, if you can, run the sub FLAT for music. That means actually the same or even a little less than the other speakers on the RS meter with your test tones. That's because the RS meter reads a little low on the bass test tones.

If you have two different inputs for HT and music, it is easy to run the sub cooler for music.

Doc

SVS