Further Thoughts On ABX Testing Of Stereophonic Audio Systems

Options
13»

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,271
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You'll never see Fred Ziffel with a stopwatch out at Churchill Downs timing Arnold to see what his 1 1/4 mile time is. He could, but there wouldn't necessarily be a lot of sense in it except, perhaps, for Fred to be able to say, "Wow ! That's one fast pig !".

But Arnold would still be a pig; a fast pig but still .....

Which is NOT to imply that Belden cables are pigs. Not meaning to imply that at all.

But most sites/magazines/blogs test high-end gear, and that's understandable. It'd be rather unreasonable to expect them to roll out the expensive test gear for equipment that doesn't really merit it.

Here's a chance, though, that you don't often come across.
    It would be kind of interesting to compare/contrast results for some entry-level cables.
    The results of which would be ....... ?
    Don't know; could venture a guess, but that's what would be cool.
    MAYBE after being tempered in a Cable Cooker, the measured results might show, "Holy cow, they test out exactly the same as the best MIT's !!".

Wouldn't wager my money that way. Maybe the test results might just show a dramatic improvement by seasoning in a Cable Cooker. More reasonable expectation, but again ..... don't know.

But, in any event, DK's offer appears above board, measurable, and actually quite generous. It's not my time and effort that's being offered, so the only thing I can offer is my opinion that I think it is quite generous.

In the meantime, everybody enjoy your Holidays, and ENJOY YOUR TUNES ! :smile:
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ray, you are speaking to empty space and offers. I agree with Mike above!!!

BTW Rick
    You'll never see Fred Ziffel with a stopwatch out at Churchill Downs timing Arnold to see what his 1 1/4 mile time is. He could, but there wouldn't necessarily be a lot of sense in it except, perhaps, for Fred to be able to say, "Wow ! That's one fast pig !".

But Arnold would still be a pig; a fast pig but still .....

EFFFIN WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited December 2010
    Options
    David Manley, in "The Vacuum Tube Logic Book", writes one of my favorite quotations, and in my opinion it's what Raife is exploring:

". . . In the hi-fi world there are many examples that defy measurement; bi-wiring is one, interconnect cables another, the apparent loudness of tubes yet another. One of the most important aural phenomena we design and listen for is that of imaging. No measurement-unit exists to quantify this or spatial specificity/location." (I personally feel DK is exploring the development of this missing measurement-unit)

Manley goes on to share his thoughts about ABX testing, stating:

" . . . No doubt this (ABX) system has great merit. However, we believe it is at its best in what one could honestly call mass-produced, average price-level, consumer-oriented products."

He (Manley) completes the thought with:

"We feel that true High End audio components fall into a category where adjudication by experts should be the ruling, as it is in many forms of endeavour; painting, sculpture, ballet, wine-tasting, gourmet cooking, book reviews, etc."

This seems to synch with jinko's "Average Joe" statements which are probably not in synch what most in this group are seeking, and probably exposes why jink (and others) seem(s) to be so unhappy here.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    Options
    David Manley, in "The Vacuum Tube Logic Book", writes one of my favorite quotations, and in my opinion it's what Raife is exploring:

". . . In the hi-fi world there are many examples that defy measurement; bi-wiring is one, interconnect cables another, the apparent loudness of tubes yet another. One of the most important aural phenomena we design and listen for is that of imaging. No measurement-unit exists to quantify this or spatial specificity/location." (I personally feel DK is exploring the development of this missing measurement-unit)

Manley goes on to share his thoughts about ABX testing, stating:

" . . . No doubt this (ABX) system has great merit. However, we believe it is at its best in what one could honestly call mass-produced, average price-level, consumer-oriented products."

He (Manley) completes the thought with:

"We feel that true High End audio components fall into a category where adjudication by experts should be the ruling, as it is in many forms of endeavour; painting, sculpture, ballet, wine-tasting, gourmet cooking, book reviews, etc."

This seems to synch with jinko's "Average Joe" statements which are probably not in synch what most in this group are seeking, and probably exposes why jink (and others) seem(s) to be so unhappy here.

Great informative post Greg as Manley really know his stuff!!! I believe he has tried the "if it measures good it's got to sound good" but then found that if it measures good it does not always equate to good sound.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2010
    Options
    There were a few things in that book I disagreed with, but it still sits atop my coffee table!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2010
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    There were a few things in that book I disagreed with, but it still sits atop my coffee table!

Chuck you would disagree that the black coffee sitting on that coffee table isn't black!!! Hehehehe!!!!:tongue:
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited December 2010
    Options
    madmax wrote: »

But I think that's one of the greatest things about audio. There are many different, yet elegant circuit pathways that can be designed to get from source to loudspeaker. Manley definitely found a few of them.

P.S.: Don't spill anything on that book while it sits on your coffee table. Have you seen the prices even a paperback version will bring these days ??!!
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited December 2010
    Options
    irritability gave way to wonderment when the stereophonic illusion formed in front of her.

"How does it do that?" she asked.
    You know, having been into music (and listening thereto) my entire life it never even occurred to me that people would not be able to even perceive stereo imaging without some practice. The implications of this are interesting...
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Flash21 wrote: »
    You know, having been into music (and listening thereto) my entire life it never even occurred to me that people would not be able to even perceive stereo imaging without some practice. The implications of this are interesting...

I used to work with a guy who could not perceive the difference between mono and the super wide soundstage presented by SDA's. He was obviously listening for some other aspect of the sound. He couldn't explain what he was listening for. I would have at least thought he would question why the sounds were not coming from the speakers.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2010
    Options
    mcnarus wrote:
    But almost everything is close enough. And the exceptions are mis-designed high-end crap. Major manufacturers do not make these kinds of mistakes.

I think i may have peed a little.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Flash21 wrote: »

I have found that some people do not know the purpose of two speakers instead of one. The best some people can come up with is that the two speakers have something to do with the fact that we have two ears. They are totally unaware of the concepts of stereo imaging and stereo sound staging.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hmmm, they must also be puzzled as to why anybody would want to use binoculars when a telescope works perfectly well...
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2010
    Options
    They probably are.

When the first consumer stereophonic audio systems were introduced, there was some consumer backlash due to the thought that the extra speaker was totally unnecessary and was just a gimmick to get people to spend more money. "Why use two speakers when one works perfectly well?"

Some people swore they could hear no spatial improvement with a two speaker system...and they probably could not without proper training.

During initial research and development trials at Bell Laboratories, a three channel, three speaker system was found to be optimal, but test subjects had some aversion to buying "all those speakers" when they were accustomed to just one. Even when cost was not an issue to a consumer, the placement of three speakers in a home environment presented far more aesthetic challenges than a two speaker system. Bell Labs compromised on a two speaker system.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    So I stumbled on this thread when searching outside of CP for "Electrocompaniet" of all things! :smile:

As always, interesting thread @DarqueKnight !
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.