Favorite Barbecue sauce?

Options

Comments

• kefranklin
    kefranklin Posts: 141
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I am in North Augusta, Sherardp. The Sonny's sauce is very good and I actually used some on the butts I smoked for yesterday. Happy Holidays in Japan as well.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Favorite bbq sauce? None,I want to taste the meat not the sauce.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet
    Jack Daniels Original #7
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited January 2011
    Options
    treitz3 thank you for the tip on "Old Mule" OMG this hot bbq is awesome.

Much appreciated! I would never found it without your lead.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Sweet baby rays, you can't go wrong - We have family who sends us sauce from all over the south, I usually have 5-10 sauces ready to use, as I do a lot of smoking. I'm a huge fan of Rudy's BBQ sauce from Texas, but the real deal is their Rudy's Rub, put it on a pork butt, set it on the smoker for 7 or so hours, and tear into it! Maybe I'll make a nice butt for the next NC Polkfest with some Rudys rub and SBR over it...
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2011
    Options
    pepster wrote: »
    It makes your nose run, and tears flow, 30minutes after you eat it!:biggrin:

Come on man!! **** sauce is barely even spicy. You need to try my sauces if you want to know what the true burn is all about!! :biggrin:

As far as commercial BBQ sauces are concerned, Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle is F'n outstanding!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,363
    edited January 2011
    Options
    nap wrote: »
    I promise I'll put you down for some, no foolin'. Cheers. :cool:
    We'll trade, uumK?

I got some your tongue has been calling me at night about. Please, let's get this transaction done. My wife and I are tired of the late night calling. If you are nice about it, I'll slide you some of the Old Mule if you haven't had some yet.....
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    We'll trade, uumK?

I got some your tongue has been calling me at night about. Please, let's get this transaction done. My wife and I are tired of the late night calling. If you are nice about it, I'll slide you some of the Old Mule if you haven't had some yet.....

Hell dude, I make my own too for my competition bbq. KCBS member, team, and certified judge. Shoot me your addy, and I'll send you I'll send you some sauces. :biggrin:
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Firehouse subs barbeque sause is the bomb!!!
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Fischer & Wieser Razzpotle
    Roasted Raspberry Chipotle

Very versatile change of pace...

Seems like same vein as the Sweet Baby Rays

Based on the reviews I'll give the Old Mule a spin... Original or hot? And how is their mustard?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Snow thawed and found my smoker. BBQ season is upon us....

Just tried this sauce out on some ribs that I used a spicy rub on over the weekend. It was the perfect sweet and spicy combo for my friends and I. Highly recommend trying it out.

Blues Hog BBQ Sauce
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My favorite is whatever they apply to the Jack Daniels glazed ribs at TGI Friday's or Sweet Baby Ray's with sauteed onions, paprika,cayenne pepper & wht. vinegar added. for when I do pulled pork on the Weber grill.:cool:
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I make my own with the Mesquite Fajita seasoning from GFS:

Molasses, Ketchup, yellow mustard, salt, onion powder and the Seasoning.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My great-grandfather's patented plantation-style BBQ sauce. (It's not bottled and a family secret, sorry.) Very vinegar-based, not all that sweet **** at 99% of places.

"Tis a treat on any meat."

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I see a lot of people put Sweet Baby Rays. Meh, I was not really impressed with it too much, myself. Also has HFCS in it (to go along with another thread). Each to their own tastebuds though.

I prefer Stubb's - I mix the spicy with the smokey mesquite.

I also can make up a pretty good sauce myself. Don't really have a recipe, but kinda ad lib it each time. Usually comes out good though.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • treitz3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Based on the reviews I'll give the Old Mule a spin... Original or hot? And how is their mustard?
    Oh, sorry there bud. I must have missed this post. To answer your question, it depends on how you like your sauce. The Original is what got me into Old Mule to begin with. To me, it is a reference BBQ sauce that needs absolutely nothing added to make your taste buds get a little slice of heaven on earth. The hot is the same version with a little bit more kick. It may me too hot for the wife or kids but it is damned tasty to me and adds the perfect amount of kick. Not too hot, not too mild.....kind of right on par with what you would expect a hot BBQ sauce to taste like. It's not so hot that you can't taste the food, which is a good thing in my book. Excellent blend of spices.

As far as the mustard based sauce? I can't answer that for you. I'm personally not a big fan of a mustard based sauce but maybe someone here has tried it and can let you know. I do know this, next time I make an order, I will get me one of the mustard based jars. While I have not liked any mustard based sauces that I have tried [including Maurice's award winning sauce], just based upon the original and hot Old Mule sauces? I'm willing to try it.

Oh, not a big fan of Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. It's like a beginners BBQ sauce to me.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    messiah wrote: »
    Hell dude, I make my own too for my competition bbq. KCBS member, team, and certified judge. Shoot me your addy, and I'll send you I'll send you some sauces. :biggrin:
    Done. Thanks!

[EDIT:]You need to clear out some of your PM's there, buddy. :wink:
    messiah has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Placed another Old Mule order yesterday. I even ordered a shirt! I just wish they made a hotter sauce than their Hot. I did order a mustard too.

I will keep searching.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Good bbq doesnt need sauce.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Falke401
    Falke401 Posts: 15
    edited May 2011
    Options
    dorourke07 wrote: »
    When you are in Cincinnati do yourself a favor and check out the Montgomery Inn. Great bbq and great sauce. Most of the grocery stores in Ohio carry it. Thick and smoky with a nice sweet follow up taste. Complex and indulgent.

+1000 on this! You can also have it shipped to you.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Finally found the Shealy Family recipe' after years of looking for it after my uncle gave it to me for the "final" time.This is a mustard based sauce that was used back in the 20's and 30's by my grandfather (Shealy's BBQ) in South Carolina.I'll post it here so I can recall it as I'll probabally loose it again,,compliments of my Uncle,,Earl Shealy,,,RIP

Here you go

1 cup mustard(fench's)
    1 cup oil
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup Wor sauce

Salt/pepper/Texas Pete/Garlic to taste

Mix in blender,,OR shake in jar(thats old school)

Heat thoroughly,,,DO NOT BOIL

There you have it.

Thanks--enjoy.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Big Daddy says, "This is Carolina style barbecue sauce." This means that it is vinegar and mustard based, as opposed to the ketchup and molasses based sauces of the mid and southwest. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors brings out the absolute best in grilled or smoked pork or chicken.
    Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: Makes about 2 1/4 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
    Preparation:

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.
  • vwfred69
    vwfred69 Posts: 54
    edited June 2011
    Options
    old hickory BBQ dip and sauce from "Old Hickory" in Owensboro ky.
    sweet baby rays is also ok
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited June 2011
    Options
    There are probably a million recipes that are 1 point better than Sweet Baby Ray's, but it's always great with a no muss, no fuss simple twist of the cap to get grilling.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    edited June 2011
    Options
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Cookies (made in IA) is my house BBQ sauce. It's a good flavorful semi-sweet sauce that's a really good base for anyway you want to take it. Sweet Baby Ray's isn't bad either.

Ditto cookies available at all HY-Vee's in Iowa
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Tried another great sauce on some beef ribs today. The sauce is actually better if you put it on after the meat comes off the BBQ. It's called Pendleton Original BBQ sauce. They put Pendleton Canadian Whiskey in it. It has a little spice and absolutely great flavor. The flavor and spiciness decrease and/or change if you actually heat the sauce on the meat. It's better placed on after the meat is cooked. Here is a link about it:http://www.oregongrowers.com/sauces/pendleton-original-bbq-sauce

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Anyone try the Head Country sauces and rubs? I'm reading good things about it.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • treitz3
    edited June 2013
    Options
    El bumparoonie for a great thread - It's BBQ time once again. Let's see what you are using today...

Tom
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Big Daddy's BBQ's sauces. Local joint here in central Iowa. They closed the storefront/restaurant when the old man passed away but they kept the internet presence.
    FANTASTIC sauces from sweet and mild to popsicle **** hot. And all are delicious.
    Using a bottle of "Applicious" to baste some ribs in the smoker as I type this.

Also a big fan of Russ&Franks. This is another local company and their sassy is probably my all-duty favorite. Virtually all of the local BBQ places that don't make their own sauces use Russ&Franks.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm more of a rub type of guy when it comes to bbq and grilling.

I use a concoction of Bone Sucking dry rub and some other seasoning I have - especially for chicken.

But when I do use a bbq sauce - another vote for Sweet Baby Rays - or Stubbs.

I found a really good teriyaki marinade/sauce - Kona Coast. Not watery - thicker and it really sticks to the meat and carmelizes perfectly.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.