• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    looks liek chiense calculus to me.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    No offense with radio shack, But i hate those crimp connectors, they stink and if you mess up, thier done, next please...

here is a picture of the pl259 solder connector... cphill, do you have a solder gun and know how to solder?? I know stupid question but some people can't, no big deal to learn though.. If i can find one laying around it's yours free just send me your address(if i find one)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited June 2003
    I can solder. provided its on a bench. Not had much sucess at soldering inside a car. besides, I have nowheres to plug one in. Apartment parking lot.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I was talking to my friend today. he told me to put the ant in the middle of my roof. To do that, I would have to run the wire through a door jam.
    What is the better location? The middle? Or the spot above the hatch opening?
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    how about you run the wire through the same hole as the cargo lamp in the back of the car?
    -Cody
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Well in theory the middle of the roof would create a ground plane.. thus supposidly getting out further, and receiveing better, It's all apples to apples, the back will do just fine, either way you would end up having a piece of coax run across your roof, if you mount by the hatch you will only have a small piece of cable exposed which looks better and will keep it from drying and cracking in weather over time.. Far as the connector.. just make sure the braided shielding never touches the center copper lead and make sure it's crimped real tight and you should be fine, or go to a firends house with a extension cord when your at the point of hooking the coax up, to s0lder.. either way will work if you have no choice.. Good luck
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    how about you run the wire through the same hole as the cargo lamp in the back of the car?
    -Cody

good idea,

all the CB talk makes me wanna get another rig now,
    This dang computer takes all my time and made me lose interest in cb, actually haveing to work to talk to someone instead of just instant messageing ... we have it so easy these days :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Actually, Running the wire inside the truck is not the problem. Just where do I place the antenna? Determins how the wire is run. I would like to place it on the back. i think it would look better. And probably safer for the wire. I do have a roof rack if that matters. And a Moonroof.
    Chris
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Like i said, i would do the back install, you won't lose any range really.. I wouldn't mess with running wires through the sun roof// stick with the hatch install..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Faster, Your probably right. It does look like my origional method would be better in the long run. I get a chance this weekend, I'll do it.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by faster100
    good idea,
    it was pbd's idea...so give him the credit...lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    I'm just straight pimpin the good ideas...

:p

here's a good idea -- dont buy a compaq computer -- ever.

... built like crap outa crap generic parts with crappier software drivers.

"Dude I'm wishin this was a Dell"

... got stuck fixin the woman's comp while she's away -- baked a Quantum Brand hard drive after like 2 yrs of use... how's that for a POS... glad to see HD's got cheap tho -- western digital 40 gig ws like 89 bones retail -- i talked the guy at CompUsa down to 79 though... circuit city had it on sale the week before so I sheistered him into honoring the price.

purrin like a kitten now.

back to CB radio's ...

other than like wackin out my POS cb radio with internal adjustments, is there anyway to get more range (say 25%) outa my crappy lil setup??
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    lose the glass mount antenna, and get what cphil has, after all you have a man truck right?? LOL That dodge needs a Man antenna!!! (jk) But that is what i would do, maybe a small linear amp after that.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    By the way PBD, how old are you? to be able to afford all those vehicles, LOL... I'm lucky to have my Xterra....... LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Well, I finally got my call today. Looks like I have a JOB!!!!! Just took my drug test this afternoon. Should be starting next week!!!
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I installed the Little Wil today. In the middle of the roof. Behind the moonroof. My SWR readings are 3.5 all channels. What gives?
    Thanks.
    Chris
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    connector, wires crossed i bet... check it.. so ya put it in the middle in the end huh??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I was able to fish the wire through without cutting the end off.
    Chris :confused:
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Oh, huh?????? that antenna should have a set screw to the metal antenna itself, if it does, loosen it, pull the rod out and lower about 3/4" or just past the set screw, tighten and check again.. let me know
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    way to go on teh job chris --- now as long as you're not a crack fiend, heroin addict, or do so much weed that you look like snoop dogg, you're in business.

glad to hear :)

i may get a "man" antenna for my "man" truck -- but this girly glass mount is just so "sleek and sexy" ... lmfao.

i'm 22... and who said i afforded (poor use of enligsh language but i'm tired...lol) any vehicles.

the 99 ram club cab (w/ the most audio) is my own -- that's the college fund for ya -- got a full ride to school -- took the college fund to the dodge dealer and bought this 6 months old for 17,500 + about 2,500 in extras aftermarket -- then the audio was another buttload but that was a recent addition... initally had the old (roughly 1500 - 2000 dollar) audio system, some of which is now in the other vhiecles. -- then i failed out of college (i had straight B's in a semester where my life got turned upside down and i got kicked outa the house -- but then i had to screw it up by going on "ideological protest" because i thought my professors were being jerks). ...year later i now and shelling out student loan money to go to school, but at least i dont have car payments coming.

the 99 ram quad cab is my grandfathers... initially my grandparents said "well, u are so attached to that 88 standard cab piece of crap... and u think it can make it through school...we'll buy a new truck now, we're due, and when u graduate, u can have this (trade my college fund for what would be a 4 yr old truck with probably 15 thousand miles on it) and we'll get a durango or something" -- so needless to say i picked that thing out.. notice how i have very biased taste in trucks. only thing it didn't have that i wanted was the better trannie and the 360 -- but the salesmen was being a **** and i was too ill-informed to state otherwise.

then i started having engine problems with the 88 -- and 300 dollar repair bills started swooping in every 2 weeks -- and they said "its time to give up on Old Blue" -- funny thing is -- the mechanic was **** us... breaking parts... chainging things and breaking other **** on purpose. i found this out later -- did about 50 bucks worth of work on my own -- truck ran for another year and a half without a problem till i sold it (the new one i had since bought in the interim and was gonna sell the 88 -- got kicked out teh house, and since the title to the 99 club was in my parents name due to insurance reasons, they had to 'agree' to let me take it... they couldn't -- so they **** 'repo-ed' it on my ****... so i'm sittin there going "i dump money that was supposedly mine into this and i get jack? and the 88 i just about paid for all its repairs the last 2 yrs and i still get jack?" -- so my grandfather, completely against the wishes of my mother and grandmother goes "oh looky here (in this just completely sarcastic voice) i found a title to a truck with nobody's name on it but mine... its you're lucky day..." -- hands it to me and i'm off with the 88 ... 8 months later i move back... kept drivin the 88 until we came to an agreement about how we were going to "peacefully exist" in teh house, and as a gesture of good faith i re-enrolled in school and they transferred title to the 99 club to me so it was mine 'officially' instead of just 'morally'. -- sold the 88 couple months later - and i regret that -- if i can find that truck again and i've got a thousand bucks on me, i'm buying it back. all i gotta do is find a thousand bucks. i dont care if it runs or not -- i'll make it run -- and its gotta be dirty lookin, and dented in teh back, and not well taken care of -- thats how i want it.

the 98 suby is my girlfriend's -- but, as with all things, if i dump over 2 grand in audio into something, it becomes "mine" -- in addition i basically have to hold her hand through maintenance and taking care of the thing, as well as doing the alarm/remmy start and what not -- i drive it just about every time i see her... and if she doesn't catch me singing in the shower i plan on marrying her... so... its "my" car too...lol.

the 76 caddy is our "baby" -- its been garaged for about 10 yrs now -- rotting away (more emotionally that mechanically)... i've been harpin on the old man (my grandfather) to bust it out and start working on it for years, and he hasn't wanted to -- i know why... $$$$$$$$$$, they're slashign his bethlehem steel penion hardcore... and its not gonna get any better... they've been cutting back his $ for many years now little by little. long story short, i guess i've gotten to a point where i seem 'mature' and 'knowledgeable' enough to him to say "well to hell with $, i'll do the work myself" ... so about 80% of the mech work i'm doing myself... i figure if i dont know it, he does -- he is too old to do it, but not too old to help me and tell me what to do, or i can look it up, or i can ask someone, or i'll just figure it out oen way or another... the other 20% is costing about 700 bucks... after that -- all it needs is a paint job (ouchy -- 4 grand), but it'll be well worth it... the old man will have the only car he ever really loved back and driveable, and i got a cheap excuse to put a decent sounding stereo system in a classic car... and as a result - as i stated previously - that then makes it "mine" ... hah.

:)
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    well that explains it, Now get a man antenna :D:D:D LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Today, I went back to the store. They said my High SWR reading may have been caused by the Thunder Storms last night. They used their meter and said the readings is now 1.5 on channel 1 and 40.
    Chris
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    That has 0 to do with SWR i wouldn't think, it's there item of course they will make excuses, LOL from a 3.5 to 1.5 i don't think so.. I have had antenna's in damm near hurricanes here in Florida and SWR never was effected.. now how far you can talk is actually amplified in different weather situations, Did you recheck the swr yourself or take their word?
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I just checked it Tonight. The reading is the same. I do have continuity between the mast and center pin. Mon I have to go back and have them prove my meter is wrong.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    I went back on Mon. They said it is reading 1.5. That my gauge was wrong. Took it back to Radio Shack and exchanged it. Havent tried it yet.
    Chris