PBD, Have a tech question?

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited June 2003
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    And finally. I have better pics to use now. Found I had a Macro setting for close shots.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    not too shabby -- looks good to me :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, It works. However I need to rewire the Power and Ground. Getting engine noise. I used the PowerPort just for the set-up. Can I use the Positive from the PowerPort and Ground to a metal piece inside the dash?
    Thanks
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    i dont see why not

i used the powerport for my grandfathers and got the same engine noise u're talkin about...

i did mine hardwired to batt and grounded to chassis and i dont get any noise...

my i'd say doing it the way u suggest will get rid of most if not all of the noise
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, I dont know if I mentioed it you or not. I finally have 2 job interviews tomorrow. 1:00 at ABC auto and a 3:00 at Pepboys. Man I hope I get back to work soon. I'm bored.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    pep boys is a good company to work for -- not a huge salary but it should come w/ health insurance and **** like that, and once u're in, its hard to get axed unless you really screw up a car... the pep boys shops around here are respected quite well and get a lot of business.

best of luck to you bud :)
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Happy Days are here at last!!! Looks like I am getting hired by PepBoys. As a Service Writer. They were looking for Part time help origionaly. Making a decent $10 hr. Just need to wait for the Paper work.
    Chris :)
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, Are famailar with the K30 antenna? I found one at the truck stop on Exit 7 NJTP. Only $30 with a 3' mast, 300 watt, 15' cable.
    What do you think?
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    no clue on the antenna -- but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now u can get me discount coupons...lol
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, I called K40 about that antenna. They said it would be ok. However, It does not handle the WeatherBands. Something about the way it is made. I'll have to look into the Lil Wilson or Wilson 500.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    The only place local that sells the Wilson is in Mt Holly. They wanted to sell me a Wilson 1000 with a 6' mast. Said to run the wire through the power moonroof. I am not crazy about doing that. To many risks. Broken wire, jammed moonroof, leaks. I found a place on the internet. WWW.CBSHOP.WEBTRIX.NET
    They are in Kentucky.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    i have the little wil and it works great
    -Cody
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    That's what i would get, But for 3 more feet that you won't even see, the wilson 1000 is legendary.. and far as the weather bands, will you really listen to that anyways?? that is one of the most wasteful extra's just to tack features into a simple radio.. if your traveling across country ok, but around town, worthless...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    i'm gettin sick of these glass mounts --- with some testing today i pegged my range at roughly 750 yards tops.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    If you have that CB in one of those heavy duty trucks you own, i would go with a mag mount k-40 or wilson, stylish mag mount, skinny antenna so it's not like a 102" steel whip looking, and work with no tuning and can handle an amp to boot.......
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Well, Should I get the Little Wil with a 3' mast. Or get the Wilson 500 that has a 4' mast?
    The Engine noise I am getting. Its from the Fuel Pump. Turn the key on and it whines for 3 seconds. Stops when the pump shuts off.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, You only got about 1/2 mile? I think I beat you. I was talking to a frien who had a hand held unit. Modded to 28 watts. Didnt have a good ant on it though. Was talking to him from the local Wawa down the street. Had to be at least 3/4 mile. When I get a chance, I'll try to check the mileage.
    Chris
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    it's all relative.. The mag portion of the antenna is about the same size i would think, smaller on the 3 and 4' versions and slightly larger on the 6' model.. bigger is better. the longer the better, i still have my ground plain stick on my house and its 18 feet long, do the 4 or 6 foot model, you will be glad you did.. the only difference is the wire is longer and you won't see it and no one else will hardly see it, pretty thin and transparent for looks wise.. I mean if your already gonna have aCB in the truck, and have the thing i the dash and known your a Cb'er of sorts.. why not have a good antenna to get out with??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I just got the Little Wilson today. now just need to get Linear. HeHehe.
    Chris
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Cool, so what were your likes/dislikes of the bigger antenna's/smaller antenna ?? just curious.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I think its a little scary to be driving around with a 6' whip above me. I see some vehicles using them. I have this fear of hitting something. Like a Powerline or getting hung up in a tree. Also having worked as an Auto tech, I have seen them hit the roof and bend into funny looking shapes. In fact one did shoot off like a spring.
    The little models are nice. I just hope they have the Range that I would need. Then I dont have to worry about hooking it on something.
    Chris
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    I used to work at Pep Boys. One job I did not envy was a service writer. They get bitched at by customers the most. I was parts counter and the service writers loved me because I always got thier parts for them immediately. Get in good with the service manager and the service manager will usually stick up for you if you are doing your job properly. I found that it was a fair place to work unless you had a jerk manager. That was why I left, a jerk manager.

Anyway, it's a cool place to work as long as your management is cool. They will send you for a drug test and as soon as that is done, they'll start you working and worry about paper work later.

What store did you get a job in?

Oh yeah, some advice, be nice to the parts guys and APD drivers. If they like you, they will get you parts as fast as they can. If they think you are a jerk, they'll make you wait, just because they can. Don't let the mechanics give the parts guys a hard time either 'cause they can see what mechanic is getting the parts from the pick list. They will either take forever getting the parts or, give the mechanic the wrong parts intentionally if they don't like them. Kinda sucks but it's autoparts. They don't know the meanings of the words ethics and sexual harrassment.

Oh, PBD, discounts are taken off at the register and used to require a management approval.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    The store is on Rt1 in West Windsor. I was an Auto Tech for 10 years. I think I heard most of it. New to me since I was always on the other side of the "Wall". I shouldnt say that. When I started at Kmart 10 years ago, I was Sunday Manager. And on occasion during the week. People were usually nice to me. Probably figured I was 17 and new to the trade.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    we used to have a guy out here, Mike Kalin, by far the absolute best service writer and general knowledge guy i've run into ever, that's dealers, shops, whatever, included...

he was manager at the hamburg store (25 min south of buffalo).

some jackass got senority and bought a house in hamburg so wanted a transfer... he had 5 yrs more than mike or somethin liek that, so they gave it to him and sent mike to kenmore, ny...

that's 10 minutes north of buffalo.

so basically the guy had to commute over an hour each day -- worse in snow and bad traffic... for no reason...

so.... i then commuted an hour or whatever to get my truck serviced, so did a good number of people...

then, they got mad that customers jumped stores, he was like "its not my fault" but they picked it out on him anyway.... and he eventually quit after being knocked down to "writer" from "service manager".

i dont blame him... i hope he ended up at a dealer, that guy had more respect for customers than anybody i've ever met...

i was 18, braindead, and tried to change my first headlight cuz a cop pulled me over... so i went to kmart... figured i'd buy the globey thing.... and rip the old one out -- i basically completely **** up the whole mount and ripped the spring outa the thing...

so i take it mike and say "the old man's gonna kick my ****... help me out"

hour later the light is replaced with a new one, my damaged fixed, and i've got a "bill" that says "tire air pressure check .... $ 0.00"

some people deserve much more than they'll ever get paid.... other people deserve a bullet in the brain pan.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by CPHILHOWER
    The store is on Rt1 in West Windsor. I was an Auto Tech for 10 years. I think I heard most of it. New to me since I was always on the other side of the "Wall". I shouldnt say that. When I started at Kmart 10 years ago, I was Sunday Manager. And on occasion during the week. People were usually nice to me. Probably figured I was 17 and new to the trade.
    Chris

Well, yes, you should say that. People **** differently to the service writer than they do to the mechanics. But it's always good to have a mechanic at the service desk. Hell, any knowledgable person at either service or parts! It helps out when trying to figure out what the customer is trying to tell you is wrong.

I think you'll do fine at Pep Boys. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just be courteous and fair to the customers, follow teh rules and management will back you up. Only problems I ever saw were like what PBD said about **** managers. Other than that, I think you will like it there. I did. I'd go back too if I wasn't on call. It was good money and fulfilling work. I always felt good after helping a customer out. Believe it or not, customers, no matter what thier level of automotive knowledge, are glad to get a guy who knows what he is talking about talking to them. They feel confident about thier purchase and they feel like they got a deal, even if they didn't. If you are kind, courteous and respectful, you;ll get a following. There will be customers who will call for service and ask when you are working next just so they can deal with you.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I have always talked to people as I want to be talked to. I tell everyone that. True there are places I wont deal with. Mainly because the people are a**holes.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I think I finally figured out how th run the wiring. I went to Hom Depot, Got the RCA Feed Through Bushing for cable tv wiring. Then I went to Radio Shack. Got the Coaxial stripper and new PL259 ends. I am going to drill a 3/8" hole in the Valley above the hatch opening. insert the Bushing. Cut the end off the wire. feed it through to the radio or linear (If I get one). And put a new end on it.
    So what do you all think? Is this a good plan?
    Chris
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    great plan, i suggest getting a screw together pl259 not a crimp one, they work better and can be used over and over, truck stop petro you spoke of will have them, simply strip the covering back, pull back the braiding, remove the white covering off th center cooper lead and tin with solder, stick it into the connector, solder it into the tip of the conenctor, screw down the threaded piece on the back, your done, and secure... or just get the crimp on and crimp real tight..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp