PBD, Have a tech question?

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey PBD, Do you know anything about CB radios? Mainly the ant. I am planning on putting one in my Escape. And found that Radio Shack sells an ant that looks like a Cell Phone one. Mounts to the glass just like a Cell Phone ant. No holes, No fuss. The salesman said that it wouldnt work. It is listed as a CB ant. Part #21-802
Will this work? I really dont want to drill any holes in the body to mount one. If I have to, i will probably go to a truck shop or stereo shop and have it done by someone who has done it before.
Thanks.
Chris
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I am going to try to insert a pic of the ant.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    this question wasnt directed at me but im going to butt in anyways
    I went to the website and it said its a CB antenna
    does it have the male end that screws down?
    If it does then I don't see why you wouldnt be able to use it...you can hook up a marine antenna and itll still work...
    I think the radio shack guy is full of crap. I have a Wilson antenna for my CB(magnet) and I just have the wire going through the extended cab part window...no wind noise or anything...when I get XM radio I'm going to run it through the top of the cab without going through the window...its not hard at all to do that yourself...drill a hole about half inch or so...take down the headliner part way(probably going to have to take a few panels off) and run the wire down the panel and under the carpet to the back of your CB
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    cody -- re the xm antenna -- dont use glass mount -- those things are real bitchy -- when it rains reception gets degraded and with a glass mount it wont be as good as if you just go through your rear cab parking brake light thing -- u know above the back window u got the parking brake well run the wire through there and stick the antenna to the roof with 3m doublke sided tape -- then use clear silicone around hte antenna where it sits on the metal so u dont get water in there (thus preventing rust and ****) -- run the wire through that brake light opening (might have to make a tiny slit in the plastic so the wire dont crimp) -- worked out ok for me.

chris -- re cb antenna -- well.. i ahve to of those --lol... i've two of those exact antenna - i didn't check the part number but i bought two CB glass mount antennas which lok identical to the pic you posted and i got them both at radioshack for about 24 - 29 bucks (somewhere in that range) each.

I will warn you -- they're only about 75% as good as a standard antenna, but for me, honestly, i'm much happier having a nice small glass mount antenna than a damned big **** magnet mount one--- i have mine on my back window -- same for my grandfather -- i like it better than having the magnet mount up on the roof -- its not as high and look sbetter to me and has no drilling or shoving through anywhere... so for me i like it but ifyou do a TON of CB-radioing and want the BEST range -- the standard type is best -- but if u can deal with 75% of your normal range then by all means go for the glass mount... just be sure u get at least half of the antenna (like from the part where it is 'springy' like a coil and up) above the roof of the vehicle -- or else reception wil suck.

... hope that helps :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    What this is, is more like a Car phone ant. One end sticks to the inside of the glass. the mast to the other. No holes!!! Then the wire runs to the radio.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, I want this to help keep in touch with the rest of the "Gang" It's hard driving without one and everyone else has one. I was the last to know what was going on.
    I am considering the Glass mount. mainly for the ease of install. Otherwise I'll have to go to Truck Specialty place and get one that actualy mounts (No magnet).
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    actually i already have holes drilled into the top from the previous owner...so im just doing to use those with some adhesive weather stripping...wasnt planning on getting the glass mount for XM...I was going to get the regular cuz ive heard bad things about them too
    and chris....just run the wire under your carpet to the back of your cb and youre set...i dont think youll have any problems with that antenna...if you do they have like a 30 day exchange so you can just take it back
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    as far as keeping up with the rest of the gang...you could always "doctor" your cb to put out more power...its illegal...but its not like anyone checks...and i promise not to tell...lol
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I just purchased one today from Radio Shack. The model that normally sells for $99. Got for $69. Just need to get an Ant. and the time to do it. Features the Compass, NWS, ACE. The mid line model.

Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    i have a PA on mine...lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    how do u doctor a cb to put out more juice and get better recpt / tranmission ?? -- this u must tell me so as that I can doctor mine as well.. :)

ya the glass mount types aren't too bad -- i'm happy so far w/ mine like i said, just wish i had a little better performance in shitville (buffalo) -- it worked fine on down to florida last easter, but its kinda wimpy around here --mainly cuz there's no too many people on the horn i think.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, I did get the antenae today. What is the SWR meter that they are reffeing to? I ask because it has an adjustment screw on the piece that mounts inside the glass.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    PBD
    heres a couple of sites that tell you how...
    http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/guadelupe/29/id20.htm
    http://www.radiomods.co.nz/modspage.html
    try the radiomods link first...if you still are a little confused...just go to any search engine and type in CB radio modifications
    but remember, the stuff on those sites are strictly for informational purposes...SURE...
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I think I am going to mount the ant. on the right rear fixed glass. In the top corner towards the rear. The cable is 17' long. Should reach. I had a 17' RCA that went from the radio to the sub amp in the trunk and still had about 3 or 4' left over. The cb will be mounted in the compartment under the middle of the dash. In front of the center console. Thinking about using a Cigar lighter plu for the power and ground. Just plugit into the Power Port. Would make for easier removal (If needed) down the road. Just need to move my RF Bass knob to the compartment above. its too small for anything else anyways.
    Can I run the ant wire next to the rca cables? Obviously, I wouldnt be using the radio at the same time. They are Monster Cable Micro XLN.
    Chris
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Let me chime in here, I usually post on the home audio board..
    I was into CB for years and have just recently sold all my gear actually a year or so ago.. I would say for the serious CB'er the glassmount will be mediocre at best.. The SWR meter you mention is a standing wave ratio meter for the antenna.. the swr's are measured by the lenghth of the antenna and in mobile applications even the cable can effect SWR, The lower the SWR the less resistance and thus you transmit and receive better.. Get a cheap swr meter, set up the rig and return , you will most likely never use it again unless you change something or are into it more then i am assuming. Far as peaking and tuneing a cb, ya gotta have a swr/watt meter first of all.. and i can't be taught over the computer.. If i had it in front of me it would be a snap. Their are coils in the back inside of the radio that you can spread apart or clamp together(copper coil) and also cans with wax covered on them that you adjust to raise and lower the dead key watts and the modulation to get the watts to swing, which means when you get that cb it will maybe do 3-5 watts per Fcc rules for CB band.. you can most likely make it key 5-7 watts and swing to 10-15 watts.. and although its fcc rules, I can tell you a cb in your truck wont be the subject of a FCC stakeout.. I have had friends with tube linear amps get busted for excesive wattage like 2kw or more.. and that is a whole different story..

also, don't have your system on when you use the cb, it will most likely always feedback through the speakers causeing them to pop and such noise.. I have been into the cb thing for a long time and if you need any help e-mail me to post back here and i will be glad to help.. I hope i didn't get to far ahead and into to much lingo.. I love this stuff and get carried away..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Thanks. Looks like I need to get an SWR meter. The Kids at Radio Shack didnt know anything. One guy said the Glass mount would burn out the cb. Another had no idea what I was asking for. He was showing me standard DVM's. Not the SWR.
    I want the glass mount for my Escape. I dont like Magnet mounts. No wheres really to mount a mast. I am not fond of the idea to drill a hole in my roof.
    I am in an area that has like no Truck shops. Only a couple of Speed shops. Car stereo shops are useless around me.
    Thanks.
    Chris
    C.J.PHILHOWER@WORLDNET.ATT.NET
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    cody - thanks much for the links i'll be printing them out soon (heheheheh :) )

chris - i had no idea what the SWM was -- glad to see our CB friend chimed in... i had just left my set screws where they were when the antenna was purchased and hoped for the best... i know thats kinda ghetto but i'm not on the thing 24-7 so i didn't really give too much a care.

as was stated - flip the radio / amps off when the cb is on -- power lines and patch cables will cause sick intereference for the CB. i susualy get static if its on.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, Did you find what you were looking for? I looked and only found how to change the freq band. not the watts.
    Chris
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    do a search for the actual model cb you have, on yahoo .. that's where i find alot of links and info. you will need a picture or schematic of the inside and what cans and coils to turn, and these items are numbered, usually vr1 vr5 what ever.. ie: VR=variable resister.. for like audio and power.. or send it here and i will do it, LOL ...... just send the meter also.. haha!! wish i would have kept some of my gear and test equipment.. just the computers took over my life and lost interest in CB,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I just got the Radio Shack model TRC520 Part #21-1710 and the #21-802 antenna. Didnt see them mentioned on the mods page.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    chris -- i aint even read the link yet -- i'm busy as hell over here -- im gonna check em out after i get done w/ the caddy / my midterm in probability/ this alarm / and cody's amp.

--- i've got a full plate -- and that's not counting the bitchin **** steaks i cooked today --- Goya Adobo, Jack Daniel's Chargrilling Sauce, and fresh cut sirloin -- good ****.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I just returned the Glass mount ant. Found out it wont work because of my tinted glass. Just got a Magnet mount with FiberGlass whip instead.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Well here is my 4th atempt at posting a pic of the radio in my dash.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    hey nice mounting job :) !!

looks good

oh u do know that if you just peeled off a square section of your tint that it would work fine right? -- razor blade and your fingernail -- works like a charm.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    The unit fits very tight. The "Thumb Screws" filled in the rest of the gap. Used an X-acto knife to cut the hole for the ant lead. I am going to Calibrate the compass today. Havent put the ant in yet. I'm just leary of a Magnet mount.
    The tint is factory smoked glass. Not aftermarket. Not sure what its made of. Think maybe smoked glass.
    BTW, E-mail me at: C.J.PHILHOWER@WORLDNET.ATT.NET I found something you might be intersted in.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    I went to a stereo shop today. He concurs with your opinion. The glass mount on my truck would be the best style. So I exchanged the magnet mount for what I started with. Just need time to install. And the weather on my side.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    ive heard that if you run your cb without an antenna youll burn up your cb...dont know if its a fact...but if you havent hooked up your antenna yet...better safe than sorry
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    It will probably take about 1 hr or so to run the cable from the Right rear fixed glass to the back of the unit. Then I would just need to mount the mast. Maybe I'll do it this weekend when its supposed to be warm and dry.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    It's finally done. I have the SWR set for 1.1. The best I can manage.
    PBD, You said you have 2 of these antenna's. I checked the Radio Shack website. They have 2 different models. I have the longer version. The other looks like it. But is a couple of inches shorter.
    Ran the wire along with my RCA leads. Should be alright. Since I dont plan on using both together.
    Does anyone know the range of the NWS channels? I think I am picking up Lewes Del. And somebody else on 162.425Mhz. (Not sure who) talking about 50 knot winds offshore.
    Now I just need to find a small amp. HeHe.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    PBD, On a side note. I have 2 job interviews set-up for Mon. 1:00 at ABC Auto Parts in Burlington. And a 3:00 at PepBoys in West Windsor. Opersite directions from each other. One North. One South of me.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited June 2003
    Here is a couple of pics of the install.
    Chris