What are those Monitor Series II speaker line?

Options
124»

Comments

• DocCasualty
    DocCasualty Posts: 8
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Yes, these are excellent speakers for a decent price.

Yeah, heck of a buy, don't hesitate. I'd do it again.

Mine just arrived today from Newegg and I couldn't be happier. Pair of M60s as mains, CS2 center and M30s for surrounds (all MonitorxxB II). These are replacing a 15 year old Bose setup (AM500, V100 center, V300 surrounds) and definitely a big step up in performance. I'm still using my Paradigm PDR-10 (early version) subwoofer and an Onkyo SR500 AVR.

These are very efficient speakers and the sound is awesome. This older Onkyo only outputs 65W/channel and I have the volume just past halfway for typical movie/music listening, compared to 2/3 with the old speakers.

I was waffling between the M60s and M70s but think I made the right choice. There is plenty of bass with these 60s and the sub is there to cover low. This is in a great room, approximately 30'X30' with a cathedral ceiling (listening area ~15'X15') and for some reason very bass responsive.

I was looking at the TSi's and listened to them locally when I learned of the Newegg Monitors and glad I did, leading to over $500 in savings for the same thing! I'm sure for a lot more money you could obtain better sound but this is the deal of the decade IMHO.
  • 67jason
    67jason Posts: 57
    edited March 2011
    Options
    .....but this is the deal of the decade IMHO.

understatement of the decade right there :biggrin:
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I have to chime in here, I have had my new set up for a while now.I am very happy with my newegg purchase.Monitor 70II,40s and cs1 they sound great and seem to sound better the more time I get on them.My only regret is my center, should have gone with the cs2.But this is my first upgrade in 20 years so I am very happy.My wife is also happy with this setup, she is the one who loves the volume way up.Whats next I think a sub and who knows from there.
  • Almadacr
    Almadacr Posts: 185
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I also got mines ( monitor 60 and CS1 ) from newegg Tuesday and loving it the wife likes more the look :smile: .
  • NewHTguy
    NewHTguy Posts: 584
    edited March 2011
    Options
    palehorse wrote: »
    What sucks for me is that I just purchased a pair of the old black 70's five days ago from Newegg, with the hope of picking up the OLD CS2 to match as soon as they came back in stock (which was previously scheduled for August 3rd on Newegg's own website). Now, I can't find a matching center to save my life -- and the prices of the refurbished models on eBay are skyrocketing with each new auction! DOH!!

So now what? Buy a mismatched "new color" CS2 for nearly twice the old price? ouch... :(

PS: Anyone have a Series I CS2 for sale? lol...

Why not just go with the CS20? The shiny black ends may actually look better with a flat screen above or below
    MAIN: Polk Lsi9s; Polk PSW505; Lsic (in box); Onkyo SR-875; Parasound 2250; Cambridge Audio 740C; LG BD370
    OFFICE: Polk Lsi7; REL T3; HK 3490; CA 840W; Onkyo C-S5VL
    BENCHED: CS20; OWM3s
  • DocCasualty
    DocCasualty Posts: 8
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Oldfatdogs wrote: »
    My wife is also happy with this setup
    I was half-thinking my wife was going to say "and you bought these why?" but instead was pleasantly surprised when she said "wow, those sound different!".
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Mine just arrived today from Newegg and I couldn't be happier. Pair of M60s as mains, CS2 center and M30s for surrounds
    I was waffling between the M60s and M70s but think I made the right choice.

Solid speaker choice, congrats. Anytime you get what you want, you've always made the "right" choice :cool:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Elvinkneekapper
    Elvinkneekapper Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Just purchased the Monitor 40s and CS2 to replace my fronts.

Upgrading from the RM6750 for the living room. Live in a small townhouse, living room is 14 x 10. Planning on moving into a house next year and doing a dedicated HT setup on a budget then. Currently running through a Denon AVR591

Plan then is to buy Monitor 70s for the front and move 40s to surround.
  • slk55amg
    slk55amg Posts: 305
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Your going to love the 70,s for fronts. I used mine as fronts for a number of years, now they are doing surround duty and remain an outstanding speaker.
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550
  • Rschooley
    Rschooley Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Don't know if I'm too late, but I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I bought the CS2 from Fry's about 4 years ago and was SO impressed with the difference it made in my home theater system. I was on newegg a few months ago and stumbled across these monitor Series II speakers and there was a deal going on at the time so I picked up a set of 70's in cherry. I thought they were discontinuing the Monitor series and I wanted to match my center so I jumped on them (later to find it is a permanent line for newegg). Note: I bought them solely based on my experience with the CS2 and without ever having heard them. I never do that, but I was sure they would sound great, and sure enough, they sound amazing. I think I am most amazed at the price. I paid 355 for two out the door (or should I say to my door) and I think they sound every bit as good as the new TSi500's that are more than twice the price. (I listened to those in Fry's in Vegas while driving through).

I mean, these are audiophile grade speakers (maybe entry level audiophile,but still) and you only have to spend a few hundred bucks?!?! It is literally a steal. Now I'm saving for a set of 40's for my bedroom setup. BTW: Anyone have experience with the PSW10 - I'm looking at that for my bedroom system too. It's only $100 but I don't need to fill a concert hall, just my bedroom. You can't go wrong with this line from Polk/Newegg.
  • krauley
    krauley Posts: 81
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Rschooley wrote: »
    BTW: Anyone have experience with the PSW10 - I'm looking at that for my bedroom system too. It's only $100 but I don't need to fill a concert hall, just my bedroom. You can't go wrong with this line from Polk/Newegg.

why not wait for the psw505 @ newegg to go on sale. you say its for your bedroom but why not get it and be "futureproofed" in case you move it out of your bedroom. I started with the psw10 and just felt like it didnt have enough power or low end to match the rest of my system. The psw505 has been on sale for as low as $199 @ the egg :biggrin:
    Onkyo 808
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Polk Audio M70s fronts
    Polk Audio Cs1 center
    Polk Audio 50s surrounds
    Polk Audio 30s backs
    Polk Audio Psw505 sub
    Polk Audio Psw10 sub
    Oppo BDP-93
    PS3 slim 250gb
    Vizio 55" Led-lcd
    HTPC Evga P55/Intel i7-860/Evga 260 Sli
  • jpena53
    jpena53 Posts: 68
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I have had no luck finding the PSW505 anywhere. I am holding for that. If I can't find one in the next month then i will buy the PSW110
    Fronts: Monitor 20s
    Center: CS2
    Rear: Monitor 30s
    Sub: PSW505
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-521K

My first true audio setup :smile:

Current Upgrade Plans
    Fronts: Monitor 70s
    Center: CS2
    Rear: Monitor 50s
    Sub: PSW505
    AVR: ???? No idea yet
  • atlanticjay
    atlanticjay Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hi, all - New to Club Polk. Sorry to revive a thread from a couple months ago, but I thought this was the best place.

I am in the process of building my first HT system. Basement room (21 x 18 x 8) is in the works for living/TV/HT room. Still bare studs right now - starting from the ground up, going in wall wiring, etc.

My first purchase for the system is a Yamaha RX-A800. Got a great deal on an E-Bay auction. Awaiting delivery now.

Spent alot of time researching various speakers - Paradigm, Klipsch, Polk, even Jamo. Decided Polk is probably the best value/quality for the budget I'm trying to work within.

NewEgg Canada carries the Polk Monitor xx series II speakers, as does NewEgg US. I've read a lot of posts about these - the reviews are pretty good - I'm watching for the next big sale to come around.

My original thought is 60's for mains, CS2 center and 40's for rear (due to unavoidable window placement on one side of the room, I can't do traditional sides for 5.1). May go 7.1 and add 2 in-ceiling RCi60's or 80's.

The other night I got to taking some measurements, looking at placement options, and I am now thinking I could have a difficult time getting a decent wall-mounted placement for one of the back 40's, as I had planned (another window).

I have room to go with 50's for the backs, so I may end up going that route, rather than the 40's on stands. The question then is, if I go rear 50's should I then go with 70's for the fronts? In short, are the 60's and 50's too similar to be fronts and rears, respectively?

I've also read that the 70's can benefit from a healthy dose of clean power. In a 7.1 setup, with 70 fronts and 50 rears, not sure if the RX-A800 I bought (rated 95W p ch) will have enough oomph - would I need to add a separate amp to power the front soundstage?

Sorry for the long post, but as you can see, I need alot of help!
    First HT system in progress:

AVR - Yamaha RX-A800
    Front - Polk ?? -TBD
    Center - Polk ?? - TBD
    Rear - Polk?? - TBD
    Surround - Polk?? - TBD
    Samsung PN63C8000 (3D)
    Samsung BDP6900 3D Blu-ray
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'd go with 60's, cs2, and 50's and your receiver should be able to drive them. If you go with 70's you'd probably want an external amp so they sound their best. You can't have enough clean power.
  • ibewbrother
    ibewbrother Posts: 186
    edited July 2011
    Options
    +1

I have the series 2 70's running off my TFM-45...external amplification makes a world of difference. My CS2 and 40's are running on the A-753. There is a world of difference between powering these speakers with an avr and powering them with some True power.
    "Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics." BillD

Pioneer Elite SC-57
    M70 series 2 mains
    CS2 center
    M40 surround
    M30 front height
    SVS PB 12 NSD

Carver TFM-45 (mains)
    Carver A753x (center, surround)

320GB PS3, 42" Panasonic G10,

M60's as a Zone 2 off of the Pioneer in the living room

R.I.P. Onkyo TX-NR807
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Just a personal observation:

I hooked up my m70s to a 200w/ch amp and the cs2 to a bridged hca1000 which is suppose to push 400w when bridged. I watched a martial arts movie on this setup, and was really surprised how all this power really made every kick, slap and punch sound so REAL! You can literally almost FEEL the force of the punch fill the room. I have never gotten that affect from my m70s or the cs2, not running off the avr alone, not even when I had the m70s running on the hca1000, which makes 125w.ch in 2 ch mode.

Moral of the story, power makes a BIG difference, especially for m70s!
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • piker
    piker Posts: 101
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I agree... power is everything for good dynamics with the M70's. My only regret now is that I had kept my Onkyo TX-SR606 instead of upgrading to the 808. The new receiver seems to want to keep the volume of everything at a constant. It's strange because some gunshots sound like they are being lowered in volume and then voices mixed in with the gunfire are brought up in volume to match the level of the shots being fired... I think it's something to do with the MultEQ and other settings. Problem is if I turn off these features, then all the dynamics are much less subtle.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-NR808
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts x 5
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Polk CS2 Series II
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4
    HDTV: 73" Mitsubishi DLP-73740 3D-ready
    PS3, 2x XBOX 360, Wii U, Gaming PC.
  • atlanticjay
    atlanticjay Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

Would you consider an external amp even for the 60s? I was checking out the Emotiva XPA-3 online this morning - gets a bit pricier because I'm in Canada, but I might be able to pick one up used that is already in the country.

Also, I do plan on running a sub - I've been thinking about the PSW505 or the Velodyne DLS-4000 or 5000). That said, do I get much "extra" going the 70s over the 60s?

Usage will be 90% or more TV/HT - little music listening or gaming.
    First HT system in progress:

AVR - Yamaha RX-A800
    Front - Polk ?? -TBD
    Center - Polk ?? - TBD
    Rear - Polk?? - TBD
    Surround - Polk?? - TBD
    Samsung PN63C8000 (3D)
    Samsung BDP6900 3D Blu-ray
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited July 2011
    Options
    M60s will have a lesser need for an amp, but will sound better if you add one anyway...

For HT purposes and your room size, M70s will provide a larger sound stage over m60s, but without amplifier power they won't make the difference in movies that a good sub will in combination with m60s. If however you plan on getting an amp, go with m70s and buy a sub later when you can afford one.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I ran the 60's off a Yamaha Rxv1800 and they sounded pretty good.