What are those Monitor Series II speaker line?

Options

Comments

• ZeroCoolPolks
    ZeroCoolPolks Posts: 53
    edited July 2010
    Options
    T90e's, as far as I can see, are Modified Density Fiberboard that can be made to look and feel like wood. The T90e's are in fact real wood grain to sight & the touch (has a grain in it with depth) with a thick black coating.

Don't confuse MDF with composite or fiberboard in construction applications it's no where near the same thing. MDF can be made very strong with a grain patten in it. That's what's so good about MDF.

T90e's are more real wood looking than Monitor's which are painted or stained not vinyl - Non-resonant all-MDF enclosure construction with ¾"-thick baffles and front–to-back and side-to-side internal bracing ensures cleaner, clearer, more lifelike sound quality.

Monitor Blacks 60's or 70's which are vinyl (darn excellent vinyl job) - which are Non-resonant all-MDF enclosure construction with ¾"-thick baffles and front–to-back and side-to-side internal bracing ensures cleaner, clearer, more lifelike sound quality.

T90e pictures here in the archive section look like vinyl, like Monitors finish & don't look like the ones I have.

Oh well.
  • bigstereo
    bigstereo Posts: 77
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Mine will be delivered tommorrow afternoon so I'll let y'all know if their real wood veneer or not.
  • ZeroCoolPolks
    edited July 2010
    Options
    My T90e's have the same Black wood finish as a PSW505
  • yepimonfire
    yepimonfire Posts: 256
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i just talked with a CSR from polk and they are a permanent line exclusive to newegg, not some euro models, so i dont think we will have to worry about "snatchin em up" the only differences is just cosmetic.
  • DaveHCYJ
    DaveHCYJ Posts: 89
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i just talked with a CSR from polk and they are a permanent line exclusive to newegg, not some euro models, so i dont think we will have to worry about "snatchin em up" the only differences is just cosmetic.

Very cool. I guess its their way of keeping a budget friendly speaker out there as the original monitor supplies dry up.

I do find it a bit strange that they took an old speaker design and updated it though... I mean they already took the monitor line and updated it to create the TSi line, why do it again?
  • yepimonfire
    edited July 2010
    Options
    well the series II monitors are obviously cheaper.
  • ZeroCoolPolks
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Tsi have bottom ported cabinets
    I rather have the ports in the front like original Monitor & II series

The reason I mentioned the T90e is the same as the PSW505 is for the wood finish and they are not a vinyl finish and cause it's stated on the II series it's real wood, I'll still say the II's are vinyl till someone posts here:)

It's what ever U like, finish design, but they all sound really really good
  • ZeroCoolPolks
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Saw the pics, so the only two differences are 1.) the feet are black and 2.) the speaker face board is black instead of pewter gray.
    Read that the tweeter is exactly the same as the monitor line, it was just marketing jargon, just like saying the II's are real wood and in fact they are vinyl. In the past I saw retailers state the older Monitor Series were real wood.
    Mystery solved.
  • yepimonfire
    edited July 2010
    Options
    bottom ported??? i'm not a fan of any sort of rear ported bottom ported or ported anywhere but the front, too many problems with phase and standing wave issues.
  • bigstereo
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I unboxed a pair of M70 II's yesterday.
    The finish kind of looks like real wood veneer to me because it does have a slight texture (grain) in it but it does'nt feel like wood. Its hard to tell. Could be vinyl.

Anyhow they look good. They sound good. I set them up as stereo mains in my 2.0 surround system LOL.
    Plenty of bass, tweeters not overly bright. I like them. I'm guessing they'll be a little better after break in.
  • spock 2054
    spock 2054 Posts: 163
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The Monitor 60B's are 134.99 with promo code EMCYVNP58 at newegg good til 7/29/10
    polk monitor 70's
    center - polk monitor cs2
    surround - polk monitor 60's
    surround back - jbl e10
    sub - velodyne dps 12
    sub - polk psw110
    avr/pre-amp - onkyo tx-nr809
    amp - adcom gfa-5500
    amp - carver av405
    display - sharp lc70le847u
    tv - silicon dust hd homern
    blu-ray - oppo bdp-103
    hd dvd- toshiba hd xa2
    control - logitech harmony one
    turntable - technics sl1500 mkII
  • sam1233
    sam1233 Posts: 31
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Regular Monitor 60s used to sell for $139 (2 weeks before), and with coupon went to $99 before.

Now current Monitor II series 60, $134. I would expect it could go to $99 soon(with coupon) with in a month lol..
    Denon 2310CI
    Fronts: Polk Audio M70
    Front Height: Polk Audio M30 (PL IIz Height)
    Center: Polk Audio CS2
    Surround: Polk Audio M60
    Panamax M4300 power conditioner

Pioneer KRP-500M Kuro Plasma 50 Inch(Love it!)
    Oppo 83 blu ray player
    Roku Xr (Enjoying Pandora, Netflix and many..)
    DTV-5000HD(Electronic Master,renamed from Digiwave) HD TV tuner
  • ZeroCoolPolks
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Speculative: The Monitor II series prices will continue to fall to move volume.
    I think they will.

Factual:
    You can ask Egg to sell brands & products U like for low prices.
    They may or may not do what U ask.
    Profit, volume of sales & new customers driven to their site are factors.
    Notice no one else could lower their Polk speaker prices like Egg did & does at
    their frequency. All though some will match prices and run sales.

I liked the all black scheme on the T90e's I had purchased first.

So I asked for black face boards and black feet on Monitors, as a promo run,
    3 months later, WA LA, like magic.
    I should have asked for black speaker mounting rings also :eek:

I have been pleased and some what surprised at the extent Egg will go to satisfy customers. I also asked them to carry the RTIA series, with huge discounts, 5 months before it showed up at their site.

They may have had several requests for the same things I asked for from other customers, anyway IT’S AWESOME..

I don't work 4 Egg or Polk

I love Polk Audio's customer service: Excellent always.
    And love the Egg. Excellent all around.

Thought some may find this info interesting.

Hope I didn't violate any forum rules, if so I'll edit this post.

Love this forum.
    Happy Polking
  • lessthanzero
    lessthanzero Posts: 31
    edited July 2010
    Options
    spock 2054 wrote: »
    The Monitor 60B's are 134.99 with promo code EMCYVNP58 at newegg good til 7/29/10

Thanks for that info, but where did you get the promo code for the M60 II? I have been signed up with Newegg to be notified of all of their promotions, and have not seen that code..!! Is there some "magical" place I have to go to find the "good" codes on the Polk speakers?? Keep those good promo codes coming.........!!
  • ZeroCoolPolks
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Having 4 email addresses helps to get codes quickly.
    Not all 4 addresses will get the same offers at the same time.

There are a few deal tracking websites for good deals.
  • lessthanzero
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Having 4 email addresses helps to get codes quickly.
    Not all 4 addresses will get the same offers at the same time.

There are a few deal tracking websites for good deals.

I know what you mean, I have two email addresses and see some discrepancies in their offerings from time-to-time. Anyway, I ordered the Monitor 60II's tonight, now I can hardly wait to get them.....I seem to be a
    rabid Polk Audio fan..!!
  • spock 2054
    spock 2054 Posts: 163
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Thanks for that info, but where did you get the promo code for the M60 II? I have been signed up with Newegg to be notified of all of their promotions, and have not seen that code..!! Is there some "magical" place I have to go to find the "good" codes on the Polk speakers?? Keep those good promo codes coming.........!!

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/July-0-2010/AllStarSale/C/index-landing.html?nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=2138476&SID=dl-116564-s-gos
    polk monitor 70's
    center - polk monitor cs2
    surround - polk monitor 60's
    surround back - jbl e10
    sub - velodyne dps 12
    sub - polk psw110
    avr/pre-amp - onkyo tx-nr809
    amp - adcom gfa-5500
    amp - carver av405
    display - sharp lc70le847u
    tv - silicon dust hd homern
    blu-ray - oppo bdp-103
    hd dvd- toshiba hd xa2
    control - logitech harmony one
    turntable - technics sl1500 mkII
  • ZeroCoolPolks
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That CS1 II Black in the ad will timber match the 60's, don't know what color your 60's R
  • lessthanzero
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That CS1 II Black in the ad will timber match the 60's, don't know what color your 60's R

I would like the CS-2II. I have the CS-1 now and really like it, I replaced a JBL center with the Polk Audio CS-1 and it really made a big difference. I like the black speakers for my fronts, but I got a really good deal from Polk eBay on a set of M10's cherry that I use for my surrounds, and they sound really great.
    I cannot find a sale price on the CS-2II's on Newegg, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'm waiting on the M-60II which should be here on Wednesday.......OOOPS, just noticed you did mention the CS1 II and not the CS2...............I think I need another beer....!!
  • ZeroCoolPolks
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I wrote on 7-25 "Speculative: The Monitor II series prices will continue to fall to move volume.
    I think they will."

AND TODAY 7-27:

Polk Audio Monitor60C Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Cherry)
    Were 179.99 100 off a pair,
    Your Price: $129.99
    With Promo Code EMCYVNV67
    at egg till 8-2

I Paid 260 for 2 T90e's Black real MDF wood, last year.

Happy Polking,
    Great Speakers & Excellent Customer Service
  • lessthanzero
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I just got my Monitor 60-II"s shipped from Newegg. Came in perfect condition, and they sure look good.....!! They actually look like better construction than the Monitor 50's they replaced...I dunno, seems more substantial and better feet?? But I can say they sure look so much better than the old Monitor series. Sounds good too, but I anticipate they will even sound better once they are "conditioned". I just like the sound from the Monitors, and the Pioneer Elite is doing a great job driving........
  • SivaNevets
    SivaNevets Posts: 303
    edited August 2010
    Options
    just wondering hows the cherry vinyl looks like on monitor ii series? :)

i just got my monitor 40b II came in last night, its wood vinyl just like M10 or psw10, not comparable to the RTI line. the grain looks pretty fake but cannot tell from a distance.

im thinking to grab a pair for my parents as xmas gift, they just got a nice new dark brown oak floors, im wondering hows the cherry finish look on the monitor series. which would be a better choice?
    Front: Martinlogan ESL
    Center: Martinlogan Stage
    Rear: Martinlogan Motion 4
    Sub: Martinlogan Grotto-I
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 1523K

PC 2 Channel: Polk LSI7
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • bigstereo
    edited August 2010
    Options
    SivaNevets wrote: »
    just wondering hows the cherry vinyl looks like on monitor ii series? :)

It almost looks like veneer.;)
  • iraglennsiegel
    iraglennsiegel Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Options
    This is an excerpt from the NewEgg website regarding the Polk Monitor 70 Series 2. They have 'vinyl veneer finishes'. They look like wood in the pictures but they are NOT wood veneer. They are plastic, just like on the Polk Monitor 70 (not Series 2). No significant difference between Series 1 and Series 2.
  • yepimonfire
    edited October 2010
    Options
    This is an excerpt from the NewEgg website regarding the Polk Monitor 70 Series 2. They have 'vinyl veneer finishes'. They look like wood in the pictures but they are NOT wood veneer. They are plastic, just like on the Polk Monitor 70 (not Series 2). No significant difference between Series 1 and Series 2.

well the fact they don't have that ugly silver faceplate is pretty significant.
  • echoofformless
    echoofformless Posts: 28
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Mine (70's) came yesterday and they are beautiful. Good solid black, all-business color scheme and a warm sound. I only wish I had considered these in the first place rather than the original silver faced ones that are now my rear speakers.
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Does anyone have any 'sound' reviews on these speakers after owning them for a few months? I will be pairing them with a CJ MF 200 and a Marantz Preamp for stereo listening [at least at first] only.

Newegg currently has them at $179.00/ea.

Thanks for your input!
  • sterlingdax
    sterlingdax Posts: 5
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, sorry about the dredged up thread, but it seems pertinent to the topic. Never had a decent stereo/home theater setup before, so was looking to build one piece by piece, and these look to be a good place to start :)
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,166
    edited March 2011
    Options
    wapow wrote: »
    Does anyone have any 'sound' reviews on these speakers after owning them for a few months?
    Thanks for your input!
    I was wondering the same thing, sorry about the dredged up thread, but it seems pertinent to the topic. Never had a decent stereo/home theater setup before, so was looking to build one piece by piece, and these look to be a good place to start :)

Yes, these are excellent speakers for a decent price. I've built these piece by piece myself starting with the 30's, then adding the CS2, then the 70's and finally the 40's.

I've owned the 40's for a couple of months, the 70's since Christmas and the 30's and CS2 for about 7 months or so.

The sound keeps getting better as they break in. My biggest surprise is the little 30's, they reproduce incredible sound just being used as surrounds.

These and two subs are powered by an Onkyo 807 and fair quite well in my medium sized bedroom (14.5 x 10.5). I can go as far as 1/2 volume but have to turn it down to a quarter to one third as it can get quite over whelming.

Yeah, heck of a buy, don't hesitate. I'd do it again.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman