I had a MW6501 driver drop on my head.

headrott
headrott Posts: 5,496
edited July 2010 in The Clubhouse
While trying to get the MW6501 driver (which at the time I thought was an MW6503) out of my right 3.1TL, I unscrewed it but it didnn't want to come out of the cabinet. I reached into the cabinet through the PR hole while laying on my back to reach all the way up and push the driver out. I pushed, and the driver popped out of the cabinet right onto my head. OUCH! It left about a 3/4 inch gash on my forehead. That was a first. I'll have to move quicker next time. I can see the jokes coming now.

Greg
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
Post edited by headrott on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2010
    Maybe you can get a lawyer to create some kind of presidance and create a frivolous lawsuit against Polk for not having a warning on the cabinet telling you not to do that!:eek:

Any stitches required?
  • headrott
    edited July 2010
    LOL. Yeah, it would go along with all the other frivolous lawsuits around Joe. I could possibly get millions!!!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2010
    headrott wrote: »
    LOL. Yeah, it would go along with all the other frivolous lawsuits around Joe. I could possibly get millions!!!

Sure, how dare they not tell you to do something dumb like that with their heavy speakers and heavy drivers. The least they could have done was provide you with a contractors helmet to avoid such negligence on their part. It's a cut and dry case you have there! LMAO!!!:D
  • headrott
    edited July 2010
    LOL! You are a riot Joe! Thanks for a good laugh.

Greg

Edit:
    No, I don't think it'll need stiches. Just no more drivers dropping on it.:D
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited July 2010
    GEEZ!!! I hope you didn't knock the magnet structure loose
  • headrott
    edited July 2010
    HB27 wrote: »
    GEEZ!!! I hope you didn't knock the magnet structure loose

Nope, it was JBWelded.;):D

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2010
    Are you sure your screen name isn't Rivrrat?

That sounds like something I would do. :p
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • woodguru
    woodguru Posts: 76
    edited July 2010
    That sounds like the fat lip I got from a drill driver while laying on the floor using a nut driver to tighten a door bracket nut. It hit the end of it's travel and twisted hard enough to pop me in the mouth, good thing it hit my lip and not a tooth or it would have broken it.

By the way, my wife had to laugh and thought it was a scream thinking about explaining the fat lip as getting beat up by a Ridgid drill driver.
    You aren't done with wire and ready for upgrades and other tweaks until you are totally done with wire.
    Keith 2006
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,315
    edited July 2010
    Maybe you can get a lawyer to create some kind of presidance and create a frivolous lawsuit against Polk for not having a warning on the cabinet telling you not to do that!:eek:

Any stitches required?

The only way he could get damages would be if there was something actually damaged. To make a case for brain damage, one must first prove the existance of his brain. Laying under a speaker and pushing the driver out of the opening without anything to secure it creates a "plausible deniability" scenario in which a case could be made to demonstrate the lack of a brain and thus negating any claim.:D;):p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited July 2010

Any stitches required?
    Sure Joe.:rolleyes: then since it was your suggestion you can deal with the angry throngs of Polkies disgruntled because the supply of replacement drivers ceases to exist.:D
  • Janne
    Janne Posts: 139
    edited July 2010
    Thank God the driver is ok! :)

Well I got my first golf ball wacked in my head last Sunday. Luckily it bounced one time before it hit. Otherwise I don't believe I would be typing right now. Still managed a 9 on the par 3. After 367 apologies by the Japanese guy I let him off with a warning.:mad: Coincidently my friend beat me for the first time in a year. :eek: Can smell some conspiracy here.:rolleyes:
    HT/2 CH
    McIntosh MX120, MC500, MC206, MEN220
    polkaudio SDA SRS 1.2TL, XO, Inductor, Tweeter, Larry's rings, WBT Binding posts, Moretite and Dynamat mod. Built by Mollie Jones 27:th of February 1991, CS350-LS XO mod, LS-f/x, DSW MicroPro 4000
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 Bi-wire SC, Shotgun S3.3 SC, Shotgun S3.3 Proline IC, Shotgun S3.3 IC, Shotgun S3.3 Sub cable, AVT 1 Optical IC, EXP 3 Speaker interconnect.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2010
    FTGV wrote: »
    Sure Joe.:rolleyes: then since it was your suggestion you can deal with the angry throngs of Polkies disgruntled because the supply of replacement drivers ceases to exist.:D

Not my idea, somebody hacked my account and wrote those lawsuit posts!:D:p That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

That kind of lawsuit would be akin to the McDonald's coffee is too hot lawsuit!:rolleyes:
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited July 2010
    That's nothing. I dropped a clutch disc on my crotch during a recent tranny change while pulling the pressure plate. It's not a hobby till it makes you bleed lol ;)
    While trying to get the MW6501 driver (which at the time I thought was an MW6503) out of my right 3.1TL, I unscrewed it but it didnn't want to come out of the cabinet. I reached into the cabinet through the PR hole while laying on my back to reach all the way up and push the driver out. I pushed, and the driver popped out of the cabinet right onto my head. OUCH! It left about a 3/4 inch gash on my forehead. That was a first. I'll have to move quicker next time. I can see the jokes coming now.

Greg
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2010
    Janne wrote: »
    Thank God the driver is ok! :)

Well I got my first golf ball wacked in my head last Sunday. Luckily it bounced one time before it hit. Otherwise I don't believe I would be typing right now. Still managed a 9 on the par 3. After 367 apologies by the Japanese guy I let him off with a warning.:mad: Coincidently my friend beat me for the first time in a year. :eek: Can smell some conspiracy here.:rolleyes:

I guess you didn't understand FORE!!! in Japanese!;)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2010
    you're not a bass-head. you're a mid-bass-head LOL
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited July 2010
    You really need to post a picture of the damage to your head.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,134
    edited July 2010
    simpsons_nelson_haha2-761053.jpg

Sorry bro had to do it... LOL
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2010
    I guess you didn't understand FORE!!! in Japanese!;)

Fore?! or "FULL!!"

I apologize for the prejudice I've just commited.

I'm also glad to hear the driver is ok, :p
  • kab
    kab Posts: 275
    edited July 2010
    You sure that wasn't a Bose driver? :)
  • headrott
    edited July 2010
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    You really need to post a picture of the damage to your head.

At your request::D

It doesn't look as bad now, the swelling has gone down quite a bit and it's definately less bloody.

Greg

Larry, you Tool!;):p:D

Kab, I don't use that junk in my house!!;):D
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited July 2010
    That looks like the notorious "door knob" knot on the head.
    Your "better half" knocked the crapola out of you. Come on..."Fess up" now.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2010
    At your request::D

It doesn't look as bad now, the swelling has gone down quite a bit and it's definately less bloody.

Greg

Larry, you Tool!;):p:D

Kab, I don't use that junk in my house!!;):D

You better keep it clean or you'll get headrott!:D
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,969
    edited July 2010
    What is that big swollen thing the gash is attached to? ;):D
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,969
    edited July 2010
    kab wrote: »
    You sure that wasn't a Bose driver? :)

there is no way a coffee filter can do that kind of damage!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,315
    edited July 2010
    I don't know man... I think it would be more painful to stare at that mug in the mirror on a daily basis.:eek::D;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2010
    Willow wrote: »

Excellent.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,134
    edited July 2010
    What is that big swollen thing the gash is attached to? ;):D

Classic on both parts LOL;)
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited July 2010
    Greg don't feel bad that's nowhere near as dumb as the #2 dumbest thing i've ever done in my life (I won't talk about #1 cus i'm still paying for it 30 years later and will be for the rest of my life :() the story go's like this.

Back in 1979 i was foreign car mechanic (with REALLY long hair) and went to work for a Volvo dealership. So i get this 144 in for a clutch job, everything's going great i got the car up on jack stands and the gearbox with an overdrive out sitting on my chest, i go to roll out from under the car and my nice long hair gets wrapped around one of the wheels on the creeper so tight i can't budge or even move the gearbox off my chest without trying to rip the hair off my head. So right about now i'm thinking maybe i should get a hair cut or at least put it in a ponytail. I had to have one of the guys in the shop come over and cut me lose with a pair of tin snips ouch! Haven't had long hair since. The dumb part was i knew better and i knew i knew better because that hair had been getting caught in all kinds of stuff.

What's the saying "Young, Dumb and full of ..." you get the idea.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • greyford1979
    greyford1979 Posts: 749
    edited July 2010
    Just be glad it wasn't the sub out of an SVS ultra 13...you would be eating thru a straw and wearing adult diapers:eek::p
    I love animals, they're delicious!
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2010
    gim54pod wrote: »
    Greg don't feel bad that's nowhere near as dumb as the #2 dumbest thing i've ever done in my life (I won't talk about #1 cus i'm still paying for it 30 years later and will be for the rest of my life :() the story go's like this.

Back in 1979 i was foreign car mechanic (with REALLY long hair) and went to work for a Volvo dealership. So i get this 144 in for a clutch job, everything's going great i got the car up on jack stands and the gearbox with an overdrive out sitting on my chest, i go to roll out from under the car and my nice long hair gets wrapped around one of the wheels on the creeper so tight i can't budge or even move the gearbox off my chest without trying to rip the hair off my head. So right about now i'm thinking maybe i should get a hair cut or at least put it in a ponytail. I had to have one of the guys in the shop come over and cut me lose with a pair of tin snips ouch! Haven't had long hair since. The dumb part was i knew better and i knew i knew better because that hair had been getting caught in all kinds of stuff.

What's the saying "Young, Dumb and full of ..." you get the idea.

Great . . . long hair story!!! Here's my "you big dope" long hair story.

Back in my late teen years my hair was down to my chest and half way down my back. To make it more illustrative my hair was very full and bushy like a long lions mane.

I'm in a movie theater with a two inch hash pipe. I put my head way down between my legs below the seat and go to light up the pipe when FLASH, just like the flash of a camera, the whole right side of my hair goes up and it lit half the theater up. Stunk like all hell. Needless to say, I never didn't do that again but didn't get my hair cut until much latter. As a matter of fact I got it cut cause I got in a fight with a guy and was beating the daylights out of him when he grabed two fistfulls of my hair on each side of my head and started pulling with all he had to the point of swinging me around almost to the point of ripping it out. At that point I was powerless to do anything but to hold on to the two ropes of hair to keep it from being ripped out. He got tired let go and I went flying and my head was bleeding like hell on both sides and the fight was over!:eek:

I got my hair cut the next day.;)