Does It Really Get Better Than This

Options
thor098
thor098 Posts: 38
edited April 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been slowly upgrading and my signature shows where I'm at. I worked with a Parasound engineer today and he helped me set the gain on the amps to accomodate my 2100 preamp.

The sound is not quite live sounding, but I'm getting close. What is left? Can anyone put it into words?
2 CH
Parasound 2100 preamp
Polk Lsi15s
powered by a
Parasound HCA 1500a
2 Passive JBL 10" Subs
powered by a second
Parasound HCA 1500a

HT
Denon 3311-CI
Polk Lsi15 Fronts
Polk LsiC Center
Polk Lsi7 Surrounds
2 Passive Polk 10" Subs
powered by ADCOM 545
Post edited by thor098 on

Comments

• fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Whats your source?CD,DVD,music server,etc?
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • Driver_King
    Driver_King Posts: 266
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Tweeter upgrades, crossover upgrades, interconnect upgrades, isolation... That's just on the speaker part.:eek::D If you haven't already, there's also acoustic treatments you could do and isolation/raising your subwoofers. After that, upgrading your actual subwoofers. It can only get better, believe it or not. ;)
    Home Theater:

Onkyo TX-SR805
    Behringer EP2500 for SDA's

Polk SDA II fronts
    Polk Monitor 5Jr. surrounds
    Polk Monitor 4 back surrounds

DIY A7-900 and DIY A3-300
  • thor098
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The source at this time is just an IPOD with Lossless. I also have an Oynko cd player and I don't hear any difference. Will a better CD player make a big difference?
    2 CH
    Parasound 2100 preamp
    Polk Lsi15s
    powered by a
    Parasound HCA 1500a
    2 Passive JBL 10" Subs
    powered by a second
    Parasound HCA 1500a

HT
    Denon 3311-CI
    Polk Lsi15 Fronts
    Polk LsiC Center
    Polk Lsi7 Surrounds
    2 Passive Polk 10" Subs
    powered by ADCOM 545
  • Driver_King
    Driver_King Posts: 266
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Get an SACD player. Get DSOTM. Enjoy. ;)
    Home Theater:

Onkyo TX-SR805
    Behringer EP2500 for SDA's

Polk SDA II fronts
    Polk Monitor 5Jr. surrounds
    Polk Monitor 4 back surrounds

DIY A7-900 and DIY A3-300
  • dougy
    dougy Posts: 182
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'd get rid of that "Oynko" CD player. They're real pigs.:D
    THE MAN-CAVE 5.1 CHANNEL A/V RIG
    Sony KDS-60A3000
    a/d/s/ HT-400LCR (3)
    a/d/s/ HT-300 (2)
    Velodyne DLS-4000R (2)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi
    Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai
    Sony BDP-S300
    Sony SLV-779HF
    DirecTV HD sat. receiver

MAN-CAVE 2-CHANNEL RIG (shares sources with a/v system)
    Adcom GFA-5500
    Bose 901 Series VI
    NAD C-165BEE
    Slim Devices Squeezebox Classic
    TEAC CD-RW890
    Technics SL-BD20D w/ Audio-Technica P34
    Akai HX-A3X
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2010
    Options
    thor098 wrote: »
    The source at this time is just an IPOD with Lossless.

Good start, but.... Are you using the iPod's DAC? If so then STOP. You need a Wadia iTransport and an external DAC to even start thinking of getting better. Of course, you will need to upgrade the Wadia power supply, and the digital cable, but even the stock Wadia, stock cable, and DAC is a great improvement.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • thor098
    edited March 2012
    Options
    OK, just a follow up. It's a year and 1/2 later and I've learned a few things about "better" sound. At the time when I asked "what gets better," I had just updated to a Parasound pre-amp from using a Marantz 2170. I knew it sounded better but couldn't really figure out why. After months of the Parasound, I went back to the Marantz. I learned that the highs and the imaging were much better on the Parasound and everything was so much warmer sounding. Now I've updated my speakers to Magnepan MG 12's. Although they are missing some of the bass and the wide soundstage of my SDA's, everything really came to life. It's pretty cool. Other's have talked about how the soundstage can include depth. I didn't really understand until I hooked up the Maggies. The details and the depth are amazing. I don't think I'll love them forever though. They just seem to be lacking something. I hope someday to get the Polk LSI15's but no one around the Minneapolis, St. Paul area sells them so I have no way to get a demo. I'm hoping they combine the imaging and depth of the Maggies with the warmth and bass of my old SDAs.
    2 CH
    Parasound 2100 preamp
    Polk Lsi15s
    powered by a
    Parasound HCA 1500a
    2 Passive JBL 10" Subs
    powered by a second
    Parasound HCA 1500a

HT
    Denon 3311-CI
    Polk Lsi15 Fronts
    Polk LsiC Center
    Polk Lsi7 Surrounds
    2 Passive Polk 10" Subs
    powered by ADCOM 545
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited March 2012
    Options
    It really all depends on one's tastes.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ...(of the mg12's)...I don't think I'll love them forever though. They just seem to be lacking something...

I've owned a number a Maggies, including the MG-12's. If you like their sound, try moving up the Maggie line. Your next stop would be the 1.6's (or 1.7's). Your soundstage will get much larger, and you'll get deeper, more visceral bass. Next stop after that is the 3.6's (or 3.7's). This is where Maggies get really special. This model uses a True Ribbon tweeter as opposed to the Quasi Ribbon in the 12's and 1.6's. the 3.6's also have even lower, more textural bass, but the midrange is what makes them phenomenal, at any price.
    (of the LSi-15's)...I'm hoping they combine the imaging and depth of the Maggies with the warmth and bass of my old SDAs...

I think you'd be disappointed. I currently own, and listen regularly to, Maggies, SDA's, and LSi's. The LSi's do kind of bridge the gap between the SDA's and Maggies, but they don't do their respective attributes nearly as well. They'd be a big compromise. I say, if you've got the room, use both SDA's and Maggies. Keep the SDA's in place, and move the Maggies in and out when you want. Just make sure to put them as far in front of the SDA's as possible. I did this for a while. It was great, no compromises. I, like you, am looking for a speaker that is a "best of both worlds", but the LSi ain't it.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'm hoping they combine the imaging and depth of the Maggies with the warmth and bass of my old SDAs.

They won't. I'd choose SDA's over LSi 15's everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. IMO, a properly set-up and run pair of SDA's can have some Maggie-like attributes as far a soundstage, none of which LSi15's can really touch. LSi 15's are still very nice speakers, but not on par with a proper set of SDA's and farther away from the Maggie sound than SDA's.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Having owned all the speakers discussed (Maggie MMG, MG-20, Polk SDA 1c, SRS 1.2/2.3TL, and the LSi-15's) I agree fully with Brock that the SDA is the best of both worlds solution over the rest, with exception to the large Maggies. I get tight clean bass, liquid mids and highs and a depth that startles me at times. The need far more room to breathe than the SDA's do, but the realism with proper amplification and source components is stunning. Stay with SDA if you cannot set the Maggies at least 3/4 feet into the room.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • thor098
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Wow, some unexpected replies. Glad I never bought the LSI's on a whim. It's mostly like MHARDY said, It really all depends on one's tastes. But there is something special about the SDA's. My wife loves them because you can listen to them at a fairly high volume and yet be able to talk in the room. They are just so comfortable to listen to. We'll see what happens to the Maggies over time. I'm not letting go of the SDA's yet.
    2 CH
    Parasound 2100 preamp
    Polk Lsi15s
    powered by a
    Parasound HCA 1500a
    2 Passive JBL 10" Subs
    powered by a second
    Parasound HCA 1500a

HT
    Denon 3311-CI
    Polk Lsi15 Fronts
    Polk LsiC Center
    Polk Lsi7 Surrounds
    2 Passive Polk 10" Subs
    powered by ADCOM 545
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Have you spiked, upgraded the Xover in the SDAs, dynamatted the drivers and applied norez, upgraded Binding Post and IC to your SDAs?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ^What he said^

Also, have you upgraded your source yet? How about cables?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• thor098
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I have not made any mods to the SDA's. I'm not sure I'm up for all that. As for the upgrading the source? Nope not yet but thats next on my list. I've been able to hear a couple demos at a local audio shop - Audio Perfection in Richfield, MN - so I know the difference that will bring. I'm thinking about using a Mac Mini as the music server and then I'll have to decide on the DAC.
    2 CH
    Parasound 2100 preamp
    Polk Lsi15s