What a joke!

Options

Comments

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2010
    Options
    "Free trade" works only in one direction. Not really big news, and yeah, nice rant :(.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    As pointed out in my earlier response, the good taxes has nothing to do with our health care since 45% of the income tax I pay is for the health care program. Not too sure where the goods taxes go?????????

The post count was his, I was teasing him stating that he had no excuses and should know I never kid around :mad::rolleyes::(:p

Thus the reason in Canada to focus the concentration of taxes on the middle class since it brings more money anyway, clever isn't it? ;)

For one it may be looked at the mod level as politics? Or maybe not knowing how I would react to your posts I would :o and then would get :( and maybe worse get :mad: and then tell you to :p

LessisNevermore, don't worry as I pointed out I'm always :mad: so it can't get worse and I am not :p I hope you are not :confused: cause it would :o me and who knows maybe I then will get :mad:er

I know you never did :( pity on poor little me, at least burry us with Pies :D I'll check them out tomorrow, let's see if you can change my mood to this ;):D:cool:

TK out for the night :p

That's a lot of emoticons.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited May 2010
    Options
    LessisNevermore, don't worry as I pointed out I'm always :mad: so it can't get worse and I am not :p I hope you are not :confused: cause it would :o me and who knows maybe I then will get :mad:er

It's :cool:
    too funny.:D
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You should have drilled him Fred!!! :D:D:D;)

As in a Bobby Clarke slash to the ankles Joe?:D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »

Yep, he had that down to a science.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That wouldn't have been very nice...:eek:
    "To me, that was the low point of the series. If Clarke hits him with a body check and knocks him out, that's fair and square. To go out and deliberately try to take somebody out, there's no sportsmanship in that."

"To me, it's the same as shooting a guy in the hallway. Clarke was probably the only guy on the whole team that would have done it. We had a lot of tough guys on that team but there weren't many guys who played hockey that way. We had guys who would stand up and look you right in the eye, punch you in the nose if you had a fight, but I don't think they would bushwhack. But that's the way Clarke was as a player, and that's the team he's put together down in Philadelphia. That's been his trademark. But it's a free country."

- Canadian hockey hero Paul Henderson recalls the historic 1972 series between Canada and the USSR. Valery Kharlamov, widely regarded as the best Soviet player, missed game seven and was ineffective in game eight after a slash to the ankle from Canada's Bobby Clarke. (Canadian Press, Sept. 16)
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    That wouldn't have been very nice...:eek:
    Not really.:D

Good find on the article,Clarkes dirt bag move cheapened what is otherwise a great moment in Canadian sports history.:(
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not really.:D

Good find on the article,Clarkes dirt bag move cheapened what is otherwise a great moment in Canadian sports history.:(

Hmmmm . . . kind of reminds of the high sticking rule. Rule; high sticking, two minutes in the penalty box. Rule; high sticking and drawing blood, four mintues in the penalty box.:eek::D:p

Singling Clarke out for his play is very easy and that doesn't take away from him being a great player.

I don't think there are many hockey players who have never slashed an opponent, Clarkey just had it down to a science. I did't like that he put some players out of action by doing it, but can someone tell me what the difference between punching the daylights out of another player and putting him out of action or checking an opponent extremely hard against the boards thus knocking the opponent senseless and Clarkey giving a cheap slash to the ankle? It's a rhetorical question.

How about the several hockey players over the years that would make a career habit out of blind siding a defenseless goalie who roams out of the crease?

How about Scott Stevens hit on Eric Lindros that put him out. Clean hit? It was deemed so even though even though he used his shoulder on the up swing to hit Lindros on the point of his chin. Stevens was famous for that move throughout his career and it's never brought to the forefront.

[IMG]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVeqzYgTELk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVeqzYgTELk&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/IMG]

Point; many, many excellent players had/have a move that would knock an opponent out of a gaime. Hockey is a rough sport and taking out an oppenent has always been part of the game. Targeting Clarke as the only one or the worse one whose done it is just hatin'.

This applies to most sports. Take baseball for instance, a runner going from first to second goes out of his way, and the base path I might add, with spikes high trying to take out the second baseman to stop a double play. Legal? Yes/No? Cheap? Yes/No, it doesn't matter as it is part of the game.

Don't get me started with football.

Flame suit on!!!:p
  • BeRad
    BeRad Posts: 736
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Just your free healthcare cost taxes alone could be the reason you guys have to pay such high prices for goods. Canada's minimum wage in almost double that of the US but then again, minimum wage is a joke here anyway.

Look at England's income taxes. They're something like 75% to cover all the social programs and free medical care!:eek:

The taxes aren't that bad. The biggest issue is the difference in price BEFORE taxes.

In Ontario: 13 % taxes, and I pay roughly 20% income tax. Cost of living in my city is dirt cheap though.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    BeRad wrote: »
    The taxes aren't that bad. The biggest issue is the difference in price BEFORE taxes.

In Ontario: 13 % taxes, and I pay roughly 20% income tax. Cost of living in my city is dirt cheap though.

But that is my point. Perhaps the high prices are hidden taxes to accomodate the need to pay for free healthcare or other programs that Canada may have. By your own admission your taxes in Ontario is relatively cheap not to mention that in your neck of the woods the cost of living is "dirt cheap." I'm just suggesting that the high cost of merchandise might be due to the fact that the revenue generated by it is what is paying for free healthcare which BTW healthcare is very expensive.

Look at the sin taxes here in the states. Cigs, booze, even gasoline, all have extremely high hidden taxes to pay for whatever a particular state needs to fund.
  • BeRad
    BeRad Posts: 736
    edited May 2010
    Options
    But that is my point. Perhaps the high prices are hidden taxes to accomodate the need to pay for free healthcare or other programs that Canada may have. By your own admission your taxes in Ontario is relatively cheap not to mention that in your neck of the woods the cost of living is "dirt cheap." I'm just suggesting that the high cost of merchandise might be due to the fact that the revenue generated by it is what is paying for free healthcare which BTW healthcare is very expensive.

Look at the sin taxes here in the states. Cigs, booze, even gasoline, all have extremely high hidden taxes to pay for whatever a particular state needs to fund.

That is true for certain regulated products. Pack of smokes here is 10 bucks. Gas floats around $1 per liter, and booze varies greatly, but a 26'er of Havana Club is 27 bucks. All examples are taxed because there is government regulation involved. They are not hidden tax either. The gas pumps show a pie chart with who gets how much of every dollar you pump. It is also well advertised that tobacco and liquor are taxed in before hand. Liquor in Ontario is not private so you a buying right off of the government. :)

Regular retail does not hold any "hidden tax". I am involved with a company that produces their own product, distributes it for resale, and also retails it straight out the door to Joey Consumer. Nothing is paid to the government except income tax and the sales tax at time of sale. I have never been able to find any reason to price differences for products that are made in Canada.
    Anything imported makes sense to a certain degree since there will be import fees, and items may be subject to sales tax charged to the importer/resaler, but it wouldn't be enough to justify up to 300% differences.
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    singling Clarke out for his play is very easy and that doesn't take away from him being a great player.
    Clarke was a great player,thats why he was always selected to represent team Canada in the '72 series and later in Canada Cups.But what he did to Kharlamov was a delibrate intent to injure.The fact that he suceeded to remove the Russians best player from further play IMO takes away from the teams incredible accomplishment. The dirtiest player I have ever seen was ex Flyer Steve Downie.He played some of his Junior hockey locally before being drafted by Philly.He could be the most dominate player on the ice then the next minute he would be carving a guy up in the corner with his stick.:eek:

How about Scott Stevens hit on Eric Lindros that put him out. Clean hit? It was deemed so even though even though he used his shoulder on the up swing to hit Lindros on the point of his chin. Stevens was famous for that move throughout his career and it's never brought to the forefront.
    I remember seeing that and it's hard to watch,big E always had his head down ,not a good thing to do when Steven's was on the ice.Steven's hits were borderline to be sure.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Clarke was a great player,thats why he was always selected to represent team Canada in the '72 series and later in Canada Cups.But what he did to Kharlamov was a delibrate intent to injure.The fact that he suceeded to remove the Russians best player from further play IMO takes away from the teams incredible accomplishment. The dirtiest player I have ever seen was ex Flyer Steve Downie.He played some of his Junior hockey locally before being drafted by Philly.He could be the most dominate player on the ice then the next minute he would be carving a guy up in the corner with his stick.:eek:

I remember seeing that and it's hard to watch,big E always had his head down ,not a good thing to do when Steven's was on the ice.Steven's hits were borderline to be sure.

I was going to mention Lindros always having his head down ( and up his arse) but then that would have taken the punch out of my point with Stevens.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That is true for certain regulated products. Pack of smokes here is 10 bucks. Gas floats around $1 per liter, and booze varies greatly, but a 26'er of Havana Club is 27 bucks. All examples are taxed because there is government regulation involved. They are not hidden tax either. The gas pumps show a pie chart with who gets how much of every dollar you pump. It is also well advertised that tobacco and liquor are taxed in before hand. Liquor in Ontario is not private so you a buying right off of the government. :)

Regular retail does not hold any "hidden tax". I am involved with a company that produces their own product, distributes it for resale, and also retails it straight out the door to Joey Consumer. Nothing is paid to the government except income tax and the sales tax at time of sale. I have never been able to find any reason to price differences for products that are made in Canada.
    Anything imported makes sense to a certain degree since there will be import fees, and items may be subject to sales tax charged to the importer/resaler, but it wouldn't be enough to justify up to 300% differences.

Well there is much more to say than, I think you guys are getting raped with prices being what they are. It makes no sense that and item made in Canada is more expensive in Canada than the US.:eek:
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think you guys are getting raped with prices being what they are.
    It certainly feels that way sometimes.:(
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Lord Stanley's cup was in town.Philly may or may not see it soon but the Moose brought it to our city today.
    http://www.mykawartha.com/videozone/823066

Ooops, sorry this OT I should have posted it elsewhere.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That's a lot of emoticons.
    It was fun creating that post ;) However, I know someone else could be a lot more creative (I love playing with words but not used so much to play with smilly and other faces) :D
    Yes, it seems like the transporters are taking advantage (abusive) of the border crossing fees.

In Quebec, we pay roughly 15% on the goods. Most of Canada uses combine taxes with the federal government. In Quebec we pay the federal tax and we pay provincial tax also what really gets me is that we also pay tax on the tax (pay prov. tax over the fed tax) :confused::eek::confused:

Same for the income taxes, Canada has one income tax for to fill and again it is combined with the provincial share (it differs from province to province. I think Newfoundland is the most taxed, I think...)

In Quebec again we have to fill and pay taxes for the federal government along with a separate income tax declaration for Quebec tax purpose. We therefore pay a lot more on our incom tax. In fact, I've been thinking to possibly move to Ontario at pension time in order to save on my living costs... not counting that there might be a cost on the government pesion we get in Quebec (Quebec is the only province (that I know) that controls the federal government pension plan for its citizens)

Your wrong Joe as I mentioned, Health care in Quebec is 45% of what we pay in income taxes. Ontario and I believe the rest of Canada is different since you buy your share of the Health care program and if this hasn't changed I believe it is not even mandatory that you participate however I think one would be a fool not too.

As far as hidden taxes on cigs booze gaz etc... Berad has mostly eplained we do pay for such but in fact it is mostly hidden in Quebec (we do know they are there but the specific detailed amounts are not displayed). In Quebec our electricity is a government corporation so profit made from such goes back to the government. The same applies for booze as Berad has mentioned, and the profits goes to provincial governments not federal therefore booze pricing are different from provinces to provinces. During Xmas holidays, I know many Quebecers go to Ontario to buy their booze since it is cheaper. Out west isn't bad either as I can recall.
    hearingimpared;1351087]Well there is much more to say than, I think you guys are getting raped with prices being what they are. It makes no sense that and item made in Canada is more expensive in Canada than the US.:eek
    :Hard to believe isn't it? However, nothing is ever black or white. Canada is known as one of the best country to live (I guess the rating isn't as high up there anymore but still). In fact I personnally believe health care is one of the best thing (however, lets not elaborate too much on that aspect as I know this is a big frustrating debate in the US presently so we don't want to turn this thread into a war zone).

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,883
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It boils down to supply and demand there are only 38 mil people in canada so less people want or need the products. Therefore making more expensive
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    It boils down to supply and demand there are only 38 mil people in canada so less people want or need the products. Therefore making more expensive

+1 on what your saying Willow. Technokid, I hear what your saying and understand your frustration. This is what I do when it comes to making any purchases. I do a lot of research on price and availability. Then I decide whether I can wait (which raely happens) or whether I want it as soon as possible. Usually my research takes me a while. Sometimes you need to get creative on how your going to get it, if its comming from out of country. IE: I have friends in the United States, so sometimes I will send them money and they will make the purchase and ship to me. Bottom line is we all want a good deal and yes American customes have access to a lot more choices at a better deal. That said, they have to pay a lot for health care and perscription medications if they do not have a plan. Yes we pay a lot of taxes, so we do pay for health care but at least we don't get sick and have a surprise huge expence to cover.
    I guess what I'm saying is everything is relative
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Everything is relative,agreed. But from what I see, some are trying to circumvent the system that was set up to give you what you wanted from the government. IMHO,anyway,if Canadians wanted that system,swallow the medicine,know what I'm saying? Complaining about the costs of products, taxes, and then trumping up the social benefits, ya gets what ya pays for.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    http://www.polkaudio.com/dealerlocator/international-listings.php?country=Canada&type=Home
    International Dealer Locator Results
    Canada Locations
    There are currently no dealers selling Home products in Canada. Please check back soon.
    :confused::eek::confused::eek:

What is going on, this is even worse :confused::eek:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I really don't care.
    You must be getting old Keiko, you are repeating your self:p;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I really don't care.
    You must be getting old Keiko, you are repeating your self:p;)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA Seems to me he really doesn't care!!!:D:p
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAA Seems to me he really doesn't care!!!:D:p
    I know you are old too anyway :D:p
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I know you are old too anyway :D:p

Hey bub as you know, getting old is a $%^th but it beats the alternative!:eek::D
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I hope we don't have to do that, Gus. :rolleyes:

We all have to Lillian but I would hope I get another 20 to 30 years!:eek::D
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    We all have to Lillian but I would hope I get another 20 to 30 years!:eek::D
    You want to someday be vintage :cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You want to someday be vintage :cool:

I'm already past that point!:p
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm already past that point!:p
    So, aiming toward antique or recycle? ;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Options
    80 year old Soylent Green.