What a joke!

TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited May 2010 in The Clubhouse
I am not much for ranting but there are limits :mad:

When I first joint CP one of my first thread was about the fact that I couldn't see MSRP's anymore and while that upsetted me it upset some members in other ways.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80166
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1029816&postcount=49

I use MSRPs and typical US pricing in order to evaluate real value of the product. The sub PSW505 is a good example of what I mean as recently in the US the value is in the area of 250$ (this is basically a discontinued product that is sold at substantial savings in order to make ways for the newer products IE: DSW sub line). The below is outrageous:

Canadian offering (CDN $):
Hi Rene,

The item you’ve been watching has dropped below your trigger price (actually their MSRP) of $749.99:

Product: Polk Audio PSW505
Manufacturer: Polk Audio
URL: http://www.pricecanada.com/p.php/Polk-Audio-PSW505-PSW505-497703/
Price: $660.00 (Sellers: 1)
US offering(US $):
quantity of item 1
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer Each
Item #: N82E16882290130
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$150.00 Instant
$399.99
$249.99
:rolleyes: heh, wake up this thing is 250$ in the US:confused: Who do you think Canadians are? Someone looking for big fishes?:mad::mad::mad:

Yesterday, I checked Frys since the Hitmaster was apparently on sale. Frys apparently deal with Canadians and provide for their convenience Canadian shipping and pricing in their currency. Guess what, after check out the Hitmaster was nearly double the Polk MSRP ($18x.xx cdn) :confused: Is there that much difference between US and Canadian currency :eek: Is the Hitmaster that heavy that it requires hefty shipping costs :confused: As someone else pointed out yesterday, How about this free trade bable :confused: Is this only a one way street :rolleyes:

This is only a rant, I am choked about this abuse. Why should Canadian pay so much more for the same product? We are North Americans just like the US, there is a so called free trade bablle. I wonder where this abuse is actually coming from. I hope people now realize where I am coming from when I ask why Canadians can not see Polk's MSRPs. I don't want to be taken for a big fish :mad::mad: (the only thing that might be confusing for US Canadians is the fact we potentially have to pay double the tab :mad:)

Maybe this is some way to force Canadians to buy local brand speakers, I don't really think this is fair for Polk business in Canada (their price are too good, lets crank it up while going across the border) :rolleyes:
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
Post edited by TECHNOKID on

Comments

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2010
    I don't know, but I'd look at shipping and especially duty charges going across the border.

Still, I wouldn't be happy either.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2010
    I am not sure I understand. Who are you complaining to?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    First hit on google for Canadian to US dollar.

1 Canadian dollar = 0.953107 U.S. dollars Seems almost equal to me.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I am not sure I understand. Who are you complaining to?
    Simply VENTING about this kind of unfairness ;)
    First hit on google for Canadian to US dollar.

1 Canadian dollar = 0.953107 U.S. dollars Seems almost equal to me.
    Yup and doing simple math makes us realize that the difference in $ value can not justify the huge pricing difference!
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    I don't know, but I'd look at shipping and especially duty charges going across the border.

Still, I wouldn't be happy either.
    Shipping such a small and lightweight speaker (the HM) shouldn't be that much of a difference. In the case of the PSW505 shipping isn't even applied yet :eek: As far as duty, how about the free trade babble?

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited May 2010
    Moose and Polar Bear insurance.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2010
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Simply VENTING about this kind of unfairness ;)

Yup and doing simple math makes us realize that the difference in $ value can not justify the huge pricing difference!

Shipping such a small and lightweight speaker (the HM) shouldn't be that much of a difference. In the case of the PSW505 shipping isn't even applied yet :eek: As far as duty, how about the free trade babble?

Cheers!
    TK

I don't know about the US/Canada border anymore (I used to live in Seattle, and there used to be a duty fee), but I can tell you free trade or not, you have to pay duty on some stuff if not all stuff over a specific amount crossing back from Mexico, I don't know the amount or the specific rules (I don't buy much when I'm there), but it's there.

edit....here's some info on import costs into Canada

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada.htm
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited May 2010
    Shipping takes in to account the size of the box. They average the weight. So if you have a box that measures 6" x 6" x 10" and it weighs 12 pounds, the avergae may be 8 pounds. thereby you make out on the deal because shipping cost is cheaper.

If you have a box that is 22" x 12" x 16" and the average for that size range is 20 pounds but your box weights 12 pounds, then you get screwed on the shipping costs.

Why is this? Transportation by plane, ship or truck has limited space. So they pack as efficiently as possible the send the most packages. But, carriers charge rates by weight. So, in order to make up the costs for mailing all the packages and still get a profit out of it, they average out the weight by given volume of a cube. Essentially, if you have a big, hollow speaker box which has a weight that is only 1/3rd the average for it's box size, you will pay for 100% of the avergae because you box takes up more space than it's weight should warrant.

I hope that made sense but that's why big things like subwoofers cost so much to ship. Weight doesn't really become a factor until you get in to freight weights. That is different for each carrier. It can be as low as 45 pounds and as high as 70 pounds for the lower limit.

Oh and alot of the extra cost in shipping to Canada is due to taxation on the carriers, not just exchange rates and declarations costs.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    edited May 2010
    Every pair of Polk speakers provides healthcare for 5 Canadian children....
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2010
    They charge Canadians more because they have to put up with all of their ranting BS. ;)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited May 2010
    szhleppy wrote: »

They were thinking of the children? Wow! And all this time I had them figured for Matt's merry band of baby punchers. I guess you learn something new every day, huh?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    It's because Canadians don't have a sense of humor.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2010
    Face wrote: »
    It's because Canadians don't have a sense of humor.
    Youve got that right sweetheart.;)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited May 2010
    Stick with buying in Canada :). My last two transactions with people in Canada sucked, and will never ship there again..
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited May 2010
    This is why I buy most of my stuff used and have it shipped here. It still comes out being cheaper buying there and shipping it back home. You could bring a crappy sub to the states make sure they know you are then bring the good one back as long as it's out of the box and such. Never tried that with big items. People do it for tires all the time
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited May 2010
    Stick with buying in Canada :). My last two transactions with people in Canada sucked, and will never ship there again..

You have not had to deal with me then!
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Moose and Polar Bear insurance.
    Wild life protection care plan I guess? :)
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    I don't know about the US/Canada border anymore (I used to live in Seattle, and there used to be a duty fee), but I can tell you free trade or not, you have to pay duty on some stuff if not all stuff over a specific amount crossing back from Mexico, I don't know the amount or the specific rules (I don't buy much when I'm there), but it's there.

edit....here's some info on import costs into Canada

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada.htm
    Thanks for the link :D
    Because of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadians do not have to pay duty on most American and Mexican manufactured items. But be careful. Just because you buy an item from a U.S. store does not mean it was made in the United States. It's quite possible it was imported into the United States first and, if so, you may be charged duty when it comes into Canada. So check before you buy and if possible get something in writing from the e-store in case the Canada Customs people decide to be particular.
    In light of the above I guess the point is that Polk are actually manufactured in china, right? :(
    Jstas wrote: »
    Shipping takes in to account the size of the box. They average the weight. So if you have a box that measures 6" x 6" x 10" and it weighs 12 pounds, the avergae may be 8 pounds. thereby you make out on the deal because shipping cost is cheaper.

If you have a box that is 22" x 12" x 16" and the average for that size range is 20 pounds but your box weights 12 pounds, then you get screwed on the shipping costs.

Why is this? Transportation by plane, ship or truck has limited space. So they pack as efficiently as possible the send the most packages. But, carriers charge rates by weight. So, in order to make up the costs for mailing all the packages and still get a profit out of it, they average out the weight by given volume of a cube. Essentially, if you have a big, hollow speaker box which has a weight that is only 1/3rd the average for it's box size, you will pay for 100% of the avergae because you box takes up more space than it's weight should warrant.

I hope that made sense but that's why big things like subwoofers cost so much to ship. Weight doesn't really become a factor until you get in to freight weights. That is different for each carrier. It can be as low as 45 pounds and as high as 70 pounds for the lower limit.

Oh and alot of the extra cost in shipping to Canada is due to taxation on the carriers, not just exchange rates and declarations costs.
    Enlightning thanks! Doesn't however make me any :Der.
    szhleppy wrote: »
    What you mean, I already donated to enfant soleil :confused::rolleyes::p

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    By the way, there is a lot of BALONEY-CRAP in all of this in example; for the people that are aware of the ZENN electric car; the company has office in Toronto, make the cars in Quebec and US consumers pay les for the car than Canadian do (don't forget shipping this car to the US is more expensive than shipping to my home)... this crap is definitely not a two way street! Same applies to Hydro Quebec electricity we manufacture it, US pays les than we do and over that we have to pay the costs for mean of shipping to the US (subsidise)... I guess in conclusion free trade has to be a one way street :(

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Willow wrote: »
    +1 TOOLFORLIFEFAN, don't forget that Canadian money spend in the US goes into US pockets. I don't think you should spit on Canadian money nowadays, right ;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Willow wrote: »

I can vouche for that. You are not the only shippment I've made to Canada either. I shipped to Joe Paraski and to JanMike and JM1 to name a few! No problems at all.:)
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited May 2010
    Wow, it must suck to be Canadian.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    TK, move here, problem resolved.:eek: For every problem . . . there is a solution!;):D
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    I can vouche for that. You are not the only shippment I've made to Canada either. I shipped to Joe Paraski and to JanMike and JM1 to name a few! No problems at all.:)
    Yep, from what I understand they are all stand up individuals. Same for me and I am even quicker and happier to pay for what I order or deal for especially when getting a deal. There has been many good deals (steal) that I would have considered on the FS if it weren't the fact that going through the borders would have killed the deal :(

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • mdaudioguy
    edited May 2010
    TK, move here, problem resolved.:eek: For every problem . . . there is a solution!;):D

Just make sure you carry your papers, especially if you're very Canadian-looking.
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Wow, it must suck to be Canadian.
    Not really.;)
  • mdaudioguy
    edited May 2010
    FTGV wrote: »
    Not really.

Ahhh, I was just kidding. I imagine it's very nice to be Canadian.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Few more years to go and then I, my sister and her husband are talking about travelling for a year and of course we will be going through the states however... possibly 6 to 10 years (depending early retirement or not) :cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited May 2010
    Well if it was someone from here I would think about it but what a pita the last two times shipping there. I really think the border between the US and Canada are tighter then the border between Mexico and the US.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Just make sure you carry your papers, especially if you're very Canadian-looking.
    Never had any problems going across when I was in the military. Since the 9-11 tragedy its been a lot harder and especially the last couple years. You now need a passport and all just like any other travellers.
    Ahhh, I was just kidding. I imagine it's very nice to be Canadian.
    Of course, nothing is all black and white as an example I spent about a month in hospital and was financially covered for the last 4 months +. This kind of blessing would be a whole lot harder in the US (in example: Ben would have been taken good care of in Canada).

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Well if it was someone from here I would think about it but what a pita the last two times shipping there. I really think the border between the US and Canada are tighter then the border between Mexico and the US.
    I wouldn't be surprised, Mexico is pretty close to be US in my book.
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    I imagine it's very nice to be Canadian.

Yeah,for the most part.The Beaver and Polar bear attacks are a **** but all thing's considered it's good.