be careful what you buy... polk audio

Options
2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,068
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Didnt the old Denon players not play CD-r, CD-rw? Correct me if Im wrong, but thats stupid.................................................................................
    Dude I seen a $14,000 Denon CD Player at Sound Systems down here. You know what? It coud hold one cd. Looked ella cool. Had a transport, and it sounded pretty awesome! But for $14,000? NO WAY! For 14,000 - It be better play 300 cds, make it sound awesome! Have a transport! and look ELLA COOL! YEAH! Im not a Denon fan either! Anywho - I just woke up!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yes jaster,
    sorry I picked the wrong name for some reason or another.......you got rt16's with bad drivers your selling???LOL

We all have our products that we love and love to hate.
    ATCVenom loves to hate Denon for his personal reasons.Me???I hate Carver products.I have found there built quality,harsh **** transistory non dynamic sound quality to be slightly annoying....but we all have products that we feel this way.....maybe not as strong as ATCVenom or myself.

I will go on record to say the following.....
    Denon is a very well respected company and makes great affordable products.They have my full support in there respected classes.Tweeter once sold Yamaha products more then Denon due to popularity,build quality,sound quality,reliability,etc,today Denon has the upper hand.We sell 8 times more Denon then Yamaha.Denon still is broken out of the box from time to time.There DVD players are like a plague......more then not they are broken.Yamaha is trying to make a strong comeback with adding Video upconverting and all current formats to there lineup.Even powered Multiroom is finding it's way into the Yamaha world.One thing is for sure in my opnion is that Denon products sound much better then Yamaha.I once was on the other side of the fence defending Yamaha's honor....but the war has shifted in recent years and now I believe in Denon.......

back to ATC,
    yes he is young at this hobby and makes some outlandis remarks/purchases,what have you......but I believe we are all students
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I have to chime in on the Denon subject...I owned several Denon products in the past 10 years or so. One thing about Denon, they are reliable! the old integrated amp series were built like tanks! and I think it is really a function of price back then. In the early nineties, Denon brand is synonymous with quality. Then they start offering units at much lower price point, that's when they get bashed a lot. Lately, with the exception of Denon 3800 DVD (which plague with problems, but has gotten much better since then), and within the context of its respective price points, they offer value and quality. At one point, I was seriously considering their mono block PMA series amps (I think), but decided not to do it due to its price point (yes, is too expensive!)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I do have 2 pair of the 16's, and while one of those pairs is currently functioning as my cable modem stand, more is always better. :D

If you went to his link and scrolled down, you'll see where he mentions that all 4 of the drivers are blown. Not only did he somehow magically blow 4 RT16 drivers, but also a PSW300 driver, and one of the car woofs. He makes no mention as to if all of his speakers spontaneously combusted on him, but I'm sure that it was the evils in the world that all settled on HIM......surely nothing that he did could make 6 drivers blow around the same time......:rolleyes:

My offer still stands.......$20 for the boxes as everything else would need replacing........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    Options
    With all the speculation in this thread, I'd be very suprised to hear from jaster again to offer up some sort explantion on how it all happened.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ah, when someone is so mad and set that somthing/someone IE: company wronged him that he starts a web site/page about it, usually means he don't need an explanation from us, his mind is already made up..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dcarlson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Exactly, I've never been down that road myself thank god, but I can understand where he's coming from.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    ...Im not a Denon fan either! Anywho - I just woke up!

Maybe you should wait to post AFTER you've had your morning cup of coffee. LOL :)

I bought my Denon 3803 5 months ago and it was my first Denon product ever. I've owned Sony and Pioneer AVR's in the past. My Sony was under powered and my Pioneer just sucked ( not the Elite line mind you ). Neither sounded as good as the Denon either. The Denon is much heavier than either of the others and just reeks of good quality. The sound is awesome especially with my new RTi's.

I lost my senses a few years back and also bought a Sony DVD 5-disc player. It cost me $660 new and over the course of the next two years, I sank another $300 into the player getting it fixed each time it broke.

I am no longer a Sony fan although others may be. So to each his own based on their own experiences.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • dcarlson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Denon here too.

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2003
    Options
    JK,

I had the same problem with a Sony DVD Player. Paid good damm money for it and two days after the warranty it crashed forever. Could not even get them on the phone, just an e-mail stating they would fix for 200 bucks. No way, me and Sony got a divorce that day. See I have not put them out of business though.:D

So it happens, but I am not likely to give up my polk's anytime soon.
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Bastages!!

Every single last one of ya! :D

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

yoda.gif
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm just gonna have to agree with that... jkratzer that is......

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Just in case you guys couldn't tell, ATC did that in his best Anakin (on the verge of crying) voice.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I......bashed them........every single one of them...

And not just the flagships, but the mid-lines, and the affordables too....

They sounded like trash and I bashed them like trash....

I Hate them....

That was not lost on me, gidrah - total genius. :cool:
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Not to take Jaster's side but in my experience the spiders on polk speakers did tend to seperate from the basket more easily than some other brands. Especially during the RT16 / PSW300 / DB Car Speaker Era.

That being said I can't believe you could blow 6 drivers without abusing them. A driver will sound very bad with just part of the spider seperated, I can't believe he waited until they were completely seperated.

I fixed a partially seperated spider on a DB10 driver 3 years ago with a few drops of super glue and it still pounds to this day.

-Jason

-Jason
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    Options
    *sighs*
    I have ascertained a bit of respect for JBL, but only a little.
    Sean

Now I definately wish you could've made it to Midwest Audiofest 2003. The JBL Hartsfield based Classic Audio Reproductions stole the show.
    Make it Funky! :)