Karma - Monoprice Fabulousness!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    He was/is such a versatile actor.

;)
    Who could forget his moment of glory as the clumsy waiter in "Kentucky Fried Movie"? :p

Fried! I get it! Maybe a sequel is in order. Starring the venerable Professor Hardy! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    I am reminded of the redoubtable Roy Blount, Jr's poem on the gustatory delights (or otherwise) of oysters.
    Song to Oysters

I like to eat an uncooked oyster,
    Nothing's slicker, nothing's moister.
    Nothing's easier on your gorge
    Or, when the time comes, to dischorge.

But not to let it too long rest
    Within your mouth is always best.
    For if your mind dwells on an oyster ...
    Nothing's slicker. Nothing's moister.

I prefer my oyster fried.
    Then I'm sure my oyster's died.

- Roy Blount, Jr.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited June 2018
    I loved his character in kelly's heroes.
    https://youtu.be/ncbEucjsNFU
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    I'm on my way!

6f85r2kc5eqt.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Mr. Fried and later his son are responsible for some of the best sounding speakers ever made. His Fried model H speaker kit (worth Googling) was the forerunner of the satellite/subwoofer systems we now enjoy. That subwoofer was just plain fantastic! We used to sell his speakers and hosted a few "meet the designer" soirees that were educational, to say the least.
    Sorry for the thread interruption.
  • mhardy6647
    Mr. Fried and later his son are responsible for some of the best sounding speakers ever made. His Fried model H speaker kit (worth Googling) was the forerunner of the satellite/subwoofer systems we now enjoy. That subwoofer was just plain fantastic! We used to sell his speakers and hosted a few "meet the designer" soirees that were educational, to say the least.

I concur (not that your opinion needs any affirmation from me!) -- and the IMF loudspeakers (with which he may have had little to do other than giving them their name) were also very fine in that British way. That same British way that inspired Mr. Polk & company, way back when (at least, according to the ads and catalog copy of the time). :)

28112017459_e1e931639d.jpgIMF Supercompact2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Has the phoenix finally landed?
    update -- looks like it's s'posed to be here tomorrow. Further details as events warrant.

• mhardy6647
    ...We used to sell his speakers and hosted a few "meet the designer" soirees that were educational, to say the least.

PS, Ken, not an unwelcome "interruption" at all; thanks for sharing perspective on Mr. Fried & his loudspeakers!

Forgot to mention that before.

Yes, @clipdat it is here -- the weather is too darned nice for hifi at the moment,
    but it will, eventually, get dark tonight -- late tonight -- and I'll unbox and have more to share.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Has the phoenix finally landed?
    update -- looks like it's s'posed to be here tomorrow. Further details as events warrant.

I believe so...

Guys, we need to be ready to help Doc, so we should all probably start heading his way right about now, I can smell the smoke here in Florida...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    I hear no sirens....yet.

I'm not at all convinced Doc has given proper thought to this and self preservation techniques. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    (interestingly -- chloroform isn't flammable... but ether is. Boy howdy, is it flammable.)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    The H subwoofer was a two channel transmission kit and was known as the "coffin" woofer. It used two of the famous KEF200 woofers that had upgraded motor structures. It could actually play 16Hz with clarity and definition.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    The Monoprice hybrid amplifier is unboxed, hooked up and will go online presently.

Anyone care to guess the first song that I shall play through it?
    (there are of course many apt choices given the backstory -- but one rose to the top for me very quickly).
  • mhardy6647
    "Light My Fire"

oh, that woulda been a good one!

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    Talking Heads. Burning down the house...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited June 2018
    The Monoprice hybrid amplifier is unboxed, hooked up and will go online presently.

(there are of course many apt choices given the backstory -- but one rose to the top for me very quickly).

Burning down the house? Ken beat me to it, first one that came to mind. Speaking of talking heads @mhardy6647 :D:D
  • Clipdat
    How does it smell?
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Burning down the house? Ken beat me to it, first one that came to mind. Speaking of talking heads @mhardy6647 :D:D

Ding, Ding, Ding! :)

I guess I need to send you something now -- what do you "need" that I might have extras of? :)

Carousel CD player?

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited June 2018
    I was thinking this one would be it;
    The Ohio Players "FIRE". :D
    https://youtu.be/3UvYHhIEASw
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Are those the Dayton bookies?