SDA2b's

Options

Comments

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    It is 4 screws to pop a driver out and look at the back of it. It takes just a couple of minutes.Don’t need to worry about the crossover but while the driver is out you should be able to see the Crossover
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    ThomasD wrote: »
    65rjrkg8n5je.jpg

Those are the 2A's. If the drivers are good, new tweets and crossover will make them sound great!

How can you tell if they are 2A's or 2B's by the front? I honestly don't know....reason I ask is my 2B's look exactly like those. On the back, there is a "B" sticker in the top right of the large label.

Ancient Chinese Secret...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    65rjrkg8n5je.jpg

Those are the 2A's. If the drivers are good, new tweets and crossover will make them sound great!

How can you tell if they are 2A's or 2B's by the front? I honestly don't know....reason I ask is my 2B's look exactly like those. On the back, there is a "B" sticker in the top right of the large label.

Ancient Chinese Secret...

No kidding. Seems to be some kind of secret. The 2B's have different drivers and are easier to TL. The 2A's have identical drivers but are more expensive to TL. I'm assuming the XO's are where all the magic is different then.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Yes,the 2a's have dual crossover boards where the 2b's have a single board.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • ThomasD
    Options
    So in the 2 years difference between the 2A's (3rd gen.) & 2B's (4th gen.) did they figure out how to fit 2- 4lb boards of electronics onto 1- 8lb board??? ;)
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Not sure where you are getting the boards in weight. The 2b’s have one crossover.
    r53k2rphxtvj.jpeg

Where the 2a’s have 2 crossovers.
    tuhdjkrpafjj.jpeg
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    It should be pointed out that Polk never designed or approved modification of the 2A in order to use the SL3000/RD0198.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Options
    Sorry, I was exaggerating the weights. Just making note of the fact that the quantity of drivers didn't change but the configuration/layout of the XO's seems to have been reduced. Was that because of an advancement in board design? I personally haven't seen either set of boards so I am curious.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It should be pointed out that Polk never designed or approved modification of the 2A in order to use the SL3000/RD0198.

Does that hold true for all Polk speakers that didn't originally have the SL3000?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited April 2018
    Options

Does that hold true for all Polk speakers that didn't originally have the SL3000?

Aside from 2B's and single SL2000 tweeter CRS I believe yes.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Hmm.. Did not know that. Were the 2B's ever produced with SL3000's or was that simply a Polk approved upgrade? Don't want to sound ignorant but then is TL'ing a set of 2'A's or Monitor 7/10's a negative or bad thing?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Hmm.. Did not know that. Were the 2B's ever produced with SL3000's or was that simply a Polk approved upgrade? Don't want to sound ignorant but then is TL'ing a set of 2'A's or Monitor 7/10's a negative or bad thing?

I believe that Monitor 7's and 10's both have a SL2500 variant so that's out of the equation.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Options

No, but Polk had a plan via a published schematic to release the CRS+ with the SL3000 tweeter and call it the 4.1TL. It just so happens that the CRS+ crossover and mid-drivers are exactly the same as the 2B. There was also a plan via a published schematic to release the Monitor 10 with the SL3000, but I'm not aware of such a plan for the Monitor 7.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It should also be noted that taking a 2A and making it a 2B/4.1TL is not that hard,and can be done, same goes for the CRS (single tweeter) to a CRS+/4.1TL..

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    What does "TL" stand for?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,694
    Options
    Tri-laminate

Does it apply to tweeters, mid-woofers, or both?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
  • Viking64
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Tweets only

What's odd is that I keep seeing this phrase pop up, even in Polk literature and in Ray Smith's "SDA Handbook".

6.5” Diameter tri-laminate polymer bass-midrange MW6500
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    It should also be noted that taking a 2A and making it a 2B/4.1TL is not that hard,and can be done, same goes for the CRS (single tweeter) to a CRS+/4.1TL..

Then for the 2A that would mean swapping out the pair of 6510's for a 6503 stereo woofer & one 6511 dimensional woofer then finding or building a correct 2B XO ??
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Tweets only

What's odd is that I keep seeing this phrase pop up, even in Polk literature and in Ray Smith's "SDA Handbook".

I should have prefaced it by saying I've never seen anyone TL mod and make mention of having to replace the MWs as well.

Now, given the model # you have listed, that would mean that the TL MW would have predated any TL speaker by over a decade. Something is amiss.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options

Then for the 2A that would mean swapping out the pair of 6510's for a 6503 stereo woofer & one 6511 dimensional woofer then finding or building a correct 2B XO ??

No need to swap MW drivers. This is all about the tweeter section
  • Viking64
    Options
    I should have prefaced it by saying I've never seen anyone TL mod and make mention of having to replace the MWs as well.

Now, given the model # you have listed, that would mean that the TL MW would have predated any TL speaker by over a decade. Something is amiss.

I just did further research and I found several pre-TL speakers listed as having various model numbers of tri-laminate mids. And not just in text that was typed by a person listing things, but actual text from brochures, etc.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Tweets only

Marketing speak for the dopped paper cones. The tweeter have vapor deposited metal on the domes hence tri-laminated.
  • Viking64
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Marketing speak for the dopped paper cones. The tweeter have vapor deposited metal on the domes hence tri-laminated.

So, they used the term "tri-laminate" for 5 years strictly as a marketing tool until they finally actually used a true tri-laminating process on their tweeters starting in 1989?
  • ThomasD
    Options

Well, I was referring to actually transforming the 2A's into 2B's/CRS+ first, then adding the SL3000 with any necessary XO upgrades to follow along with the planned Polk "published schematic" that @F1nut was mentioning. I mean would this keep things on a more 'authentic' track?
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Well, I was referring to actually transforming the 2A's into 2B's/CRS+ first, then adding the SL3000 with any necessary XO upgrades to follow along with the planned Polk "published schematic" that @F1nut was mentioning. I mean would this keep things on a more 'authentic' track?

Then buy 2b's. Switching out all but the cabinet is crazy talk.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Then buy 2b's. Switching out all but the cabinet is crazy talk.

I certainly don't disagree. But available Polk SDA's are few and far in between here.
  • F1nut
    Options

I can't agree with that. The 2A and 2B use different drivers with different cap and inductor values. Not to mention there is an extra resistor in the 2A tweeter circuit.

The overall balance has to be considered because it will be affected.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options

I can't agree with that. The 2A and 2B use different drivers with different cap and inductor values. Not to mention there is an extra resistor in the 2A tweeter circuit.

The overall balance has to be considered because it will be affected.

Not if you find the drivers you need, sell the original drivers, buy a set of gimpods boards, buy the necessary XO parts, a pair of RDO 198’s and rock on, you’re not really out anymore if you upgraded a set of 2B’s...