SDA2b's

Options
Ok, so I'm pretty new here to the Polk Forum. Haven't been into 'serious' audio since my teens & early '20's (30+ years ago). Recently decided I needed to start really listening to quality music before my tinnitus gets much worse. Broke out my Cambridge Azure 351 CD player, picked up a Rega Brio amp and a Project Acryl TT. Was convinced that I wanted to go with some Heritage Klipsch Speakers since I've got a great sounding Klipsch RVX surround sound Home Theater set up and a friend that's a local Klipsch dealer. However, I happened to see a pair of Polk Monitor 7's listed on CL and started researching them. Well, needless to say your all aware of what I discovered about the 7's and Polk speakers in general. So, went and looked at them. Along with a mint pair of 7's I discovered a true Polk affectionado (who's also a fellow member here) that had 2 other pairs of 7's multiple 10's, an amazing pair of SDA's (not sure which ones but they had to be nearly 5' tall) and even another pair of LSi9's. The one pair of 7's & Lsi9's were the only ones for sale. After listening to the original, unmolested 7's I was smitten. They came home with me. I wanted the Lsi9's too but didn't think I had the power to run them and I'm really taken with the older, vintage look. After some intensive listening I decided to upgrade the 7's with new RDO198's (I found the highs a bit harsh and fatiguing) and am having the crossovers reworked by DHS speaker service. Though the cabinets are really in pristine shape they will eventually be re-veneered.
Anyway, now I'm on the prowl for more vintage Polk speakers. Found a pair of SDA2's on CL for $380. Think they are SDA2b's. What's a real world price for these and is the interconnect cable necessary?
Thanks
Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    For 2B's that's a fair price and the SDA cable is absolutely necessary otherwise they are just another pair of stereo speakers.

What model tweeter did your Monitor 7's come with?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Options
    SL1000's were original. And they don't have the interconnect cable. Is it available, or can it be built ?
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Correction. One speaker had an SL1000, the other had an SL2000
  • F1nut
    Options
    Which model are you talking about?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Options
    One of the Monitor 7’s had an SL1000 tweet, the other an SL2000.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Interesting. Well, both of those tweeters are bright, so I'm not surprised you didn't like them. David will get you sorted out.

The original SDA 2B pin/blade cable is not available. Search here for SpeakOn for a solution to the missing SDA cable.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    That's a reasonable price for the 2B's if they are in real good shape. If they have the interconnect, which is necessary, you could probably get them for $350. If they don't have the interconnect offer $300 - $325.

Check all of the rubber surrounds for any tears or cracks. Take $25 off for every midwoofer with a damaged surround. Take $50 off for every passive radiator with a damaged surround.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ThomasD
    Options
    David has been very helpful and knowledgeable. The pair of 7’s were of two different manufacture dates, ‘84 &’85 but didn’t realize that both SL1000 & SL2000’s were used. Appreciate the valuation information. Was looking for specs and such on SDA2’s and wondering how my Rega would fare with them.
  • F1nut
    Options
    First, you need to know which model they are. The SDA 2 is very different than the SDA 2B.

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Options
    Ok so just got a text that they are SDA2a’s without the IC cable.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I'd pass and wait for 2B's and listen to the Monitor 7's in the mean time. That's just me though, the 2A's are good speakers but they can't be TL'd and they aren't as good looking as the fabric sided and end capped 2B's.

• ThomasD
    Options
    Oh, I was under the impression that they could be TL'd, what other versions can't be?. I appreciate that information. Quality Vintage Speakers are fairly rare up here in the far North. Not holding my breath on seeing 2b's in the foreseeable future but you never know. Probably will hold off on these if they can't be upgraded enough and why doesn't anybody keep the IC cable? I am looking forward to hearing the difference with the TL upgrades to my 7c's that Dave is doing. Kind of a lot of money spent with new RDO198's and complete crossover redo to upgrade 2/way $125 speakers but I tend to keep stuff forever so it's an investment.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Also, is there any value to listing the SL1000 & SL2000 tweets? I'm not asking for money, just if someone could use them.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Yes you could start a karma thread in the club house section
    Titled example "Karma SL1000 & SL2000 tweets".....you can do 1st come first serve, do it by pick a # between 1-50, drawing to be held next Friday

Those are examples
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    TD, welcome to CP!
    Where is "up here in the far North"
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Fairbanks Alaska
  • F1nut
    Options
    It would still be worth acquiring the 2A's. Drop the RD0194 tweeters in, do the crossover upgrades and you can buy a blade/blade cable from Polk or make your own using SpeakOn connections, which would be the better choice.

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Options
    Think so? He say's he's had some SRS 3.1tl's so he seems to know something about Polks. I'll Feel bad if I low ball and insult someone. I do hate to pass up a potentially good deal though. How low should I go $$ ?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    If they are mint, and you have a hard time finding them Most $350
    If not you'd have to judge,
    Here's an idea, click on sold/expired to show ones

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=sda+2a
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Smallies wrote: »
    I had some sweet looking 2A's maybe it was real wood veneer? I'd say 2b studios without end caps are much more plentiful. I've had black and um dark crappy coffee table veneer.

It's just personal preference really.

To me these with the Vandersteen look:

1731867-vintage-polk-audio-sda-2b-home-audio-speakers-excellent.jpg

Look a lot better than these:

1431168-polk-sda2a-tower-speakers-rebuilt-amp-beautiful.jpg

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    ...the 2A's are good speakers but they can't be TL'd and they aren't as good looking as the fabric sided and end capped 2B's.

Not true, the SDA-2As can be TL'd. In fact, westmassguy did it (may be the original 2ATLs) and laid it all out in this thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1

Fun fact for ThomasD ( :) ): David from DHS Speaker Service is our very own westmassguy that is already upgrading your Monitor 7 crossovers! :o

Talk to him about the +'s and -'s of the 2As vs. other SDA speakers. I've gathered that upgrades/mods for 2A crossovers are more extensive and expensive than for 2Bs, possibly because of two-board crossovers (vs. one board in the 2Bs), higher value caps in the 2As, etc.

• ThomasD
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    ...the 2A's are good speakers but they can't be TL'd and they aren't as good looking as the fabric sided and end capped 2B's.

Not true, the SDA-2As can be TL'd. In fact, westmassguy did it (may be the original 2ATLs) and laid it all out in this thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1

Fun fact for ThomasD ( :) ): David from DHS Speaker Service is our very own westmassguy that is already upgrading your Monitor 7 crossovers! :o

Talk to him about the +'s and -'s of the 2As vs. other SDA speakers. I've gathered that upgrades/mods for 2A crossovers are more extensive and expensive than for 2Bs, possibly because of two-board crossovers (vs. one board in the 2Bs), higher value caps in the 2As, etc.

That is in fact a very fun fact regarding westmassguy. However, I was aware or his extensive input and expertise in this forum, that is why I decided to contact him regarding the 7's & thanks to your additional info, looks like I'll be contacting David about the SDA2a's. I really do appreciate all the input and experience of everyone on this forum. There are only 3 forums that I frequent, this forum, the Klipsch forum and the NastyZ28 forum. Guess that makes me pretty narrow minded. Thanks again.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    ThomasD wrote: »
    Think so? He say's he's had some SRS 3.1tl's so he seems to know something about Polks. I'll Feel bad if I low ball and insult someone. I do hate to pass up a potentially good deal though. How low should I go $$ ?

If the seller knows as much as you say he does about Polks, he likely is a member here also and has likely read this thread. Therefore, your offering strategy might be getting exposed. :#

I don't think SDA-2As are worth $300, let alone $380, especially without the interconnect cable. However, when looking at acquiring a pair, you've got to take into account what condition they are in, how rare the pair(s) that you desire are in your area and how much of a hurry you're in to get ahold of them. Also, I'd suggest a preplanning of updating/modding for future speaker purchases and reason out whether it's really doable at the expenses you will accrue in the process. If not, you might not want to make the leap.

The missing interconnect cable on the 2As wouldn't be much of a big deal if you were going to go ahead and have them upgraded with David anyway. I know - pretty sure anyway - he highly favors the Neutrik interconnect cable upgrade over the original cables/connectors.

• ThomasD
    Options
    Smallies wrote: »
    I had some sweet looking 2A's maybe it was real wood veneer? I'd say 2b studios without end caps are much more plentiful. I've had black and um dark crappy coffee table veneer.

It's just personal preference really.

To me these with the Vandersteen look:

1731867-vintage-polk-audio-sda-2b-home-audio-speakers-excellent.jpg

Look a lot better than these:

1431168-polk-sda2a-tower-speakers-rebuilt-amp-beautiful.jpg

And I prefer the 'furniture' look of more wood, less grill. Guess I'm just not a black grill kinda guy. We've also got 4 Italian Greyhounds that are absolutely convinced no speaker with a black grill will go unmolested!!
  • Nightfall
    Options
    What, your opinion is different than mine? Now we have to fight I guess.

• ThomasD
    Options
    What, your opinion is different than mine? Now we have to fight I guess.

I do like a good fight and on a Sunday no less !!! Seriously though, my tastes have changed over the years. I was of the more grill, less wood look in my younger days. It has a more contemporary/modern look and I do appreciate that. My wife has influenced my tastes lately with her preference towards a more 'mid century' look. Also, think 'black' grills are wearing on me, the older, light colored, tweed look grills should be coming back into vogue. Imo.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Nightfall, by the way I absolutely love your Avatar. A truly classic entertainer that I never get tired of seeing.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Westmassguy has confirmed that his primary speaks are SDA-2A's that he TL'd. Not an inexpensive upgrade and sounds like I'd need a different amp with at least 200 watts of clean power. I do love shopping for new equipment (even when I can't afford it). Guess the speakers are still not out of the question if I can get the seller down to an agreeable $$ figure. But would have to wait a bit for the the upgrades and look into obtaining the IC cable & amp. Then have to try to explain to my wife that another pair of speakers sitting in the garage is vital to national security. Was looking at CL in the Phoenix & Seattle areas and found several SDA's available for anywhere from $200-$750 a pair, some with and w/o IC cables. Shipping up to AK would be out of the question though.
  • cascius
    cascius Posts: 175
    Options
    Yeah, upgrading 2As is quite expensive. I went through the process and I'm happy I did, but from what everybody has been saying, 2Bs are much easier/cheaper to upgrade. Even if you pay $100 more, you might be better off to go the 2Bs route.
    Main System:
    Front: SDA 2ATLs
    Center: CS2
    Surround: M40s
    Sub: PSW505
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
    Amp: Carver AV 705x
    TV: Samsung LN52A650
    Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
    Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U
  • ThomasD
    Options
    cascius wrote: »
    Yeah, upgrading 2As is quite expensive. I went through the process and I'm happy I did, but from what everybody has been saying, 2Bs are much easier/cheaper to upgrade. Even if you pay $100 more, you might be better off to go the 2Bs route.

Cascius, is the Carver running the SDA's without any issues? I know that was quite the amp in it's day. Apparently still is for 20+ years old. Did you do your own upgrades & how much (approx.) was it?